why all the hate for ireland?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by thefranchisedef, Nov 7, 2011.

1. thefranchisedef

thefranchisedef A True Fan

I like how everyone hates ireland when the only thing he has done in his one year as full time gm is have a solid draft. He wasnt given an opportunity to add the players he wanted in free agency so he picked up the best playmaker possible, within the money he was allotted, in Reggie Bush. So why all the hate?

> players drafted by Ireland:
    • Mike Pouncey- Great draft pick
    • Daniel Thomas- Great draft pick
    • Clyde Gates- solid pick that filled a glaring need
    • Charles Clay- Great draft pick
    • Jimmy Wilson- Great draft pick
    > players picked up in free agency:
    • Reggie Bush- Great pickup
    • Columbo- Bad pickup
    • Kevin Burnett- started season rough but has picked up play in recent weeks
    • Matt Moore- I hate the guy but he has filled in as a below average quarterback
    So, with all this I dont understand the hate. The guy picked up two YOUNG playmakers in Reggie Bush and Kevin Burnett that every fan was screaming for. He solidified the offensive lines most important positions by drafting Mike Pouncey to pair with Jake Long. What did he do wrong? He wasnt given the money to go out and get the likes of ahmad bradshaw or trade for Kyle Orton. In my opinion, Jeff Ireland has done his job. He has put alot of talent on this team but people hate him because he didnt draft RYAN MALLETT. Enough is Enough! Ryan Mallett is a third string quarterback. He had ALOT of red flags. Oh, and Andy Dalton supposedly didnt have the arm strength for the pros (smh).. Just relax and let things play out! From what i seen the past 3 weeks this dolphins team is only missing two to three pieces on offense from being pretty damn nice. Just wait till 2012 when the nfl receives the most talented quarterback class since 1983.

2. Jersey DolFan

Jersey DolFan Banned Hammered

this is true. not to mention ross had over-ruled and messed with his decisions as well. ireland is not so bad.

3. sharp

sharp Scout Team

Ireland sucks.

4. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

ONE game and now we're crowning Ireland again? LOL a great draft pick was AJ Green, or Andy Dalton, or Patrick Peterson, or Torrey Smith, or DeMarco Murray those were great draft picks. No one in this draft class for Miami has made any impact plays. For Irelands' sake I would hope a center drafted in the top 15 would be a great pick. Did you just put Kevin Burnett and "playmaker" in the same sentence? I don't think any fans were screaming for Kevin Brunette.

5. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

The reason people hate Jeff Ireland is everything else. Our secondary blows and he has not done a good job of addressing it, he has spent way too many picks on the defensive line, we have consistently struck out in free agency (the fact that Reggie Bush and Matt Moore are his best FA signings says it all), etc.

Also, let's not kid ourselves. Daniel Thomas seems like a good guy and I think he's going to be a solid RB, but that was not a good use of our second round pick. I like Pouncey, he's a good player and I'm glad he's on the Dolphins, but we needed an impact player with that pick and the simple truth is that a center is not really an impact player. Clyde Gates is just a waste of time, money, and space on the roster.

I'll give him Clay, though. That guy was a steal in the sixth round.

6. Strangeworld

Strangeworld Banned Hammered

When you constantly draft linemen with your first round picks and ignore the most important position in all of sports you deserve to be fired.

7. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

lol Does Clyde Gates even have a catch yet...FAR from a solid pick that "solidified" a need.

8. daniel3

daniel3 Starter

He would be a good GM if you already have a strong base and contending team. Problem is we need home run hitters and he is drafting "safe" picks.
    Gates does fit a need if we had a normal offensive plan. I'm not sure what we're doing with half the talent we have on this team. It's just now today that they discovered we have a tight-end and h-back in the offense.

9. J. David Wannyheimer

And hey, I like Reggie Bush. He has a chip on his shoulder and he's playing tough football right now, but

DARREN SPROLES, hello?

10. thefranchisedef

Clyde Gates is still young at receiver, he has the tools. Mike Pouncey will be a top center in this league for years to come. Everyone was screaming for Mark Ingram but hated that we drafted Daniel Thomas? smh.
    Lets forget that Reggie Bush is the utility playmaker that we were missing.

Look, I'm not saying that I was happy with our team, and I'm not saying that this team is close to good. I dont care if we won 2 straight games by 28 points ;). Fact is that Miami has had one of the hardest schedules in the league. They have been in EVERY game theyve played. They are a quarterback away from being serious.

Oh, and our secondary was top 10 last year when healthy, Something we haven't been all season. Did you forget about Vontae Davis? He's been battling hamstring problems since week one.

11. Dthrill_08

Dthrill_08 A True Fan

LMAO!!! omg seriously? You do know that this is Jeff Ireland first real draft? So how is he "CONSTANTLY" drafting linemen in the first round???

Man sometimes post here make me laugh! We were all saying "omg what a deep threat Gates will be" or better this one "He should be our #2 receiver". Its funny how things are forgotten.

12. J. David Wannyheimer

Yo, I hate to break it to you but we did not have a good secondary last year. We were 7-9 and we got lit up by teams with good QBs.

Look at some of the QBs we picked on last season:

Trent Edwards (out of the league?)
    Brett Favre (was horrible last year)
    Carson Palmer
    Kerry Collins
    Bruce Gradkowski (career backup)
    Mark Sanchez

The ONLY good QB we beat was Aaron Rodgers. The only one.

Brady lit us up for 41 and 38 points. Our secondary was a mirage. We lucked out and caught the Packers early in the year when they were ice cold and then beat up on absolute scrubs like Favre and Trent effing Edwards. When we faced good QBs, they scored on us.

13. thefranchisedef

No one was throwing at Vontae. the guy is our best playmaker on defense. He hits as hard as a strong safety and has ball skills out of this world.. NEWS FLASH- he hasnt been healthy since the first half of week 1.. smh

14. McMichael

McMichael Seasoned Veteran

Really the only games we should've lost are the pats, jets, and chargers... also I guess the giants outplayed us. None of the other teams we played really outplayed us, more like we beat OURSELVES.

Look at the cleveland game, 1 play away from winning.

The broncos game, A TEAM HAS NOT A LOST A GAME LIKE THAT SINCE 1982!!!!!. Everythign had to work out perfectly for the broncos. Recovering that onside kick was just PURE LUCK, and Marlon Moore (who had the ball in his hands and just dropped it) probably lost his spot on this team for that.

The giants game and texans game, both were very close and competitive.

NOT TO MENTION WE LOST OUR STARTING QB A FEW GAMES IN... WHO HAD BEEN LOOKING LIKE A DIFFERENT PERSON. Tell me how many teams can lose their starting QB and be fine...

I think its a FACT, not an opinion, that if Henne was starting and we had JUST 3-4 PLAYS go our way instead of the other teams, we would be 4-4 at the worst, and everyones attitude on this board would be a lot different...

This team is 3-4 plays from being 4-4... they are NOT THE COLTS, who are getting blown out 62-9 and whatever, this team is a LOT BETTER than most people on this board think they are, we should really be 3-5 at the absolute worst, if not for some insanely lucky onside kicks / missed field goals vs hou / cleveland / dumb plays like that.

15. McMichael

McMichael Seasoned Veteran

agreed, not many teams can afford to lose their #1 quarterback, as well as their #1 cornerback.

Yet we are still 3 or 4 plays from being a 4-4 team.

16. sharp

sharp Scout Team

If my username was X-pocalypse I'd get 45 thanks from random idiots for that one line

17. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

Lets get a few things clear:

This is Irelands second draft and in both has drafted linemen in the first round.

Mallet is a 3d string QB. You do realize who he sits behind?

Vontae Davis is not a playmaker. How many Int's does he have in his career? Wasnt he benched today for failing to prepare?

Our secondary was garbage last year.

As to the notion that they have been in every game, they should have blown out Denver and Cleveland.

Ireland Is unqualified to be a GM. He belongs in a scouting department not running an NFL franchise.

18. newlife2788

newlife2788 Fan Since 1992

Hes ok, nothing great.

19. Dthrill_08

Dthrill_08 A True Fan

His 2nd nfl draft he drafted a Oline in both? Last year was Jared Odrick right (DT)? VD is not the biggest playmaker there is but he is a solid DB. He hits hard and covers well. Just because he does not get alot of INT does not say so.

Nnamdi Asomugha has only had 5 INT since 07. He has 13 for his career because of 1 season having 8. Would you say he is not a playmaker? No right? Stats dont say all the story.

20. sharp

sharp Scout Team

Well that one season of having 8 would equal atleast 4x the amount our entire defense has halfway through the season... I would have taken 4 and sh1t the bed. Most players have been disappointing this season, even if a hamstring injury, vontae has been one. Daniel as an RB that goes hard as **** still fights it and plays as often as he can.

21. MadDog 88

Where did I say Oline? Go back and re-read it.

Additionally I am not a stats guy. Teams dont throw at Asomugha the way they do Davis. It is no coincidence that his ints dropped. To try and mention Davis in the same breath as Nnamdi is ridiculous.

You tell me that stats are not everything then base your argument with them?

Again. Where was our "playmaker" today?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2011
  22. Dthrill_08

Dthrill_08 A True Fan

So its all about stats??? Hmmm..... Lets get Ashante Samuels. He is the biggest playmaker and dominant CB! After all he has so many INT's. Yea I doubt Samuel is even better than Vontae.

23. Dthrill_08

Dthrill_08 A True Fan

Ok I read your post and I guess you meant Oline. But you made the same mistake. When did I put Nnamdi and Davis in the same category! Yes I know they dont throw at him at all, who would he is a 6'2 beast! My point is even tho he does not get the INT he rarely miss tackles and get burned.

24. Dthrill_08

Dthrill_08 A True Fan

<br><br>Ok I read your post and I guess you meant Oline. But you made the same mistake. When did I put Nnamdi and Davis in the same category! Yes I know they dont throw at him at all, who would he is a 6'2 beast!&nbsp; My point is even tho he does not get the INT he rarely miss tackles and burned.&nbsp;

25. MadDog 88

So how can you possibly refer to him as a playmaker and no I didn't mean OL. The defense has linemen as well. Had I meant OL I would have said OL.

You compared Davis having no ints with Nnamdi.

Again, for the third time where was Davis yesterday?

26. greasyObnoxious

greasyObnoxious I love lamp Finheaven VIP Donator

that's not a FACT, that's SPECULATION

27. FinsBR

FinsBR Dolfan from São Paulo - Brazil

My eyes are burning after reading this thread...

He must go because he failed to address the most important position in the game!

Ireland and Sparano are the personification of Parcells ghost. We`ve got to exorcise Davie! Clean the house of all this 3yd at a time ground and pound BS. It worked in the 80´s and 90´s but we are in a pass happy league for crying out loud!

28. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Good, giving up draft picks for Orton would have been a godawful move.

29. Mogwai

Mogwai Seasoned Veteran

One win has sent this forum spiraling into madness. It is Ireland's job to make sure we're a complete team that can win in this league. We're still 1 and ****ing 7. Unless he was stealing paychecks, he did have a hand in the first 3 years. As for this year, everyone loves every draft we have until the 1 to 2 years have passed to realize most of them were busts. The only consistent player we've had from this draft is the C we picked 15th. Andy Dalton. DeMarco Murray. Those are GREAT picks. DT is not having a good rookie year. You cannot always be injured. When he has played, he's been pretty bad the past 3 games. Gates has been terrible. Clay showed up for the first time yesterday by exploiting a seam in the KC secondary. Pouncey is good but he hasn't redefined the C position. He's still one of the highest picked interior lineman in history. If we'd taken any chances in the last draft and were holding on to any legitimate game changers from it then I might be able to at least consider the possibility of keeping Ireland. But we didn't and we're a terrible team. Signing the "young, playmaker" Kevin Burnett hardly changes that.

30. Rugby

Rugby Banned Hammered

Dude the team is 1-7 and in worse shape depth wise than when they got here 4 years ago. Burnett has been a bust, and Dansby has been close to one. He TRADED for Reggie Bush, and had to give up a draft pick to get him, meanwhile New Orleans who we got Bush from signed Sproles to fill the same role as Bush AS A FREE AGENT (it didn't cost New Orleans anything to sign him) and on top of that got him for almost $ 600,000 a year LESS than we are paying Bush !!!!!

He also signed Marc Colombo - that alone should get someone fired.

Also this years draft has been so-so and you can't judge it completely until the end of the season. Just because a player had a good game yesterday, doesn't mean they are a great pick. Thomas has missed half of this years games - that is a great pick ????

31. Rugby

Rugby Banned Hammered

we can do much, much better than Ireland.

32. Rugby

Rugby Banned Hammered

Reggie Bush was not a free agent signing, we had to trade for him, and give up a draft pick for him. We could have signed Darren Sproles (who replaced Bush in New Orleans) kept a draft pick and saved $ 600,000 a year to spend on another player or signing one of our soon to be free agents.

33. Rugby

Rugby Banned Hammered

Giving up a draft pick for Bush, when you could have had Sproles for nothing and paid him $ 600,000 a year less is a God awful move. Not addressing QB or TE since he has been here is another glaring mistake. Passing on Dez Bryant to trade down for Odrick who so far has been less than a # 1 pick was beyond stupid.

and again, ANYONE WHO SIGNS MARC COLOMBO SHOULD BE FIRED !!!!!

34. Mogwai

Mogwai Seasoned Veteran

I was able to watch a lot of Dalton yesterday. He is really, really good. I didn't see him being this good, but I'm not an NFL GM, Ireland is. Passing on Dalton for a C was a gigantic mistake. DT over DeMarco was also a blunder. Ireland's a bum.

35. endorPHINS72

endorPHINS72 Restore the greatness!

Triple facepalm Monday!

36. Baller

Baller Active Member Donator

Why do people hate Ireland? The easy answer is "He Sucks" which is true. Why does he suck? For every good move he has made, he has made two bad moves. How do you let Ricky Williams, Ronnie Brown, Ted Ginn, John Beck, and others go for nothing? Granted none of these players he is burning up the league, but a good GM could have gotten some draft picks or role players for them. He has never had a draft that graded out better than a C. This guy is weak when compared to Bobby Beathard, Scott Pioli, or others who are or have been elite. I have read a ton of posts about "another 5 to 10 years of mediocrity". If you want to avoid another lost decade, the first thing that has to happen is a restructuring of this front office. Ireland has to go, Sparono has to go, and Ross has to build a new infrastructure like we had when this was a "proud franchise". One player is not going to make the difference. Luck, Barkley, or Griffin, will all fail if this front office mess is not cleaned up. Why do you think there is so much talk about this guy or that guy not wanting to come to the Dolphins? SFL or Dump the Front Office (DTFO)? To me the answer is clear! Love the win, but keeping this FO will only secure "5 to 10 years" of mediocrity.

37. Fish-Head

Fish-Head U made the pudding but forgot the proof.

In what world does a GM get CREDIT for assembling a 1-7 team FOUR YEARS after taking up the office??? That ALONE should be indictment enough of how awful this guy is.

Regardless of upgrades or no... ALL of the signings you are applauding were lateral moves to correct mistakes or fill holes IRELAND HIMSELF CREATED.

And you, like so many... are sadly missing the point about Mallett... It is not the player but THE POSITION... There is absolutely no excuse for coming out of that draft without a QB with what we had going in... NONE. The fact we traded UP for Thomas... Demonstrated that Ireland had NO INTENTION of signing a QB... ANY QB... And he drove the price of Orton up ON HIMSELF!!!!!!

let me explain it this way... The team that drafted Mallett has arguably the LEAST need for a QB in the league... And yet they saw fit to throw a third rounder at the position... And that HOF QB they have by the way was picked in the 6th when Bledsoe was still playing at a very high level... Seems to me one franchise understands the importance of always looking for a QB more than the other... Hmm interesting.

This is just the beginning of the indignities Ireland has wrought on this franchise.

38. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Apalled and aghast Donator

​Great example of a thoughtful, intelligent post. We need more like this.

39. J. David Wannyheimer

Oh man, I forgot that we traded for him. I was trying to blot that out of my mind.

40. greasyObnoxious

greasyObnoxious I love lamp Finheaven VIP Donator

you're right. i mean, Ireland took a bad team with no QB and no depth to speak of and transformed it into....... a bad team with no QB and no depth to speak of. amazing