Why did Ricky quit? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why did Ricky quit?

StLouisFinFan

StLouisFinFan
Reaction score
Countless "experts" employed by the press monster go on an on about how RW quit so that he may pave the way for limitless pot smoking and a life without responsibility. Generally portraying him as a adolescent, drug addicted quitter. Sounds logical. Supports the facts. Makes for good press. But it this an insightful, or even accurate portrayal?

I say no. My gut feeling all along (and this is where it gets interesting) has been that RW saw Dave Wannstedt's writing on the wall. I think he saw DW for what he really was. A nice, hard-working, blue -collar guy's kind of guy who was, unfortunately and naturally, the definition of mediocrity. He demanded no more, no less. He lived it. Huge loss? "It's ok...we really tried". Mistake after mistake? "It's not their fault...they're rookies". Lack of execution? "Hey, these are veteran players who don't need me to motivate them". Another 10-6 season with no playoffs? "10-6 is a great record...something to be proud of".

So, faced with yet another season of mediocrity that was only getting worse and worse (the OC merry-go-round that stopped with a "green" TE coach; more Jay Fiedler; no changes on OL; etc.), he saw what was going to happen. He was going to get ridden into the ground without mercy. All pain and no gain in sight.

I don't like what he did. But I can't say I wouldn't have seriously considered it. Can you?

Back
Top Bottom