Why can't PSU win despite bad officiating? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why can't PSU win despite bad officiating?

flintsilver7

Sack Monster
Reaction score
USC pulled it out in a game they probably shouldn't have? Why can't Penn State? Why must every loss to Michigan leave me saying "why did this, this, and this happen?"

The review officials were on top of the game. Well, at least they're supposed to be.

In the 4th quarter, Robinson throws a low pass to Butler (I think it was Butler). It was originally ruled a catch. Quickly, the replay officials are on it. From the two angles, it looked like the ball might have touched the ground. It was the type of call that should never have been reversed, regardless of what the call on the field was. Nonetheless, the official trots out and informs us that he has indisputable video evidence. Seeing as they showed us the angles, calling it indisputable video evidence is a crock. This didn't matter much, because PSU drove down and got the go-ahead score anyway.

On the kickoff, the review officials miss at least two block in the back calls. You would think a longer return in a pile like that would be suspect, but no. No calls, no questions. The replay shows at least two, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were more. These aren't casual, either - it's not like the blocker slipped around. It's a push in the back, on the numbers.

Later in the drive, Henne throws a pass initially called complete to the sideline. I don't remember who it was to, nor when in the drive it occurred. However, the replay clearly showed his foot was half out. Even Griese and Nessler said so. Well, no review. The review officials handed the ball to Michigan with their blessing. There were no timeouts left for Penn State to work with.

With 28 seconds left, Michigan is kept in bounds and is forced to call a timeout. Replays show the clock stopped when the whistle blew. Lloyd Carr complains (which I can't fault him for), but inexplicably the officials put 2 seconds back on the clock. Why? The call was right the first time around. Well, that two seconds turned out to be pretty handy.

Earlier in the game, Hart also fumbled and wasn't called on it. They ruled him down. I'm not sure you can change that since the whistle was blown, but again the replay showed both his knees were in the air when the ball came out. So much for the referees being afraid to blow the whistle.

That, and the numerous bad spots for Penn State and good spots for Michigan.

If anybody's got the game recorded, what it again and see what you think.

First off Bulter didn't catch the ball. You could tell from the replay that the ball did hit the ground, you just couldn't actually see the ball coming in contact with the ground. I was hoping that wouldn't be enough to overturn the call, but I guess it was. There were a few bad spots in the game, but that always happens in football and usually won't favor one team or another, same thing with the block in the back on the kick return. All the other things you mentioned were questionable. The nonfumble by Hart, the foot on the sideline on that pass, the magical 2 extra seconds on the clock. If Penn State got any of those three plays called their way, they would have won the game. While it was a frustrating game, it was an instant classic that will be to soon forgotten for the simple fact that it was played at the same time as the USC-ND game.

As a side note, doesn't this always happen to PSU. They are like the anti-Patriots, they always get unlucky with a bad call or penatly that kills them.

It was a good game. Its unfortunate some questionable calls allowed Michigan to get that chance to win with 1 second left on the clock.

Regardless of the officiating, which I agree with you on, PSU had the chance to win and Zemaitis blew his coverage. Michigan shouldnt have had 1 second left on the clock but they took advantage of what the refs gave them.

If the game was in Happy Valley, it would have went the other way. Regardless, Penn State still controls its own destiny. They have Wisconsin at home, which is huge, then a bye week before going to Michigan State, which is also huge as PSU isnt that great of a road team.

Thank god they have Illinios next week to get used to playing without Derrick Williams. Thats a huge loss.

PSU is still Bowl Bound, just not to the Bowl I originally wanted them to go to. This is a tough game to swallow but PSU has still shown up a TON of people by being this good this far. They still control their own destiny and can win the big10 WITHOUT any help, which is still a plus and in our favor. The might not get the BCS Bowl we were all hoping for, but even just winning the Big10 is a HUGE step for this team considering how bad everyone thought they would be. Lee Corso can $uck my balls at the end of this year. :lol:

PSUFinFan said:
FYI, if they win out they would be BCS bowl bound... just not the Rose Bowl.

Umm: :confused:

Philter25 said:
PSU is still Bowl Bound, just not to the Bowl I originally wanted them to go to...........

.......... The might not get the BCS Bowl we were all hoping for, but even just winning the Big10 is a HUGE step for this team considering how bad everyone thought they would be.

Im well aware. :yes:

Ohh sorry, I misread what you said. I though you were saying that they missed their chance to get to any of the four BCS games.

flintsilver7 said:
USC pulled it out in a game they probably shouldn't have? Why can't Penn State? Why must every loss to Michigan leave me saying "why did this, this, and this happen?"

The review officials were on top of the game. Well, at least they're supposed to be.

In the 4th quarter, Robinson throws a low pass to Butler (I think it was Butler). It was originally ruled a catch. Quickly, the replay officials are on it. From the two angles, it looked like the ball might have touched the ground. It was the type of call that should never have been reversed, regardless of what the call on the field was. Nonetheless, the official trots out and informs us that he has indisputable video evidence. Seeing as they showed us the angles, calling it indisputable video evidence is a crock. This didn't matter much, because PSU drove down and got the go-ahead score anyway.

On the kickoff, the review officials miss at least two block in the back calls. You would think a longer return in a pile like that would be suspect, but no. No calls, no questions. The replay shows at least two, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were more. These aren't casual, either - it's not like the blocker slipped around. It's a push in the back, on the numbers.

Later in the drive, Henne throws a pass initially called complete to the sideline. I don't remember who it was to, nor when in the drive it occurred. However, the replay clearly showed his foot was half out. Even Griese and Nessler said so. Well, no review. The review officials handed the ball to Michigan with their blessing. There were no timeouts left for Penn State to work with.

With 28 seconds left, Michigan is kept in bounds and is forced to call a timeout. Replays show the clock stopped when the whistle blew. Lloyd Carr complains (which I can't fault him for), but inexplicably the officials put 2 seconds back on the clock. Why? The call was right the first time around. Well, that two seconds turned out to be pretty handy.

Earlier in the game, Hart also fumbled and wasn't called on it. They ruled him down. I'm not sure you can change that since the whistle was blown, but again the replay showed both his knees were in the air when the ball came out. So much for the referees being afraid to blow the whistle.

That, and the numerous bad spots for Penn State and good spots for Michigan.

If anybody's got the game recorded, what it again and see what you think.
Yeah and if you watch the fumble return for a TD Henne's knee was cleary down before the ball was ripped lose. He was down with almost both knees fighting the defender for the ball which should be down by contact even if the defender has a hand on the ball. I am sure I could come up with at least five bad calls against michigan too. So take your lose like a man and realize that your team is just way way overrated considering the only team you beat that is any good is Ohio State. Sure you beat Minnesota who beat Michigan but Michigan gave them that game with mulitple missed field goals. And Minnesota really isnt that good and neither is Michigan

You guys are going to lose a couple more games this year so get ready for it. I am sorry you got quick glimpse of the past but your team is not a top ten team period. You are going to lose to Michigan State and Wisconsin I hate to say it but I have a feeling it will happen.

Brad528 said:
You guys are going to lose a couple more games this year so get ready for it. I am sorry you got quick glimpse of the past but your team is not a top ten team period. You are going to lose to Michigan State and Wisconsin I hate to say it but I have a feeling it will happen.

Just like Michigan was going to win the Big10 this year and we were going to suck for years to come right?

Penn State IS NOT overrated. :lol: We were not even ranked until the 4th week. Give me a break. We can lose the next 4 games and we will STILL have outperformed expectations for this year.

The loss to DW hurts the team greatly. I can see them losing at Michigan State and the Wisconsin game should be a very good one. That would put Penn State as 3rd in the Big10. Pretty good considering what everyone else picked them.

Your an obvious Michigan homer. Fess up and give an overachieving team its due. I have no problem when lower expected teams outperform experts predictions and I give them all the props in the world. This year its been Penn State in the Big10.

Philter25 said:
Just like Michigan was going to win the Big10 this year and we were going to suck for years to come right?

Penn State IS NOT overrated. :lol: We were not even ranked until the 4th week. Give me a break. We can lose the next 4 games and we will STILL have outperformed expectations for this year.

The loss to DW hurts the team greatly. I can see them losing at Michigan State and the Wisconsin game should be a very good one. That would put Penn State as 3rd in the Big10. Pretty good considering what everyone else picked them.

Your an obvious Michigan homer. Fess up and give an overachieving team its due. I have no problem when lower expected teams outperform experts predictions and I give them all the props in the world. This year its been Penn State in the Big10.
First off Michigan can still win the Big Ten so dont go counting them out yet. Sure they need some help but it is not that far fetched. When Penn State loses to Wisconsin. Wisconsin loses to Ohio State. Minnesota loses to Ohio State or Michigan State or Iowa. Michigan then just has to beat Northwestern and Ohio State. Not saying it will happen but I wouldnt be so ****y in saying JUST LIKE MICHIGAN WAS GOING TO WIN THE BIG TEN cause they still could.

I guess we will find out in 2 weeks. You never know with College. Its PRETTY far fetched that Michigan wins the big10, but im sure in college freakier things can happen. The top 4 teams in the big10 can beat each other on any given day and given the right home field advantage. Michigan just doesnt have the ball in their court and they need to win out and have every game fall into their favor.

Back
Top Bottom