Who would you rather have as HC: Rex or Philbin? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who would you rather have as HC: Rex or Philbin?

As a head coach, neither. As a coordinator, Rex.

All I have to say about this is Philbin has been a major disappointment this season.

Rex. Jets offense is pathetic. QB sucks. WRs suck. RBs suck. Yet Jets have the same record as Phins. That speaks volumes to coaching.

I used to hate Rex, but lately I've come around to him. I thought the Jets would be a dumpster fire this year and he actually held them together.

Even though I'm not sure Rex is a championship coach, I would take him over Joe because Rex has some visible strengths, including defensive play calling and motivation, whereas Joe doesn't display any noticeable strengths as a head coach

I'd take this year's Rex over Philbin. But I don't want him if I have to go through the learning curve he went through.

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

I can't believe im even seeing this.

What can't you believe you see? Objective thinking?

They say a team takes on the personality of their coach. Lets see:

Philbin: Boring, unemotional, and controlled. A lot of people say hes cerebral. To be honest, I have yet to really see intelligence in anything he does.
Ryan: Intense, emotional, and chaotic. Hes the opposite side of the spectrum. He is also not very bright in my opinion.

These characteristics describe the two teams to a tee. The most important thing you need for a coach is football intelligence. These two coaches don't fit that bill in my opinion. Give me Bellicheck, Peyton, Shula, Landry, etc. They all knew and know how to be intense in their own ways, but most importantly; SMART.

Well two of the Jets wins were essentially handed to them thanks to penalties on the opposing teams on the final play of the game. Tb in week 1, NE in week whatever.

Plus despite being 5-6 they have the second worst point differential in the league. So lets not anoint them as some major measuring stick of success.

I will say this I would rather have Rex as my DC then Philbin as my OC. I will give you that.

Philbin as OC, what has he ever done to merit that title?? He certainly didn't do it in Green Bay or improved the offense here either. One thing I gotta hand to Rex, is you know you are getting a great defense year in and year out.

Rex kept playing Sanchez bullheadedly; Rex fiddled cluelessly as his clubhouse exploded; Rex's empty "guarantees" became another laughingstock; Rex hired Sparano terming him his "mini me" (offensively); Rex got into 1 playoff in 4 years based on merit (without Colts starters who outscored them 45-27 in approx 1.5 games (60-37 pro-rated over 2 games), not to mention tripgate which he skated responsibility on as well as all his personal embarrassments over sexual perversions, harassment and lack of self control. So yeah, we'd be a better defensive team with him as our DC, but his playing Sanchez in exhibition game 4 is akin to The Meatball getting Long injured in the same game. So thanks but no thanks.

anyone who chooses Philbin doesn't want to win. Look at what rex did w/ the talent last year and what he has done w/ the talent this year. The 2 aren't close, Rex is a top 10 coach in this league.

Philbin as OC, what has he ever done to merit that title?? He certainly didn't do it in Green Bay or improved the offense here either.

It doesn't matter.
You don't have to be an awesome coordinator to be a great Head Coach. Can't you see that. It is a completely different job description. Philbin got the job because he made a great pitch about his vision for the Miami dolphins.

Look at Mike Tomlin and John Harbaugh. Those guys were no names before they became head coach.

Well two of the Jets wins were essentially handed to them thanks to penalties on the opposing teams on the final play of the game. Tb in week 1, NE in week whatever.

Plus despite being 5-6 they have the second worst point differential in the league. So lets not anoint them as some major measuring stick of success.

despite that and the huge minus in TOs he has them w/ the same record as philbin. That should tell you something.

despite that and the huge minus in TOs he has them w/ the same record as philbin. That should tell you something.
The Jets have a -101 point differential which is the second worse only to Jacksonville. That doesn't happen to a great head coach. I'd love to have Rex as a DC nothing more.

It tells me that the Jets record is a statistical outlier and should self correct over the back half of the season.

It's not a major accomplishment to be better than Joe Philbin.

Back
Top Bottom