Who would be a good late round draft pick for runningback? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who would be a good late round draft pick for runningback?

cltchperf

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I know miami has plenty of needs and I've seen the posts about who they should get with the first rd and second rd picks. Miami has a bunch of picks this year and I don't want miami to draft a running back high but miami does have quite a bit of later round picks and I think they could and should use a pick say 4th or 7th or maybe undrafted. All I know is runningback for whatever reason positions seems to be a position especially past years where good runningbacks can and have been found more so or often than the other positions. Just look at Alfred Morris last year picked in the 4th round and the other runningbacks undrafted or late round that can be good or very good. I know miami has Lamar Miller and I like him, I think he can make big plays for miami, but I thought his run blocking is not so good and I see him as more of a speed, not really getting big yards up the midde, grind it out, good running back. And I just don't think too much of Daniel Thomas, he's alright as far as I've seen. I think miami should draft another runningback, because miami is going to want to try to make sure runningback is good for them, especially should lamar miller get injured. They helped out Tannehill with Mike Wallace pick up and I believe are going to draft some o line men to help, but a good running back or good runningbacks are essential not just for an offense and qb, but especially a young qb like Tannehill. So I was wondering what running backs you think would be or could be a good pick between 4th rd to 7th round? Or any ones that could fall to those rds?

I'm biased but a healthy Chris Thompson from FSU would be a nice COP back.

Lattimore from SC. Sure he may not contribute this year, but this kid is golden on and off the field.

I think we take a runningback before our third round picks are gone. We have nothing proven at runningback and Thomas looks like a bust. Miller has potential but way too little seen to know

I would LOVE to pick up Marcus Lattimore in the mid-rounds. If it wasn't for the injury, he would have been a top ten pick. He is worth the gamble.

Spencer Ware

I'm hoping the phins take Spencer Ware too. he can be had in 5th easily, provides a tough, downhill runner who has good experience blocking and catching. Not to mention his body adjustment in traffic makes him well suited to the zone blocking scheme. I'd see him eventually replacing Thomas as the #2 back.

Jonathan Franklin is the best RB in the draft. Runs like Frank Gore. I'd take him in the 3rd if he's still there.

I think we take a runningback before our third round picks are gone. We have nothing proven at runningback and Thomas looks like a bust. Miller has potential but way too little seen to know

Yeah I think miami needs to have running back be a strength and not just decent especially since they have a young qb, who they wouldn't want to put all the pressure on in the passing game and for the running game to be strong as well. Third rd seems to early though since miami seems to have a bunch of needs and a lot of positions, the top talent really diminishes after the 1st and second rd, where fins should pick them. Runningback, it seems like, unless there's an adrian peterson in the draft or next barry sanders, there seems to be less of a drop off with running backs from top of the rounds to later rounds and seems like just as much of a chance of getting good runningbacks later as early. Even top talent runningbacks can fall into third rd, because this being a passing league, so miami could get a 2nd round talent runninback fall to 4th or 5th rd, not because of ability but because of so many teams needing other positions and those falling to them. Maybe 3rd rd, but Idk of any sooner, unless miami is able to get top needs before and the guy is someone that can't miss for runningback.

I'd be surprised if Stacy made it to the 5th, I've read 3rd-4th round for him in some places. For that 5th range I think Lonnie Pryor would be a great add, a FB (5'11 230) who runs well: big guy who bangs blocking or running, very good blocker particularly in space, nice leverage and positioning when blocking with his strong lower-body, good feet for his size being a former RB, nice straight-line speed. This video does a nice job showing both blocking and carrying. #24.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doNyjdbdLOM

The ones I like are;

Rounds 2-3
Giovani Bernard - UNC

Rounds 4-5
Knile Davis - Arkansas
Le'veon Bell - MSU
Mike Gilislee - FLA
Theo Riddick - ND
Marcus Lattimore - So. Carolina

Lonnie Pryor - FSU - listed as a FB but I think this kid could be perfect for the 1 back set Philbin wants to utilise.

Rounds 6-7
Ray Graham - Pitt
Rex Burkhead - Neb

someone mentioned john franklin. I didn't look at mock drafts, but he was one that came to my mind after looking on nfl.com and seeing the running back evaluations. This is what I saw and liked reading from john franklin "Admittedly, I wasn't a huge fan of Franklin's prior to this season, but my evaluation quickly changed. Like Ellington, Franklin boasts outstanding straight-line speed and great vision to find back-side lanes. And once he gets to the second level, Franklin makes tacklers miss with shifty hips. Projection: Second round"-

I like when I see great vision and shifty hips, speed can be overrated sometimes, what gets runningbakcs good yards is their ability to see the cut backs and small gaps very quickly and their ability to break tackles and make guys miss. Great vision helps find the gaps and shifty hips means he can make a defense miss in open field.

christine michael seems good to even though he's had injures, but if picked in later rds he's worht risk to me. He does have girl name though for his first name ha..thought I won't hold that against him

Back
Top Bottom