Why Burke might be getting a mulligan... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Burke might be getting a mulligan...

Yeah I didnt say I agreed either way. Although the fact that NFL defenses play better when the team is leading is a real thing...

Who would you say had the most dominant defense this year?
I like pressure so i like what the Jags do. Also impressed with NE play as they step it up in big times.

I think the D was just bad most of the time.

When the D did look good, I honestly chalk that up more than anything to opposing teams stupidly trying to test our corners rather than just abusing our linebackers. We beat the Patriots because of that. Most people think that the Patriots have the best coaching staff in the NFL (they're probably right), and that they're geniuses who never screw up (absolutely not right). They kept throwing the ball at Xavien Howard rather than Kiko Alonso, and that's why we beat them.

If Burke comes back in 2018, and we actually have better personnel for him to work with, he needs to show results.
Also remember Gronk was out. I think kiko would still be chasing him if he played that game.

I think the D was just bad most of the time.

When the D did look good, I honestly chalk that up more than anything to opposing teams stupidly trying to test our corners rather than just abusing our linebackers. We beat the Patriots because of that. Most people think that the Patriots have the best coaching staff in the NFL (they're probably right), and that they're geniuses who never screw up (absolutely not right). They kept throwing the ball at Xavien Howard rather than Kiko Alonso, and that's why we beat them.

If Burke comes back in 2018, and we actually have better personnel for him to work with, he needs to show results.
I agree that overall, the Fins D is bad, but I also believe that the offense made them look even worst... BUT I also think they're not that far off, like 2 good LBs would bring them back to at least top 15... McMillan might be 1.

Does Gase really believe the “we are built to play w the lead BS”, or is that just coach speak to give the unit some air cover?
Well, every defense plays better with the lead so it's not entirely BS, but saying this specific D is built to play with the lead... Well this is how they all work...

NFL defenses play better with a lead, it's not BS, it's a fact...
Those great Ravens defense didn't have a very good offense. They didn't hide behind the offense didn't give them the lead. Sure every defense can play better with a lead but a lot of the time the reason our defense didn't play with a lead was because they couldn't hold a lead and sometimes they allowed the other team to score first. I have no problem with you or anyone else thinking we have a good defense that can't play better because of the offense but most people here know what time it is. The defense was just bad and if they need the lead in order to play good then they're just not very good in the first place.

Ozzy rules!!

I hate to go back to a familiar theme, but I think the Patriots example is illustrative in this case. In the beginning of the season, the Patriots were vulnerable because the defense was giving up points inexplicably. Big plays were happening all over the field. Patricia tightened it up eventually and the philosophy changed. The Patriots don't have explosive pass rush talent or athletes to create turnovers, so they became a bend don't break defense. Once a team got in the red zone, Patricia went to 3 rushers and created impenetrable zones on the back end with 6 sometimes 7 DBs. Sure, you could challenge that defense by running the ball, but the Pats know that most coaches abandon the run as they get near the end zone, and because the defense was often in zone looks, the DBs could usually sniff out the run and beat blockers to the ball. The Pats are fine giving up field goals, because they're betting on Brady and the offense scoring enough points to eventually beat your 4-5 field goals.

The Dolphins defense has no philosophy. We run an attacking front, but then we play a soft zone on the back end behind it. We take our big-bodied DBs who excel in press and then play them 8 yards off the receiver. We watch our linebackers get burned in man coverage time and time again, yet we continue to play them in obvious passing situations. How often do we play dime coverage? It's almost zero percent.

It's not just the philosophy, it's not just the scheme, it's not just the players, it's all three.

Those great Ravens defense didn't have a very good offense. They didn't hide behind the offense didn't give them the lead. Sure every defense can play better with a lead but a lot of the time the reason our defense didn't play with a lead was because they couldn't hold a lead and sometimes they allowed the other team to score first. I have no problem with you or anyone else thinking we have a good defense that can't play better because of the offense but most people here know what time it is. The defense was just bad and if they need the lead in order to play good then they're just not very good in the first place.

Ozzy rules!!
I'm not even disagreeing you Danny, I'm trying to figure out why all the changes that are being made are on the offensive side of the ball. What are they seeing that we arent... Looking at the stats I noticed that A) The defense played much better when the team had the lead, and B) that didnt happen very often this season... My honest opinion is that A) while the D was bad overall, the offense made it look even worse B) We are 2 good LBs from being decent...

Trust me, I'm curious as well as to why the whole defensive staff is still in place after the defense not being very good for the two years they have been in place. This is the part that bothers me about Gase. I believe he's still seeing himself as an OC instead of as a HC that is in charge of the whole team. He needs to start making up excuses for HIS defense and start holding everyone accountable ob BOTH sides of the ball

Ozzy rules!!

Also remember Gronk was out. I think kiko would still be chasing him if he played that game.

image.gif

He's getting a Mulligan cause Jenkins' body gave up, he walked in FA, Hewitt got injured and cut too and he was left with no weakside LB. One of the most important positions in a cover two. Then he lost his MLB playing him waaaay out of position at Will. Then he lost his rookie Sam and his replacement was the guy you intended to play at Mike and went AWOL. The mess at LB and to a lesser degree at S doomed him. Everyone gets injuries but I think Gase and TBaum are taking ownership for mishandling the defensive personnel.

The bottom line for me is this. Look what happened in the second NE game. Defense was electric. We played man, and threw off Brady's timing. But that type of defense can be used for all teams.
If Burke can dial up a defense for that game, then why not every game?
When we had Surtain and Madison, they played man, and they were awesome.
Since the board has been hot on coaching continuity lately, I'll agree that Burke needs another couple of years to fine tune himself and the scheme.

What do you think the difference between the first and the second game was? No Gronk. And it's not to downplay the win but it was the reason why we could play press. Did you guys catch Wake getting holding penalties on TEs on the last few games? We gave up on even trying to cover them. That allowed us to play man.

This ownership has continually given mulligans to all involved as the fans suffer

Yeah I didnt say I agreed either way. Although the fact that NFL defenses play better when the team is leading is a real thing...

Who would you say had the most dominant defense this year?
Minnesota

Ozzy rules!!

Those Raven defenses had Ray Rice running the ball on offense from '09 to 12!!

Back
Top Bottom