Who would you rather have as HC: Rex or Philbin?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SkapePhin, Nov 27, 2013.

1. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

I used to hate Rex, but lately I've come around to him. I thought the Jets would be a dumpster fire this year and he actually held them together.

Even though I'm not sure Rex is a championship coach, I would take him over Joe because Rex has some visible strengths, including defensive play calling and motivation, whereas Joe doesn't display any noticeable strengths as a head coach

2. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

Philbin

3. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Rex Ryan on gameday.

4. cuban_refugee

cuban_refugee Football On My Mind 24 Hrs Per Day

Rex will be yesterday's news in 1-2 more years. He creates an atmosphere of chaos that's not healthy. You don't have to be brash or vocal to be a good coach. I like Philbin. He inherited a lot of players that weren't his and Ireland still makes a lot of the calls.....It takes a little time for a coach to set the example.

5. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Philbin

6. trojanma

trojanma FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Rex is a great DC that got over promoted.
    He has had 4 years of on the job training and is only starting to behave like a proper executive.

Philbin has done more with less in less time.

7. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

8. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

this

9. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Rex Ryan would do wonders with the talent on Miami's D. He has done a great job this despite a bad roster. Say what you will, but he has had playoff success. Joe has underachieved. Period.

10. Spiff

Spiff Starter Finheaven VIP

I am not so sure I agree with this. The talent on the Jets is awful, god awful. Yet, they've won 5 games already when before the season everyone said they will struggle to win a single game. I think this year, Rex Ryan has done more with less than Philbin.

11. trojanma

I have found that guys that are "guru" on one side of the ball generally fail as HC. I am not sure exactly why but I assume it is because they can't wrap their mind around the whole package.
    Think...
    Rex Ryan
    Josh Mcdaniels
    Mike Martz
    Mike Nolan
    Marvin Lewis may be the exception but he has had 9 years of on the job training.
    Pretty much anyone from the Andy Reid tree

Lots of great coaches were generally unheralded as coordinators
    See the Harbaugh's, Tomlin, Dungy, Cowher

That is why I definitely want to avoid the guru coordinator if we can Philbin.

12. fleetwoodolfan

fleetwoodolfan Squirrel

Rex. Likewise, I never thought I'd say this, but i think he'd take Miami's talent and make the most of it. I beleieve that under Rex, we'd have more wins than we do now.

13. trojanma

Why don't you look at my sentence above this last one.
    I think this is the best year of coaching that Ryan has done. Partially because he is actually behaving like a leader not some buffoon looking for a sound byte.

14. Ruckus45

Ruckus45 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I can't believe im even seeing this.

15. trojanma

I will say this I would rather have Rex as my DC then Philbin as my OC. I will give you that.

16. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

As a head coach, neither. As a coordinator, Rex.

17. Atila

Atila Atila - the freshmaker. Finheaven VIP

All I have to say about this is Philbin has been a major disappointment this season.

18. flynryan15

flynryan15 A True Fan Donator

None of the above

19. VaPhinatic

VaPhinatic Well-Known Member

Rex. Jets offense is pathetic. QB sucks. WRs suck. RBs suck. Yet Jets have the same record as Phins. That speaks volumes to coaching.

20. JTC111

JTC111 Viva la resistance!!!

I'd take this year's Rex over Philbin. But I don't want him if I have to go through the learning curve he went through.

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

What can't you believe you see? Objective thinking?

21. JayCee

JayCee Starter

They say a team takes on the personality of their coach. Lets see:

Philbin: Boring, unemotional, and controlled. A lot of people say hes cerebral. To be honest, I have yet to really see intelligence in anything he does.
    Ryan: Intense, emotional, and chaotic. Hes the opposite side of the spectrum. He is also not very bright in my opinion.

These characteristics describe the two teams to a tee. The most important thing you need for a coach is football intelligence. These two coaches don't fit that bill in my opinion. Give me Bellicheck, Peyton, Shula, Landry, etc. They all knew and know how to be intense in their own ways, but most importantly; SMART.

22. trojanma

Well two of the Jets wins were essentially handed to them thanks to penalties on the opposing teams on the final play of the game. Tb in week 1, NE in week whatever.

Plus despite being 5-6 they have the second worst point differential in the league. So lets not anoint them as some major measuring stick of success.

23. JayCee

JayCee Starter

Philbin as OC, what has he ever done to merit that title?? He certainly didn't do it in Green Bay or improved the offense here either. One thing I gotta hand to Rex, is you know you are getting a great defense year in and year out.

24. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Rex kept playing Sanchez bullheadedly; Rex fiddled cluelessly as his clubhouse exploded; Rex's empty "guarantees" became another laughingstock; Rex hired Sparano terming him his "mini me" (offensively); Rex got into 1 playoff in 4 years based on merit (without Colts starters who outscored them 45-27 in approx 1.5 games (60-37 pro-rated over 2 games), not to mention tripgate which he skated responsibility on as well as all his personal embarrassments over sexual perversions, harassment and lack of self control. So yeah, we'd be a better defensive team with him as our DC, but his playing Sanchez in exhibition game 4 is akin to The Meatball getting Long injured in the same game. So thanks but no thanks.

25. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

anyone who chooses Philbin doesn't want to win. Look at what rex did w/ the talent last year and what he has done w/ the talent this year. The 2 aren't close, Rex is a top 10 coach in this league.

26. trojanma

It doesn't matter.
    You don't have to be an awesome coordinator to be a great Head Coach. Can't you see that. It is a completely different job description. Philbin got the job because he made a great pitch about his vision for the Miami dolphins.

Look at Mike Tomlin and John Harbaugh. Those guys were no names before they became head coach.

27. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

despite that and the huge minus in TOs he has them w/ the same record as philbin. That should tell you something.

28. MadDog 88

The Jets have a -101 point differential which is the second worse only to Jacksonville. That doesn't happen to a great head coach. I'd love to have Rex as a DC nothing more.

29. trojanma

It tells me that the Jets record is a statistical outlier and should self correct over the back half of the season.

30. MadDog 88

It's not a major accomplishment to be better than Joe Philbin.

31. JayCee

JayCee Starter

I originally had misread what you wrote that you would want Rex as DC, and Philbin as OC. I would definitely agree on Rex, but disagreed on Philbin. My comment was really aimed towards Philbin, cause I wouldn't want him as an OC, or right now as a HC either. I agree with everything you just wrote though, you don't need to be a great coordinator to be a good HC. You do need to have a very high football IQ, which those coaches have.

32. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

being 5-6 w/ that does. keep in mind how awful the QB has been and how he has no choice since our best QB has been hurt all year.

The jobs Rex has done this year and last year have been amazing. The records were better years 1 and 2 and he won 4 playoff games but he has done a better job w/ what he has had to work with the last year and a half.

33. MadDog 88

Rex has done an admirable job in lieu of Mark Sanchez being the best QB on the roster I'll give you that.

34. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

when Philbin gets to the playoffs we can begin to have this discussion.

35. MadDog 88

There's no discussion to be had. Neither is a head coach I would want.

36. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 I can get you a toe Finheaven VIP Donator

Who knew Top 10 coaches didn't make the playoffs?

37. MadDog 88

3 years in a row.

38. SabanHater

SabanHater ***** in the House!

coaching aside… at least Rex has some fire is his belly.

39. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

the fact that he has been in the race w/ his teams the last 2 years has been miraculous.

40. TorontoFin

TorontoFin Trapped in Trudeaupia

This is a bit of a would you rather eat candy or s--t kind of question. No, Rex isn't candy - although he prob eats a ton of it - and I can't stand his personality, but as far as coaching goes, there's no question who I would rather have leading a football team. Philbin and company are arguably the worst, least creative and slowest to adapt coaching staff in the NFL. One can easily argue that between at least 3, and as many as 5, losses are on the coaches. Philbin makes no halftime adjustments at all, he's predictable, and worst of all in an era of football that is predicated on mismatches, he does absolutely nothing to try and exploit the opponents' weakness with his most talented pieces whenever he can (wallace lined up as right flanker 99.9% of the time, few QB rollouts and zero designed runs from one of the more athletic QBs, rarely passes to speedy RB out of the backfield instead daniel thomas is the 3rd round back, can't find a way to use difference-making #3 overall pick more than 30-40 snaps a game, etc..). I mean, Rex is a Billicheck-Bill Walsh super hybrid compared to Philbin.

41. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro

I know it hurts but this is why I'd take Rex. He's had the most, and somewhat only, success against the best team in our division with inferior talent. He has to be doing something right. The team rally's around the guy and he'll have them ready Sunday. His game plan for Miami will be sound and don't be surprised if we fall right into it. In my opinion the Jets game plan should be run, run, run and punt until we beat ourselves. Ours should be aggressive passing to try to get a 10-14 point lead so the Jets need to Pass to get back into the game and tee off on Geno Smith to get the game more out of reach. If this is a last possession game Ryan wins because that's just what the Jets want.

42. trojanma

Gotta love the internet where amateurs can posture like they are experts with little facts or examples to back it up.

43. Third Eye

Third Eye Scout Team

I would take Philbin over Rex simply for the fact that Philbin has class. Neither will go down in history as a great head coach.

44. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I think you have to give Ryan credit for what he has done this year. A 5-6 record with an extremely inconsistent rookie quarterback is an achievement. I thought the Jets would be in the hunt for a top 5 pick and here they are in a weird playoff chase.

That said, it's too early to make a decision on Philibin. In some ways I feel the Dolphins have overachieved considering the mess on the offensive line. I'd like to see what Philibin could do with more talent on that offensive side. The weakness on the offensive line is apparent when Miami needs to run the clock to finish games and just can't get it done. Is Philibin the long-term answer? I just don't know. I think he needs one more year.

45. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Donator

Would you rather have herpes or gonorrhea ...?

46. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Philbin

47. bird33

bird33 Well-Known Member

what has philbin done in miami other than post a 12-15 career record? his teams come out of the gate sluggish and looking disinterested, his halftime adjustments are a disgrace and our offense is a disaster. wasnt he supposed to be an offensive guru? i would take rex any day of the week over this fake, clueless offensive mastermind, joe philbin. i dont know how ANYONE can be happy with the job hes done here!!

48. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

I was kind of torn on whether he's good or not but I forgot about putting Sanchez in against the scrubs trying to make a name for themselves in preseason.

- Tripgate, faking injuries to gain timeouts, and the huge number of penalties his team has committed this year speaks to his character.
    - Whoever thought Sparano would make for a good offensive coordinator is a fool
    - Why didn't he give Tebow a real shot? That makes no sense to me, seems like a pretty good fit for the type of offense he likes to run.

I dunno, I'm still kind of torn. With the right QB I think he would win a lot of games but the penalties and the general lack of discipline would probably sink them a lot of seasons.

49. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Well since Philbin became a head coach he has a better win percentage than Rex and thats with a green QB and Rex having the benefit of a lot more coaching experience. And did it with a horrid GM...

The bottom line is 2 losing seasons in a row spells mediocre at best, and that goes for both of them.

50. CamWakeForest

CamWakeForest Well-Known Member