Who would you rather have as HC: Rex or Philbin? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who would you rather have as HC: Rex or Philbin?

SkapePhin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I used to hate Rex, but lately I've come around to him. I thought the Jets would be a dumpster fire this year and he actually held them together.

Even though I'm not sure Rex is a championship coach, I would take him over Joe because Rex has some visible strengths, including defensive play calling and motivation, whereas Joe doesn't display any noticeable strengths as a head coach

Rex will be yesterday's news in 1-2 more years. He creates an atmosphere of chaos that's not healthy. You don't have to be brash or vocal to be a good coach. I like Philbin. He inherited a lot of players that weren't his and Ireland still makes a lot of the calls.....It takes a little time for a coach to set the example.

Rex is a great DC that got over promoted.
He has had 4 years of on the job training and is only starting to behave like a proper executive.

Philbin has done more with less in less time.

Rex Ryan would do wonders with the talent on Miami's D. He has done a great job this despite a bad roster. Say what you will, but he has had playoff success. Joe has underachieved. Period.

Rex is a great DC that got over promoted.
He has had 4 years of on the job training and is only starting to behave like a proper executive.

Philbin has done more with less in less time.

I am not so sure I agree with this. The talent on the Jets is awful, god awful. Yet, they've won 5 games already when before the season everyone said they will struggle to win a single game. I think this year, Rex Ryan has done more with less than Philbin.

I have found that guys that are "guru" on one side of the ball generally fail as HC. I am not sure exactly why but I assume it is because they can't wrap their mind around the whole package.
Think...
Rex Ryan
Josh Mcdaniels
Mike Martz
Mike Nolan
Marvin Lewis may be the exception but he has had 9 years of on the job training.
Pretty much anyone from the Andy Reid tree

Lots of great coaches were generally unheralded as coordinators
See the Harbaugh's, Tomlin, Dungy, Cowher

That is why I definitely want to avoid the guru coordinator if we can Philbin.

Rex. Likewise, I never thought I'd say this, but i think he'd take Miami's talent and make the most of it. I beleieve that under Rex, we'd have more wins than we do now.

I am not so sure I agree with this. The talent on the Jets is awful, god awful. Yet, they've won 5 games already when before the season everyone said they will struggle to win a single game. I think this year, Rex Ryan has done more with less than Philbin.

Why don't you look at my sentence above this last one.
I think this is the best year of coaching that Ryan has done. Partially because he is actually behaving like a leader not some buffoon looking for a sound byte.

I will say this I would rather have Rex as my DC then Philbin as my OC. I will give you that.

Back
Top Bottom