Who would you rather have as HC: Rex or Philbin? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who would you rather have as HC: Rex or Philbin?

It doesn't matter.
You don't have to be an awesome coordinator to be a great Head Coach. Can't you see that. It is a completely different job description. Philbin got the job because he made a great pitch about his vision for the Miami dolphins.

Look at Mike Tomlin and John Harbaugh. Those guys were no names before they became head coach.

I originally had misread what you wrote that you would want Rex as DC, and Philbin as OC. I would definitely agree on Rex, but disagreed on Philbin. My comment was really aimed towards Philbin, cause I wouldn't want him as an OC, or right now as a HC either. I agree with everything you just wrote though, you don't need to be a great coordinator to be a good HC. You do need to have a very high football IQ, which those coaches have.

The Jets have a -101 point differential which is the second worse only to Jacksonville. That doesn't happen to a great head coach. I'd love to have Rex as a DC nothing more.

being 5-6 w/ that does. keep in mind how awful the QB has been and how he has no choice since our best QB has been hurt all year.

The jobs Rex has done this year and last year have been amazing. The records were better years 1 and 2 and he won 4 playoff games but he has done a better job w/ what he has had to work with the last year and a half.

being 5-6 w/ that does. keep in mind how awful the QB has been and how he has no choice since our best QB has been hurt all year.

The jobs Rex has done this year and last year have been amazing. The records were better years 1 and 2 and he won 4 playoff games but he has done a better job w/ what he has had to work with the last year and a half.
Rex has done an admirable job in lieu of Mark Sanchez being the best QB on the roster I'll give you that.

anyone who chooses Philbin doesn't want to win. Look at what rex did w/ the talent last year and what he has done w/ the talent this year. The 2 aren't close, Rex is a top 10 coach in this league.

Who knew Top 10 coaches didn't make the playoffs?

the fact that he has been in the race w/ his teams the last 2 years has been miraculous.

This is a bit of a would you rather eat candy or s--t kind of question. No, Rex isn't candy - although he prob eats a ton of it - and I can't stand his personality, but as far as coaching goes, there's no question who I would rather have leading a football team. Philbin and company are arguably the worst, least creative and slowest to adapt coaching staff in the NFL. One can easily argue that between at least 3, and as many as 5, losses are on the coaches. Philbin makes no halftime adjustments at all, he's predictable, and worst of all in an era of football that is predicated on mismatches, he does absolutely nothing to try and exploit the opponents' weakness with his most talented pieces whenever he can (wallace lined up as right flanker 99.9% of the time, few QB rollouts and zero designed runs from one of the more athletic QBs, rarely passes to speedy RB out of the backfield instead daniel thomas is the 3rd round back, can't find a way to use difference-making #3 overall pick more than 30-40 snaps a game, etc..). I mean, Rex is a Billicheck-Bill Walsh super hybrid compared to Philbin.

I know it hurts but this is why I'd take Rex. He's had the most, and somewhat only, success against the best team in our division with inferior talent. He has to be doing something right. The team rally's around the guy and he'll have them ready Sunday. His game plan for Miami will be sound and don't be surprised if we fall right into it. In my opinion the Jets game plan should be run, run, run and punt until we beat ourselves. Ours should be aggressive passing to try to get a 10-14 point lead so the Jets need to Pass to get back into the game and tee off on Geno Smith to get the game more out of reach. If this is a last possession game Ryan wins because that's just what the Jets want.

This is a bit of a would you rather eat candy or s--t kind of question. No, Rex isn't candy - although he prob eats a ton of it - and I can't stand his personality, but as far as coaching goes, there's no question who I would rather have leading a football team. Philbin and company are arguably the worst, least creative and slowest to adapt coaching staff in the NFL. One can easily argue that between at least 3, and as many as 5, losses are on the coaches. Philbin makes no halftime adjustments at all, he's predictable, and worst of all in an era of football that is predicated on mismatches, he does absolutely nothing to try and exploit the opponents' weakness with his most talented pieces whenever he can (wallace lined up as right flanker 99.9% of the time, few QB rollouts and zero designed runs from one of the more athletic QBs, rarely passes to speedy RB out of the backfield instead daniel thomas is the 3rd round back, can't find a way to use difference-making #3 overall pick more than 30-40 snaps a game, etc..). I mean, Rex is a Billicheck-Bill Walsh super hybrid compared to Philbin.

Gotta love the internet where amateurs can posture like they are experts with little facts or examples to back it up.

I would take Philbin over Rex simply for the fact that Philbin has class. Neither will go down in history as a great head coach.

I think you have to give Ryan credit for what he has done this year. A 5-6 record with an extremely inconsistent rookie quarterback is an achievement. I thought the Jets would be in the hunt for a top 5 pick and here they are in a weird playoff chase.

That said, it's too early to make a decision on Philibin. In some ways I feel the Dolphins have overachieved considering the mess on the offensive line. I'd like to see what Philibin could do with more talent on that offensive side. The weakness on the offensive line is apparent when Miami needs to run the clock to finish games and just can't get it done. Is Philibin the long-term answer? I just don't know. I think he needs one more year.

Would you rather have herpes or gonorrhea ...?

Back
Top Bottom