Why are we always flat emotionally? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why are we always flat emotionally?

THE OG CANEPHINS

formally known as CANEPHINS
Reaction score
Very rarely does this team come out of the gates hot in a game. It always seems over the past couple of seasons, with the exception of a couple of games, that this team just doesn't wake up until the 4th quarter. Now we are seeing this "flatness" coming out of practices with the team saying they practiced like crap all week or they had a terrible week of practice.

You would think the first half vs SD would have been the wake up call, but this team didn't mentally exist yesterday vs the Jets (from coaching all the way down). They play calling was crap, the mental game was crap, the discipline was crap, the execution was crap. Basically...we were crap.

Now we go into the London game with this dark cloud hanging over from this loss. You would think Ajayi will be fired up considering he is coming home, and missed last years game. You would think that, but based off of yesterday you can't think anything positive until you see it actually happen on the field.

But why are we always so flat? We hear Gase isn't soft, but how can we let the team practice like crap and then crap the bed vs the Jets? This was a total team loss, and it was only the 2nd game, but this game was a huge warning flag showing our weaknesses vs the worst team in the league.

I think it's generally accepted that since the practice restrictions took place, the first four games of the season have become preseason.

Don't trip, dog. We're in the same boat as the Raiders.

I think it's generally accepted that since the practice restrictions took place, the first four games of the season have become preseason.

Don't trip, dog. We're in the same boat as the Raiders.
And ravens!

Hard to say. In the past I'd same it's team culture. Now we think we have a coach in Gase who is the anti-Philbin. So is it the players? Do they not have an asshole leader like a Joey Porter or Terrell Suggs to rile them up?

Ooo God the ravens were flat

The QB's don't inspire their team.

I would think think to an extent, but I think the team thought of Tannehill as a leader and are looking to Culter the same way....I think.

What was mind boggling to me yesterday is that we can't run the ball, yet (it seems like on almost every drive) we were trying to run it on first and second down. So the Jets were stacking the box, expecting run, and so when we tried to pass there wasn't any time to do so (thanks to the great OL play). Instead we should have come back out on the 2nd possession and tried to push the ball downfield. It is ok to be pass first in order to open up the running game instead of the other way around.

But when you are flat, to start with, and then are stuffed on 1st and second downs....well, there is just nothing there when you are looking at 3rd and long.

Then there are the mental brain farts that we always seem to have, whether it is from the QB or from calling plays. Why on 3rd and long do we, almost always, throw short of the sticks? Then why, almost always, does our WR either run backwards, down the line, or just falls down? That was frustrating as hell yesterday. Oh....and then we have Landry wide open in the endzone and Cutler just brain farted it away. Hard to instill confidence as a leader doing stuff like that.

That's always a reflection of poor leadership among the players in my opinion.

The best thing Gase can do if the team keeps practicing like crap is take his assistants and simply walk off the practice field, as Bill Parcells was known to do under those circumstances.

That
certainly forces someone (or multiple people) to step up among the players and lead the team.

Miami players are flat, with, very unlike last year because of...

1. Hurricane Irma

2. Losing a starting QB that they were hugely counting on.

3. Counting on a rookie, and a Vet, to finally fix the LB position, only to be disappointed on both...again.

4. Not 1, not two, but three straight huge travel games before an actual real home game.

5. O-line again showing inconsistency.

6. Nervous of when we will see Jay Cutler play like, well...Jay Cutler (I guess the answer was game two, without the INTs).

I am damn sick and tired of seeing a team filled with soft wussies who can't play a physical brand of football on both sides of the ball. The Jets were a lot more physical yesterday. We looked like a team of girls who were afraid to hit anyone.

Man, the entire NFL yesterday was topsy, turvy. Chicago beat Pittsburgh, the Bills beat Denver, Cincinnati nearly upset the Packers in Green Bay. All the winless teams really stepped up.

It was an awful game for Miami and I agree the team usually starts slow. I don't know the why behind that, but since the defense is built more for having a lead that is troubling.

I think this is a crucial week to see what type of team the Dolphins really have. Hopefully, they can put the stinker game behind them, play with heart and passion and start winning some games.

I would blame the hurricane and the travel schedule if this team didn't have a history of doing this for years including last year under Gase. We won 10 games, but most of those were because of clutch plays in the 4th Q after they struggled in the first half.

That lack of fire is coaching and 14 leadership. We need players to step up to motivate this team with the coaching staff doesn't get it done. If that doesn't happen we can compare us to the Bottom Feeders year in year out excuses excuses

I would think think to an extent, but I think the team thought of Tannehill as a leader and are looking to Culter the same way....I think.

What was mind boggling to me yesterday is that we can't run the ball, yet (it seems like on almost every drive) we were trying to run it on first and second down. So the Jets were stacking the box, expecting run, and so when we tried to pass there wasn't any time to do so (thanks to the great OL play). Instead we should have come back out on the 2nd possession and tried to push the ball downfield. It is ok to be pass first in order to open up the running game instead of the other way around.

But when you are flat, to start with, and then are stuffed on 1st and second downs....well, there is just nothing there when you are looking at 3rd and long.

Then there are the mental brain farts that we always seem to have, whether it is from the QB or from calling plays. Why on 3rd and long do we, almost always, throw short of the sticks? Then why, almost always, does our WR either run backwards, down the line, or just falls down? That was frustrating as hell yesterday. Oh....and then we have Landry wide open in the endzone and Cutler just brain farted it away. Hard to instill confidence as a leader doing stuff like that.

I think Tannehill had really improved from his first few years and was executing at a very high level last year which there are still a lot of people not giving credit for. At the same time while he has been "the leader" I still think him inspiring confidence in his teammates is something that he doesn't have like the better ones. I've always felt like from a sheer mojo perspective Moore always had a bit more fire. I think if anything Tannehill being there at least helps the other leaders on this team emerge, like Landry, simply by not getting those guys disengaged. There's also something to be said that Tannehill got to the point where he had some dreadful halves but was rarely shut down for an entire game. The team knew he was gonna step it up at some point even if he didn't play four quarters of good football all the time.

Back
Top Bottom