Why defend Gus | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why defend Gus

islandah said:
Thank you. A voice of reason. Nobody is saying that Gus is good, but the reality is that for this year, he's probably the best option we have. Just because we haven't given Sage or Lemon the chance to fail doesn't mean they are any better. You have to trust the coaches ability to judge talent, leadership, etc.

Also, remember that a big part of the reason Gus was brought here was because he knows Lineham's system. Installing a new system for the entire offense to learn is much easier when the qb knows it, even if he doesn't have the talent to really use it to it's full potential. Then next year,our new qb can learn it with Gus as a mentor and the rest of the O already familiar with it.

We simply don't have a good qb on the roster. Wishing won't make it so. Saban is going to use what he's got this year with the long term success of the team in mind. Panicking and going to Sage/Lemon is something Wanny would do.

You made my point for me. If we are going to have a new QB next year, and we are obviously going no where fast this year with the QB we have, WHY CONTINUE TO START HIM???????

gus frerotte is the worse QB (starting atleast) i have seen since Jay Fiedler, and that speaks volumns. stupid play calling + stupid QB decision making = losss! :fire:

on a good note: Ronnie Brown is quite a running back. You fear for the defender everytime he lowers his head to gain those extra couple of yards. The man is absoultely fearless and one of the few bright spots on a team of has been duds. Im sorry but i have to say it: we are terrible.

ccphinfan said:
It just sux...I mean, what a let down. I know thier was probably a better play to call at the end of the game, but to force a bad pass like that, i can't take it anymore.:fire:

Frerotte was aked why he didn't audible out of it, and he said he wasn't allowed to. It's like asking Fiedler time and again to throw the deep out. Gus is obviously a limited talent, and the play call with the game on the line and your RB's being successful should have put the ball in someone else's hands. Once you tell Gus , No, this is what you have to do, he really had little choice but to try.

Dolfan4life! said:
You made my point for me. If we are going to have a new QB next year, and we are obviously going no where fast this year with the QB we have, WHY CONTINUE TO START HIM???????

Hate to use the cliche, but the coaches obviously feel he "gives us the best chance to win." Plus, as I stated, if you accept that we aren't contenders this year, he's being used to teach the rest of the O the system for next year.

Its irrelevant whether we should or shouldn't have gotten Gus or whether we supported him or not. Bottom line is he is a poor QB and is not getting the job done. He is an aged quarterback with skills that are obviously diminished. The arguement that he is a good field manager and doesn't make mistakes is no longer valid with his late game ending interception. Saban and Linehans continued support of Gus is distracting for many in that it brings back memories of another time when a former coach supported his choice of quarterback irregardless of the situation, circumstance or outcome. Of course this is just IMO.

islandah said:
Hate to use the cliche, but the coaches obviously feel he "gives us the best chance to win." Plus, as I stated, if you accept that we aren't contenders this year, he's being used to teach the rest of the O the system for next year.
I don't buy it, teaching is done during training camp and practice. If we are using live games to teach our players the system we don't belong in this league (by the way Gus doesn't belong in this league).

Dolfan4life! said:
At this point I would like to see what Sage can do in Linehan's offense. We aren't going to the playoffs with Gus behind center, I don't think you'll find many that will argue that point. We know what Gus brings to the table. We don't completely know what Sage brings, why not find out? I don't look at is as throwing in the towel, I look at it as trying to improve the play from the QB position.

phinz8202 said:
the only thing i can say is that we all know what Gus is. We are seeing it first hand and the rest of the NFL has seen it for 9 years i think. at best he is a backup QB. We dont know what we have in the others. They may be worse...but they may also be better. But we wont know until we get them in there and see how they handle it.

Who says the coaches don't know? That's my point coaches are paid (in part) for their ability to assess from practice who gives the team the best chance to win. It's not just a crap shoot. If you don't think the coaches can do that then you should be calling for new coaches.

islandah said:
It's not our job to know what we have in the others, it's the coaches', and apparently they feel they do know. Putting them in to prove it to the fans is not something Nick will feel compelled to do, nor should he.

the only problem with that point is that it assumes coaches are infallible and stubbornless. heck, we just got rid of a coach who was known to stick with his own guys even when change was warranted. Granted he has seen Sage in practice a whole hell of alot more than any of us.....but he has yet to see what he can do when put into the role of starter and given the reins for a stretch. none of us has. whats the harm in seeing?

Dolfan4life! said:
I don't buy it, teaching is done during training camp and practice. If we are using live games to teach our players the system we don't belong in this league (by the way Gus doesn't belong in this league).

Teaching the system happens in camp, becoming familiar and comfortable in it takes constant repetition. It can take years for a team to get to the point where it's second nature. If Nick believed the outcome would be any different, I'm sure he'd start Sage or Lemon, but if (as it seems) he feels they would do no better, might as well use the time to get the team reps.

Everybody is knee-jerk reacting to Gus' bad play, concluding that these other qbs must be better. Just because one QB is not doing well, that doesn't magically improve the abilities of your backups. That reasoning is how we went from Fiedler to AJ. The failure of AJ is how we ended up with Gus. All throughout these sub par qb performances, multiple coaching regimes have passed on even considering starting Sage. That should tell you something. We are working with far less info than the coaches. If doing well in a mop up role predicted success, every backup in the league should be a pro-bowler.

phinz8202 said:
the only problem with that point is that it assumes coaches are infallible and stubbornless. heck, we just got rid of a coach who was known to stick with his own guys even when change was warranted. Granted he has seen Sage in practice a whole hell of alot more than any of us.....but he has yet to see what he can do when put into the role of starter and given the reins for a stretch. none of us has. whats the harm in seeing?

He has yet to see what I could do, yet my phone remains silent.

islandah said:
He has yet to see what I could do, yet my phone remains silent.

are you out there practicing day in and day out?!?!? Guess thats why your phone is silent.

phinz8202 said:
are you out there practicing day in and day out?!?!? Guess thats why your phone is silent.

No, but Sage is and has been for years, and his phone is pretty quiet, too. Guess they've seen things we aren't privvy too, huh?

islandah said:
Teaching the system happens in camp, becoming familiar and comfortable in it takes constant repetition. It can take years for a team to get to the point where it's second nature. If Nick believed the outcome would be any different, I'm sure he'd start Sage or Lemon, but if (as it seems) he feels they would do no better, might as well use the time to get the team reps.

Everybody is knee-jerk reacting to Gus' bad play, concluding that these other qbs must be better. Just because one QB is not doing well, that doesn't magically improve the abilities of your backups. That reasoning is how we went from Fiedler to AJ. The failure of AJ is how we ended up with Gus. All throughout these sub par qb performances, multiple coaching regimes have passed on even considering starting Sage. That should tell you something. We are working with far less info than the coaches. If doing well in a mop up role predicted success, every backup in the league should be a pro-bowler.
So Sage is not the answer, this coaching staff knows it, the previous staff knew it, you seem to know it too. Why is he still on our roster? Why didn't we make a move for Rattay a few weeks ago? He could have been had for a 7th rounder. If Sage is no better than Frerotten, he belongs in the Arena league. If he is as bad as you assume he is, I don't believe he would have been re-signed in the off season. I've got to believe Nick would have signed another servicable veteran while they were available.

les dauphins said:
Why are people defending Gus, bad play calling dropped balls I don't care he's not bad he's terrible let's just start sage or lemon (it's like a recipe) I know their probably worse than Gus but at least we''ll know there worse

Why does everybody keep saying that Sage is probably worse than Gus Frerotte? What in the hell makes you think that? Because he hasn't gotten a real opportunity yet? The reason he hasn't gotten a real shot is because Gus is Linehan's boy from Minnesota. Although Sage heavily out performed both Frerotte and Feeley in preseason, he never got to play with the first team, and he never got a chance to earn the right to start for this team.

islandah said:
No, but Sage is and has been for years, and his phone is pretty quiet, too. Guess they've seen things we aren't privvy too, huh?

and if that is true and you are Saban why not kill the QB debate by throwing Sage out there for a couple of games and let him bomb? at this point what is there to lose??? We arent contenders right???

Back
Top Bottom