Who would be a good late round draft pick for runningback?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by cltchperf, Apr 9, 2013.

1. cltchperf

cltchperf Pro Bowler

I know miami has plenty of needs and I've seen the posts about who they should get with the first rd and second rd picks. Miami has a bunch of picks this year and I don't want miami to draft a running back high but miami does have quite a bit of later round picks and I think they could and should use a pick say 4th or 7th or maybe undrafted. All I know is runningback for whatever reason positions seems to be a position especially past years where good runningbacks can and have been found more so or often than the other positions. Just look at Alfred Morris last year picked in the 4th round and the other runningbacks undrafted or late round that can be good or very good. I know miami has Lamar Miller and I like him, I think he can make big plays for miami, but I thought his run blocking is not so good and I see him as more of a speed, not really getting big yards up the midde, grind it out, good running back. And I just don't think too much of Daniel Thomas, he's alright as far as I've seen. I think miami should draft another runningback, because miami is going to want to try to make sure runningback is good for them, especially should lamar miller get injured. They helped out Tannehill with Mike Wallace pick up and I believe are going to draft some o line men to help, but a good running back or good runningbacks are essential not just for an offense and qb, but especially a young qb like Tannehill. So I was wondering what running backs you think would be or could be a good pick between 4th rd to 7th round? Or any ones that could fall to those rds?

2. Miamifinz

Miamifinz Philbin is an idiot Donator

I'm biased but a healthy Chris Thompson from FSU would be a nice COP back.

3. rickyboay

rickyboay Rookie

Lattimore from SC. Sure he may not contribute this year, but this kid is golden on and off the field.

4. FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard FearTheBurke

Zac Stacy from Vanderbilt. Think he could be had in the 5th.

5. Fintastic2124

Fintastic2124 A True Fan

I saw that kid live vs NCST and he looked like NFL talent to me. They couldn't stop him. Ran some wildcat if I remember correctly.

6. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I think we take a runningback before our third round picks are gone. We have nothing proven at runningback and Thomas looks like a bust. Miller has potential but way too little seen to know

7. DolphinDevil28

DolphinDevil28 I like boobs. Finheaven VIP Donator

Spencer Ware

8. UGAxFIN

UGAxFIN grrrrr

I would LOVE to pick up Marcus Lattimore in the mid-rounds. If it wasn't for the injury, he would have been a top ten pick. He is worth the gamble.

9. JakeMcAwful

JakeMcAwful Irish Dolphan

I'm hoping the phins take Spencer Ware too. he can be had in 5th easily, provides a tough, downhill runner who has good experience blocking and catching. Not to mention his body adjustment in traffic makes him well suited to the zone blocking scheme. I'd see him eventually replacing Thomas as the #2 back.

10. Playmaker76

Playmaker76 Well-Known Member

Jonathan Franklin is the best RB in the draft. Runs like Frank Gore. I'd take him in the 3rd if he's still there.

11. cltchperf

cltchperf Pro Bowler

Yeah I think miami needs to have running back be a strength and not just decent especially since they have a young qb, who they wouldn't want to put all the pressure on in the passing game and for the running game to be strong as well. Third rd seems to early though since miami seems to have a bunch of needs and a lot of positions, the top talent really diminishes after the 1st and second rd, where fins should pick them. Runningback, it seems like, unless there's an adrian peterson in the draft or next barry sanders, there seems to be less of a drop off with running backs from top of the rounds to later rounds and seems like just as much of a chance of getting good runningbacks later as early. Even top talent runningbacks can fall into third rd, because this being a passing league, so miami could get a 2nd round talent runninback fall to 4th or 5th rd, not because of ability but because of so many teams needing other positions and those falling to them. Maybe 3rd rd, but Idk of any sooner, unless miami is able to get top needs before and the guy is someone that can't miss for runningback.

12. Twitches Brew

Twitches Brew A True Fan

I'd be surprised if Stacy made it to the 5th, I've read 3rd-4th round for him in some places. For that 5th range I think Lonnie Pryor would be a great add, a FB (5'11 230) who runs well: big guy who bangs blocking or running, very good blocker particularly in space, nice leverage and positioning when blocking with his strong lower-body, good feet for his size being a former RB, nice straight-line speed. This video does a nice job showing both blocking and carrying. #24.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doNyjdbdLOM

13. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Benny Cunningham of MTSU in the last round or UDFA.

14. Pat-London

Pat-London A True Fan

The ones I like are;

Rounds 2-3
    Giovani Bernard - UNC

Rounds 4-5
    Knile Davis - Arkansas
    Le'veon Bell - MSU
    Mike Gilislee - FLA
    Theo Riddick - ND
    Marcus Lattimore - So. Carolina

Lonnie Pryor - FSU - listed as a FB but I think this kid could be perfect for the 1 back set Philbin wants to utilise.

Rounds 6-7
    Ray Graham - Pitt
    Rex Burkhead - Neb

15. cltchperf

cltchperf Pro Bowler

someone mentioned john franklin. I didn't look at mock drafts, but he was one that came to my mind after looking on nfl.com and seeing the running back evaluations. This is what I saw and liked reading from john franklin "Admittedly, I wasn't a huge fan of Franklin's prior to this season, but my evaluation quickly changed. Like Ellington, Franklin boasts outstanding straight-line speed and great vision to find back-side lanes. And once he gets to the second level, Franklin makes tacklers miss with shifty hips. Projection: Second round"-

I like when I see great vision and shifty hips, speed can be overrated sometimes, what gets runningbakcs good yards is their ability to see the cut backs and small gaps very quickly and their ability to break tackles and make guys miss. Great vision helps find the gaps and shifty hips means he can make a defense miss in open field.

christine michael seems good to even though he's had injures, but if picked in later rds he's worht risk to me. He does have girl name though for his first name ha..thought I won't hold that against him

16. Joba-nator

Joba-nator Rookie

I like Miguel Maysonet from Stony Brook

17. Wishfishin

Wishfishin Waterboy

Rex Burkhead late. Guy's a baller...

18. DiIenno93

DiIenno93 Well-Known Member

Pending how we fare with our first four picks and whether we have solidly addressed our needs, I would use our 2nd third round pick and grab Lattimore in a heartbeat. I have followed this kid from his days at Byrnes HS and he is a special athlete and a special person. He will be healthy again and sooner than anyone ever expected.

19. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Ditto

20. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

Leveon Bell in the mid rds.

21. hoops

hoops exited stage left

bells a good player but i doubt he gets out of round 4 worst case...guys i like later are stephon taylor who because of what he runs will have a good shot at being on the board til the middle of day 3 and i like ray graham late as well...taylors a nice steal pick on day 3 in the 5th round or so...

jonathon franklin won't get out of day 2...

22. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

I agree with Rex Burkhead late. He's a player and even with few carries could be a great special teamer.

23. Twitches Brew

Twitches Brew A True Fan

LeVeon Bell wouldn't excite me, I think he's being overrated. Big guy who doesn't break a ton of tackles; but what worries me more about him is that he made his living at MSU largely on outside runs, which just sounds strange for a guy that size. Part of it was his bad OLine, sure, but he's just not that good between the tackles (mostly because he's a little slow out of cuts, little burst) and is always looking to kick it outside - that's not going to be there for him in the NFL. You see in this video just how often he's outside the Tackle, I can't imagine him doing this in the League. He is great in pass protection and a decent check-down guy, but that doesn't make up for what he lacks in straight-up carrying. He's worth a 6th, imo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r74G2Mm2xQ

24. hoops

hoops exited stage left

bell played at 240 lbs this year dropped weight to 230 during the draft process to run faster and came away with a 4.62 which isn't a bad # for that size...he says he wants to play at 230 which should help his burst if he can maintain that playing weight some...not that i thought for a big body he had no 2nd gear...he does lack top end take it the distance home run speed but he runs well behind his pads and i think has pretty good pad level and he punishes people and wear em down later in games...as far as a pass reciever if there's a better big back as far as a natural hands catcher and looks like he knows what he's doing in that regard i haven't seen him in this class...plus feet for his size and a very good pass protector...

i think he's be a nice short yardage and change of pace back for us and maybe more...if he last til the 6th round i'll fall out

25. Ruckus45

Ruckus45 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Lattimore at our 3b or 4 would be great. I have a feeling SF might take a shot at him early with all their extra picks. I also like the kid out of Florida, Gillislee. Saw a couple games and thought the kid looked good.

Unless you have a guy like Adrian Peterson starting you in the face I don't think you really need to take RBs before a late third anymore. There seem to be more and more kids with question marks dropping to later rounds for whatever reason that provide good talent and fill a need. RB by committee makes that easier to hide their flaws.

According to MiamiDolphins.com we only have 3 RB on the roster - pretty sure we will be drafting one.

26. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

27. BayonnePhinPhan

BayonnePhinPhan Active Member

How about the Kid from Texas A&M...Christine

28. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

if Michael from A&M is there at 110 I'd snag him.. If he's gone I would take Taylor

29. hoops

hoops exited stage left

if michael from a & m gets there it will be because of character and will probably mean he's off an awful lot of boards...he sure doesn't warrant being still there talent wise...

30. cltchperf

cltchperf Pro Bowler

I agree, especially since it seems like eash year some of the late round or even undrafted runningbacks are as good or even better than the first or second rd backs. Some might be the system for the success of the late round backs, but if a team knows how to select, they can pick the runningback that would be very effective in their system. And some is talent overlooked, maybe because of a smalll school or too much emphasis on a backs speed and not as much on more important qualities like field vision, and quickness, etc. Some of the best or better backs in the league are or have been later rd runningbacks. Look at alfred morris he's been as good as the top round runnningback cleveland drafted. Frank gore's a 3rd rb back, arian foster one of the best backs in the league undrafted.

31. LacesOutTanne34

LacesOutTanne34 Well-Known Member

32. Buddy

Buddy Right Wing Nut Job Moderator Finheaven VIP

I think Lonnie Pryor could be huge. I have watched him since he arrived on campus and he is a stud but was under used. Lattimore in the fifth would be a great gamble for production down the road.

33. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

There's not a ton of talk about Mike Ford, but he's one of the more physically gifted backs in the class. Think he's a natural fit for a one-cut system too.

34. greasyObnoxious

greasyObnoxious I love lamp Finheaven VIP Donator

if he didn't have medical red flags popping up left and right, D.J. Harper

35. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Hard for me to get beyond Dennis Johnson just because I've been onto him for so many years. But in all seriousness I'd also love Mike Gilislee. He made an impression on me. I like Zac Stacy. I like Cierre Wood and Latavius Murray. I like Kerwynn Williams but I do get worried I'm gearing myself toward too many smaller backs. But if that's where the talent takes you so be it.

36. biggiesmalls3k1

biggiesmalls3k1 How Bout Them Fins?!

I like Zac Stacy. Whats the consensus on Kenjon Barner from Oregon? The guy was hugely productive the last 2 seasons, I think he'd be a nice back to pair with Lamar Miller...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2013
  37. waynep

waynep Active Member

Latavius Murray,we supposedly brought him in for a visit.Youtube some of his game footage.

38. RichmondWeb

RichmondWeb Greetings from Portlandia Finheaven VIP

Round 4? Pick one!

Over in FH VIP we have been doing a 7 round collaborative mock and we also did one before free-agency. In our latest draft only 3 RBs were taken before round 4. Sure we're not all experts but there are a lot of good players in this draft at more valuable positions, and so the RBs have slipped. Here is a quick breakdown:

rd1. Lacy
    rd2. Bernard
    rd3. Ball
    rd4. Stacy, Bell, Taylor, Ellington
    rd5. Lattimore, Randle, Michael, Barner, D. Robinson, Gillislee, Franklin
    rd6. so far...Ford, TBD
    rd7. TBD

I think on draft day round 5 will be a RB buffet, and there will be plenty of leftovers in round 6, round 7, and UFA.

RW