Who's your favorite offseason addition

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Pandarilla, May 14, 2017.

?

Favorite off-season acquisition?

1. Lawerance Timmons

12.6%
  2. William Hayes

1.9%
  3. Tj McDonald

1.9%
  4. Julius Thomas

11.7%
  5. Charles Harris

12.6%
  6. Rakewon McMillan

41.7%
  7. Issac Asiata

14.6%
  8. Other

2.9%
  1. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

Lawrence Timmons was rumored to be playing with turf toe all last season. This accounts for all the casual fans to dismiss him as having lost a step. However, if he's healthy, man...One good year, Lawrence, just give me one good year and you'll be my favorite offseason acquisition.

2. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Not counting the extensions and re-signings it would be the Hayes trade and Asiata drafted

3. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

McMillan the second round pick. About time we address this unit with a high pick and if Timmons gets back to form this weakness could become a strength

4. Hoot

Hoot Keeper of the Old Code Finheaven VIP

Overall unit upgrade: Linebackers.

Individual player...possibly Julius Thomas.

Dajesus, FinaticalOne and HeavenCent like this.
  5. usok

usok Rookie

Asiata and RB Smith

6. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

McMillan

7. Delfin 22

Delfin 22 Master of the Force

Timmons

8. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Based mostly on his scouting report and what he has said, I love Asiata so far. He seems like exactly what the team needs on the offensive line, someone who is physical and wants to dominant. Love Grier's quote as well calling him a nasty prick.

I do have a feeling fans will like a lot of the new additions this year.

Pandarilla likes this.
  9. fishfanmiami

Couple more moves I really liked.

If Thomas can get back to form under Gase that would be huge

I know Asiata was a 5th round pick (although some really smart guys here had him rated much higher) but if he solidifies the interior our QB should have a good year and so should Ajayi and company.

redbeard75 likes this.
  10. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

If Pouncey can stay healthy the oline is a good deal better than last season. I would love to see Asiata step into the starting LG position for the year. Favorite off season addition has to be Charles Harris. I can't wait to see Sir Charles get it on with Mr. Brady.

EFWilson and Pandarilla like this.
  11. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Hammered Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Free Agency: Kenny Stills - a resign but a crucial one for offensive continuity and an important asset for our vertical game.

Draft: Raekwon McMillan - Finally a RFM.

Honorable mention: Isaac Asiata - Nice to add a guard with some power.

12. Digital

Digital Starter

I can finally say that this is a tough choice because we have several from which to choose! For me, the contenders are: DE William Hayes, SS/FS TJ McDonald, OL Isaac Asiata, LB Raekwon McMillan. Those are all great additions! Ultimately, I'm going to say Raekwon McMillan, here's why.

DE William Hayes: We got him for a song, real steal of an acquisition. He has as many sacks as Branch, comes in much cheaper salary-wise and cost almost nothing to acquire. He is a stud run defender, and we need it! So there are minor cons in that he has a Channing Crowder-esque personality, saying completely stupid things that make you wonder if he really means it or not .. but at the end of the day he's a good citizen, fine in the locker room, and not a liability on or off the field, so we can live with the personality quirks. The only major con is that he's older, so he's a great addition for a few years. After that, father time will catch up to him I suspect.

SS/FS TJ McDonald: We paid peanuts for a fantastic player. Sure, he is a major risk off the field, with major problems with the league's substance abuse process, and South Beach is not lacking for temptation. But this is a low-risk signing ... all we'll really lose is bad publicity. This guy is an excellent SS, who in our scheme might be able to do a very good job at combo safety even though he's not really a FS. He's not available until the 2nd half of the season, but let's be real ... we'll be happy if either Reshad Jones or Nate Allen is healthy, so I'm not worried about what happens if all 3 are healthy (obviously it means Nate Allen sits!), so we'll be extremely excited no matter what the system if we get the player we think we get when he eventually does take the field. But, lots of cons for this pick up.

OG Isaac Asiata: Absolute steal to get one of the top 3 or 4 guards in the 5th round who fits our system perfectly. He provides the power we lack, but has the quick feet our scouts prioritize. He should be an instant-starter and a mainstay for years. If he had longer arms, was taller and faster he wouldn't be playing guard, nor would he have been available in the 5th round. In fact, he's really a 3rd round prospect in my book, but because he's a couple years older than many prospects, scouts got scared off. I'm super-happy we got him, and think he is an absolute steal. We've had a few years of good guard play here and there with guys like Smiley or Incognito, but neither was the answer long term. By and large our guards have been the worst of a bad team for many years. I haven't been this excited about a guard since we had Keith Sims.

LB Raekwon McMillan: Honestly, this is probably the lowest priority position on this list for me. And one of the primary characteristics needed today form a Mike is pass coverage ... and that's not currently a strong suit for McMillan. But he's my favorite new addition, because this kid is a natural leader, instinctive LB, has good range, size and speed. He is a sure tackler and doesn't take bad steps. He diagnoses quickly, coordinates the defense, leads vocally and by example, shows durability, puts football first, studies hard, is a gym rat, and puts together great physical ability with great mental ability and attitude in a very very young package. He has a high ceiling and is one of those guys I'm nearly certain will come close to reaching his ceiling. This kid can be a stud Pro-Bowler for 10+ years as our QB for the defense ... and that is really a comforting thought. While he may not be a good coverage LB now, I do think that he's the type to grind at it until he becomes a solid coverage LB. This guy is the real deal. I'm a big fan of Bobby Wagner in Seattle, and I was singing his praises when he came into the league. But honestly, I'm higher on Raekwon McMillan than I ever was for Wagner ... yeah, I think Raekwon is that special.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  13. fishfanmiami

Nice write up digital :thumbsup

Hard to argue with any of your logic

phinfan33, PyroDOLFAN and Digital like this.
  14. Pandarilla

Asiata was the clutch pick that allowed our defensive draft to happen. If this guy is as nimble as they say, Gase will torture opponents with our left side of the line.

C'mon stem cells, save Pouncey's ***...

fishfanmiami likes this.
  15. Pandarilla

Damnnnn, well done, sir.

So many good additions. You didn't even mention Julius Thomas, Timmons or Charles Harris.

16. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

Julius Thomas is my favorite pickup this year.Think of what he brings to this offense if he is healthy and productive. The skys the limits with this O with a very good TE .Landry ,Stills,Parker,Tanny ,the J train ,Drake and Thomas.That is a special group.

17. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

Julius Thomas...we finally get the dangerous tight end....I believe he returns to Denver form reunited with Gase....also think he's a good fit for Tannehill.

Runnerup was Asiatta...we have missed the Incognito toughness since the stooges running this team created an environment that acted like political correctness belongs in a football lockerroom or a foxhole.

If the first two picks hit this was a very good offseason.

Pandarilla and NoblePhin like this.
  18. theOutback

theOutback Well-Known Member

Timmons, just because he will plug one of the biggest holes on a bad defense. He will also be a good mentor to a very good pick in the draft......McMillan! One pick would not have been good without the other.

Pandarilla likes this.
  19. nick1

Added a poll for you guys

fishfanmiami likes this.
  20. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

McMillan and Timmons are my two favorite additions, because Miami desperately needed LB's who can properly fill run lanes, and both players excel in this area. McMillan is the better add because of his age and ceiling. But, I think Miami was wise to add to starting LB's. The pair of McMillan and Cunningham reminds me of 2015 with McKinley and Kendricks, and both those players look like great picks, who are playing more like 1st RD LB's than 2nd RD LB's.

Suh hasn't played with a decent LB group since he left Detroit, and his disruption should be much more apparent in 2017. In penetrating schemes, it's the LB's job to make the DL right. If you don't have LB's who can do that, you see huge running lanes. Miami's D should take a significant step forward in 2017 because of LB play. I doubt Miami goes from a terrible run D to top-10 run D, but if they're just average, it's still a big step in the right direction.

fishfanmiami, nick1 and Avigatorx like this.
  21. FSU Truth

FSU Truth The North Remembers Finheaven VIP

How long has it been since one could say picking a favorite move for the off-season was difficult, not because they were all so bad, but because the were good.

The draft overall was excellent. I love the picks of Harris, McMillian, and Asiata. Harris gives us another Pass rusher to a unit that did struggle last season, Wakes age and the fact that we needed someone who could attack from the other side could be an issue for opposing offenses. Adding William Hayes to the mix and now you can allow Harris to play in sub packages as he improves his run defending his first year. McMillian finally gives us a potential leader at Mike, as sure of a tackler in the draft, this is an extremely mature 20-year-old who could potentially hold down the middle for the next decade. Asiata is a fantastic 5th round pick and one smart teams make...they get great value for this type of position late in the draft. Far too long we have screwed the pooch on any lineman that wasn't a round 1 pick, Asiata looks like a legit NFL guard with pro-bowl potential. It seems like we finally learned how to draft.

Other off-season moves...I really like the trades for Hayes and Thomas trades. Thomas gives us a legitimate seem threats who has experience with Gase's offense, while he underachieved in J-ville, hopefully with his prior relationship with Gase, we can get the most out of him. Hayes upgrades the run defense and with the additions of Timmons and McMillian, Jones returning to health, we should see significant improvement in this area. I love the keep your own strategy, after letting go guys that could have helped last year, it was nice to see this change.

Overall it was a different approach from the past, typically we make a couple of splash signings while also weakening the overall team. Now it seems like we have found success and made moves to specifically build on those particular successes and actually addressing weaknesses while not creating more holes. While not every hole was filled, I think the team has more talent then last year has made a concerted effort to address specific units while also not weakening other units.

Favorite off-season move - Tannehill's rehab

Stoobz, tthorpe13, Pandarilla and 3 others like this.
  22. hoops

hoops exited stage left

William hayes

Pandarilla and JakeemThe Dream like this.
  23. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater Not Quite A Shredder Finheaven VIP

I went with Thomas, even though the 2 LBs may be more crucial to our success. Im just excited to see what Tannehill can do with a top teir TE...and a very reliable #2 in Fasano. Cant wait to see the offense this season.

24. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

Raekwon

I like quite a few of our additions but I think this is the type of "headsy" leader our defense needs moving forward.

Overall impact, I am presuming Charles Harris is more important and I was a Harris guy all along but the Buckeye fan in me loves Raekwon McMillian.

25. JakeemThe Dream

JakeemThe Dream A True Fan

It's tough to pick one but I'd have to go with Timmons with Hayes and Thomas trailing extremely close.

I'm so stoked about the Hayes trade. The guy is a top run stopping end.

Thomas is the guy we've been waiting for since we tried it with Jordan Cameron.

I truly think he will do some great things for us. Fasano will be the not talked about pick up we thank the FO for grabbing lol

I'd say we have a pretty good overall offseason when you consider everything. Pretty excited about this one

Stoobz likes this.
  26. biggrouper

biggrouper Scout Team

I really like the off season as a whole.

Favorite Addition is Asiata. I don't think he will have the biggest immediate impact but as a 5th round Pick he has the potential (Hate that word) to change the whole outlook on our offensive line for a decade. Have not had this much optimism for out OL in a LONG time!

Most Immediate impact will come from Willy Hayes and I think we will be super surprised at how much immediate pressure Charles Harris is going to get.

Pandarilla likes this.
  27. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Hammered Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Unfortunately we're about to see how closely tied individual performance is with the scheme they play in (and not silly grades like PFF) and how when properly used it highlights their talent. IOW, Hayes wont be a top rated run defender in our "wide 9 defense" as he played well last year lining up over tackles in a fundamentally sound run scheme, not kicked out on a far angle outside the TE.

28. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

My favorite acquisition will be the next DT the FO brings in as insurance for Phillips and our new rookies. Realistically, I don't expect both of them to make the active 45 and we need 4 who can play. Hint, hint....SenDerrick Marks.....

29. jnozag

jnozag Well-Known Member

Overall, I like the combination of Timmons, Hayes, and Raekwon to address our issues on run d.

but i still think Julius Thomas will be the single best addition to the team in terms of production. i estimate 850 yards and 7 tds. but you mix that in with landry having 1000 and about 5-6 tds, stills with 850 and 8 tds, and parker with about 700 and 5-6 tds, and J-Train with the ground game, that is a really potent offense if healthy.

30. hoops

hoops exited stage left

neither of those 2 rookie dts are ready but I'm betting we are going to camp before we make a move. and if/when we do make a move it's gonna be a dirt cheap one.

Pandarilla likes this.
  31. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

I'm guessing that a FA addition will be the #3 with Godchaux as #4. Phillips will start as the #2 but no one knows whether or not he will keep those snaps all season. I agree that they will not bring anyone in until they get a look at the rookies in pads although they could bring someone in with a clause and no guaranteed $ if they are not on the roster in week 1.

There are lots of guys out there but not all are scheme fits....

Jared Odrick, Dan Williams, SenDerrick Marks, Arthur Jones, Roy Miller, Tyson Jackson, Glen Dorsey, Tony McDaniel, Ego Ferguson, Corbin Byant.

Austin Tatious likes this.
  32. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

Great to see you back, Hoops!

33. WaxOn WaxOff

WaxOn WaxOff Starter Finheaven VIP

I say Tankersly. In 2 years you will too.

Pandarilla likes this.
  34. GEORGIA FIN

GEORGIA FIN FIN FOR LIFE

I have to say Matt Burke as DC. Promoting from within and the fact that he and Gase seem to be on the same page gives me hope to properly use what talent we have better. To me, losing Joseph was addition by subtraction.

Stoobz likes this.
  35. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Odrick or Williams for me

36. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Timmons had turf toe in 2015. I didn't read anywhere he still had it last season. If so, troublesome sign, it can linger.

Pandarilla likes this.
  37. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan

I want to chamge my answer to this. of anyone player I think Thomas has the biggest boom/bust factor.

My favorite signing is keeping Kenny Stills.

Hoot and Pandarilla like this.
  38. Pandarilla

Yeah, that sounds more accurate. I guess they meant to say it was still hampering him.

39. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

In terms of best addition, TJ McDonald is probably the best piece of business we did. Rookie level salary for a young guy proven to be a high level starter. Sure he's suspended, but even for half a season and a shot at resigning him its good value. If we cut bait with this guy we'll probably get a comp pick. The downside is more or less non existent and we need a second good safety..

JakeemThe Dream and rickd13 like this.
  40. nick1

Do you get comp after a guy was only on your team for 1 year?