Who would you have taken with same picks? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who would you have taken with same picks?

normaniii

Active Roster
Reaction score
Now the draft is over, who would you have taken if you was GM? We can look back at this next year, two years and what most consider the right time to judge a draft in 3 years.

None of us can project trades so, only 2 rules apply. You can stick with the original pick or you can go with the trade made. In other words you cant project your own trades.

Also you are drafting for Philbin. He wants a character guys with a good work ethic, so certain players must be off the board, for example Tyrann Mathieu.

Also try to draft without hindsight. In other words draft with the intention of not knowing how next rounds will fall.

My draft:-

I love the first 3 picks, but think we missed a trick after trade with Saints. I hated the trade up for Will Davis. I thought we could have picked off on all the talent that fell into round 4.

1-Dion Jordan-DE/OLB
2-Jamer Taylor-CB
3-Dallas Thomas-OT
4-Barrett Jones-OG/C
4-Phillip Thomas-SS
4-Quinton Patton-WR
5-Joseph Randle-RB
5-Caleb Sturgis-K
7-Reid Fragel-OT
7-Chase Thomas-OLB

Last edited by a moderator:
Original picks...I think. We gave up a 4th, 5th, and 7th in the Will Davis trade up after trading with NO, they're back now.
1. Lane Johnson OT- Just for insurance and the fact that we have more draft picks now.
2. Jamar Taylor CB
3. Damontre Moore DE
4a. Duke Williams S
4b. Dion Sims TE
4c. Khaseem Greene LB
5a. Kenny Stills WR
5b. Mike Gillislee RB
5c. Dustin Hopkins K
Didn't have a 6th.
7a. Jordan Poyer CB
7b. Braden Brown OT

I'd make one change --- Patton instead of Davis in the 3rd. I also may have gambled and taken Wheaton instead of Thomas with the hopes that Thomas would fall a few spots to the original 3rd round pick.

Original picks...I think. We gave up a 4th, 5th, and 7th in the Will Davis trade up after trading with NO, they're back now.
1. Lane Johnson OT- Just for insurance and the fact that we have more draft picks now.
2. Jamar Taylor CB
3. Damontre Moore DE
4a. Duke Williams S
4b. Dion Sims TE
4c. Khaseem Greene LB
5a. Kenny Stills WR
5b. Mike Gillislee RB
5c. Dustin Hopkins K
Didn't have a 6th.
7a. Jordan Poyer CB
7b. Braden Brown OT

I was thinking about posting a similar thread, glad someone did.

You've got the right idea, I agree with a ton of yours, but without the hindsight of Moore being on the board in the 3rd I think Dion would've been my pick. So, without trading back into the 3rd round:
1. Dion Jordan, DE
2. Jamar Taylor, CB
3. Dallas Thomas, OL
4a. Dion Sims, TE
4b. Quinton Patton, WR
5a. Mike Gillislee, RB
5b. Jordan Poyer, CB
5c. Dustin Hopkins, K
7a. Chase Thomas, LB
7b. Don Jones, S

This isn't hindsight. I actually set myself to drafting right along side the Dolphins in real time. If the Dolphins made a trade I agreed with (Davone Bess, the trade down from 82) then I accepted it. If not (trading up from 12 to 3), then I didn't.

Pick #012: DT Star Lotulelei, Utah
Pick #042: OT Menelik Watson, Florida State
Pick #054: TE Travis Kelce, Cincinnati
Pick #077: WR Stedman Bailey, West Virginia
Pick #104: S Shamarko Thomas, Syracuse
Pick #106: OG Brian Schwenke, California
Pick #109: RB Johnathan Franklin, UCLA
Pick #146: CB Jordan Poyer, Oregon State
Pick #164: WR Mark Harrison, Rutgers
Pick #166: DE Cornelius Washington, Georgia
Pick #224: OT Xavier Nixon, Florida
Pick #250: QB Peter Lalich, California (PA)

Priority Free Agents: DT Darrington Sentimore, DT Kwame Geathers, WR Sam McGuffie, FB Lonnie Pryor, RB Dennis Johnson, TE Joseph Fauria and CB Nickell Robey.

Now the draft is over, who would you have taken if you was GM? We can look back at this next year, two years and what most consider the right time to judge a draft in 3 years.

None of us can project trades so, only 2 rules apply. You can stick with the original pick or you can go with the trade made. In other words you cant project your own trades.

Also you are drafting for Philbin. He wants a character guys with a good work ethic, so certain players must be off the board, for example Tyrann Mathieu.

Also try to draft without hindsight. In other words draft with the intention of not knowing how next rounds will fall.

My draft:-

I love the first 3 picks, but think we missed a trick after trade with Saints. I hated the trade up for Will Davis. I thought we could have picked off on all the talent that fell into round 4.

1-Dion Jordan-DE/OLB
2-Jamer Taylor-CB
3-Dallas Thomas-OT
4-Barrett Jones-OG/C
4-Phillip Thomas-SS
4-Quinton Patton-WR
5-Joseph Randle-RB
5-Caleb Sturgis-K
6-Andre Ellington-RB
7-Reid Fragel-OT
7-Chase Thomas-OLB

I like this list quite a bit.

I did the same Ck as I always do and I didnt include the trade up to number 3 or NO trade but liked and would have traded Bess.
12)Tyler Eifert TE- This would have been a hard decision between him , Jarvis Jones and Star but I feel with young qb a good all around TE would really aid his devlopment
42)johnathon Banks CB- Would have hoped for a Trufant or Rhodes fall and would have changed pick if Carradine had fell more. No other corners seemed starters after him. Also liked FSU tackle alot
54)Terron Armstead T- really liked Lacy with this pick as well as Moore but felt tackles were going off board and some nice pass rusher types were left. Poyer would have been pick if Banks had not been taken
77)Damontre Moore DE/LB- was pretty irked that two wr's I was targeting were gone Allen and Williams but never expected them there. Bailey was an option but Moore has first round talent.
82)Steadman Bailey wr- shocked at the two receivers that go ahead of him. too productive . definately a playmaker . not one other player considered here
104)Barret Jones C-G- was also shocked he was still on board , alex okafor also was gone so basically no brainer to me
146)Zac Stacy Rb- was a very hard choice between him and the back we actually drafted from Florida but doing what he did at Vandy is quite impressive
164)Jordan Poyer CB- Liked him much earlier in draft but we had other needs but at this point some of them are filled and he is best on board- really wanting swope but think undrafted fa is way to go
166)Josh Evans S-like his makeup needs coaching for sure should help as a special teams player
224)Lerentee McCray OLB- like his potential did alot in some big games for the gators
250-Tyler Bray qb- always good value to take a chance on a qb that may develop.

When we drafted kicker I was like great but I was guilty trying to hold out because most kickers in the nfl are not drafted.
I would sign Zach Brown or and quinn sharp as an undrafted FA love to have sharp because he can help u rest the punter since he is good at kicking and punting

This isn't hindsight. I actually set myself to drafting right along side the Dolphins in real time. If the Dolphins made a trade I agreed with (Davone Bess, the trade down from 82) then I accepted it. If not (trading up from 12 to 3), then I didn't.

Priority Free Agents: DT Darrington Sentimore, DT Kwame Geathers, WR Sam McGuffie, FB Lonnie Pryor, RB Dennis Johnson, TE Joseph Fauria and CB Nickell Robey.

I love the Peter Lalich pick and from what I have found so far, no one has picked him up yet. I find that surprising to say the least. he could be serious competition to any team's current #3 QB.

I wouldn't have traded up unless it was for Dee Milliner. Otherwise....

1 (12) - Tyler Eifert

2 (42) - Corey Lemonier

2 (54) - Stedman Bailey

3 (77) - Hugh Thornton

3 (82) - Zaviar Gooden

4 (104) - Shamarko Thomas

5 (146) - Terry Hawthorne

5 (164) - Ryan Swope

5 (166) - Cornelius Washington

7 (224) - Eric Herman

7 (250) - Don Jones

Priority UDFA's - Javone Lawson, Bennie Cunningham, Jake Stoneburner, Alvin Bailey, Jordan Rodgers, Jeff Nady, Zach Sudfeld

1. I like some of your picks...esp. late. Franklin is a steal. Washington is probably a workout warrior, but worth a look at 6.
2. I love the trade compared to what you took at 12. Lotulelei does not move me much. Richardson and Williams are going to make more of an impact. And both DT's who were still on the board.
3. Taylor is a much better selection than Kelce at 54. He was thought of higher in many people's mind and plays a more important position. Sims has similar grade to Kelce everywhere I looked and he was taken two rounds later.
4. Watson is an interesting project, but in the end a chancy decision to pencil him as a starter at OT. We would be looking for insurance anyways in the FA market
5. I cannot argue with JI's picks of Taylor and Sims because I was banging the keyboard on this site hoping they would take them.

Overall you have nice draft, but the Fins actual haul is very solid. No complaints.

1 (12) - Tyler Eifert

2 (42) - Corey Lemonier

2 (54) - Stedman Bailey

3 (77) - Hugh Thornton

3 (82) - Zaviar Gooden

5 (164) - Ryan Swope

7 (224) - Eric Herman

7 (250) - Don Jones

Priority UDFA's - Javone Lawson, Bennie Cunningham, Jake Stoneburner, Alvin Bailey, Jordan Rodgers, Jeff Nady, Zach Sudfeld

thats the only player I thought was worth trading up for esp the drop at cb after him. Thats why I drafted Banks because I felt after him was a steep drop off in talent.
I remember all draft wanting to take Swope but I saw other players that . THe two biggest suprised was Poyer and Swope dropping. Poyer was a fringe 1st rounder to many people that dont have teams to draft for. Swope was overrated on the board but he should have went sooner. Kind of weird Hartline went in 4th and he almost went undrafted .

Stealing CK's format...

Pick #012: DT Star Lotulelei, Utah - BPA
Pick #042: CB Johnthan Banks, Mississippi St - between Banks & Watson, don't want a project this high
Pick #054: OLB Arthur Brown, Kansas St - a favorite of mine, can play all three downs puts Misi on the bench
Pick #077: DE Damontre Moore, Texas A&M - toughest choice, missed Allen by one pick, thought Bailey would fall
Pick #104: FS Phillip Thomas, Fresno St - centerfielder that creates turnovers, Clemens needs competition
Pick #106: RT David Bahktiari, Colorado - need oline help, tough, can play LT in a pinch
Pick #109: C/G Barrett Jones, Alabama - more oline help, versatile
Pick #146: RB Mike Gillislee, Florida - need a power back, missed out on Stepfan Taylor
Pick #164: CB Jordan Poyer, Oregon St - perfect zone corner
Pick #166: DE Cornelius Washington, Georgia - too good of an athlete to let him fall any further
Pick #224: TE Joseph Fauria, UCLA - redzone target
Pick #250: OT Chris Faulk, LSU - knee injury, redshirt him

Can't solve all of the team's problems with one draft. Will look for a TE & slot receiver next year but this draft would've prepared us for most of the impending free agents following this season (Soliai, Starks, Grimes, Misi, Clemons, Incognito).

Stealing CK's format...

Pick #012: DT Star Lotulelei, Utah - BPA
Pick #042: CB Johnthan Banks, Mississippi St - between Banks & Watson, don't want a project this high
Pick #054: OLB Arthur Brown, Kansas St - a favorite of mine, can play all three downs puts Misi on the bench
Pick #077: DE Damontre Moore, Texas A&M - toughest choice, missed Allen by one pick, thought Bailey would fall
Pick #104: FS Phillip Thomas, Fresno St - centerfielder that creates turnovers, Clemens needs competition
Pick #106: RT David Bahktiari, Colorado - need oline help, tough, can play LT in a pinch
Pick #109: C/G Barrett Jones, Alabama - more oline help, versatile
Pick #146: RB Mike Gillislee, Florida - need a power back, missed out on Stepfan Taylor
Pick #164: CB Jordan Poyer, Oregon St - perfect zone corner
Pick #166: DE Cornelius Washington, Georgia - too good of an athlete to let him fall any further
Pick #224: TE Joseph Fauria, UCLA - redzone target
Pick #250: OT Chris Faulk, LSU - knee injury, redshirt him

So u are happy with our wr's , youth wise

1 (12) - Tyler Eifert

2 (42) - Corey Lemonier

2 (54) - Stedman Bailey

3 (77) - Hugh Thornton

3 (82) - Zaviar Gooden

5 (164) - Ryan Swope

7 (224) - Eric Herman

7 (250) - Don Jones

This!!!! I would have stayed put and taken Eifert first than filled in the pieces. I do like that we got Jordan though. I think the only pick I disliked was Will Davis, but hopefully he will get better.

Back
Top Bottom