Why does the Running Game Suck? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why does the Running Game Suck?

ANUFan

Club Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the answer to this question is likely to be both. But, lets try and just pick one of the choices here

Our running game has suffered and has practically been non-exsistent because:

1) We simply lack the personnel(Running Backs, Offensive lineman) to make it work
2) We simply lack the conviction (By implementing multiple formations, Attempts per game etc) to make it work

I'm personally of the opinion our lack of a running game is a product of #2 moreso than option #1. While, I'm not saying we have the best pieces in place to be a top running team, I do however think we have more than enough to be a decent running team. IMO the #1 problem is How/Formation-wise we chose to run.

I'm sure no-one here would argue that most of our run attempts comes out of that GOD_AWFUL shotgun formation with the back lined-up to either side of the QB. The X's and O's members can weigh-in on this observation. But, with my eyes it seems like this is one of THE WORST ways to try and run the ball when you have:

1) A less than Ideal O-Line
2) A less than Ideal RB

That type of run-formation seems to indicate your Olinemen need to be able to block particularly well or there is going to be serious penetration in the field with no one there to pick it up(Fullback). Secondly, from what I can tell it requires a RB that must have good vision and a feel for line-blocking and must able to break tackles and make people miss at times.

A final observation we seem to limit our running lanes if you wish when we run out of that formation. For example 99% of the time if L.Miller lines up on the right of Tannehill he's either going up the middle or to the left and vice-versa if he on the right. Basically, telling the defense which way we're very likely to run and cutting a portion of the field off like a bootleg play I suppose.

This brings me to my final point. Why don't we run out of more formations? I've noticed when we have ran out of I-Formation we easily averaged 4,5,6 yards on the first attempt( See the Bengals Game). I can only imagine if we actually tried to be consistent in the running game what it would do for Play-Action later on.

Lets be honest we Suck at the running the ball more because of us than what the opponent has done to our running game.

Frustrating...

The running game doesn't suck, and no one here can or will support any other perspective than that with relevant, objective information.

The running game doesn't suck, and no one here can or will support any other perspective than that with relevant, objective information.
It does when the other team expects us to run. 3rd and short situations come to mind, the safety where Thomas was hit in the middle of the end zone by an untouched defender... a lot of it is stupid playcalling though. Why in hell is Sherman always trying to run to the perimeter on 3rd and short situations...? A stretch play when you're at your own 2 yard line...really? WTF?

It's a combination of poor personnel and a fundamental lack of commitment to running the ball. This regime has made a conscious effort to build a team that resembles a Ferrari instead of a 1 ton diesel Ford duelly pickup. Problem is, the Ferrari has been in the garage more than the open road.

Complete lack of commitment to it...
..and that is on Philbin. Sherman has actually said that he wants to run the football more. Has Philbin? if so, i have never heard of it. Philbin is the problem;Sherman is the scapegoat of this offense.

It does when the other team expects us to run. 3rd and short situations come to mind, the safety where Thomas was hit in the middle of the end zone by an untouched defender... a lot of it is stupid playcalling though. Why in hell is Sherman always trying to run to the perimeter on 3rd and short situations...? A stretch play when you're at your own 2 yard line...really? WTF?

This is the point I'm trying to stress though I understand the poor word choice Shouright is pointing out. Ultimately my point is we as a team don't show conviction towards the run. Ironically, the only game this year were emphasized the run, in this case the Bengals game, is when did fairly well. Not only was our attempts up but our formation selection featured a lot more variety too.

Complete lack of commitment to it...
..and that is on Philbin. Sherman has actually said that he wants to run the football more. Has Philbin? if so, i have never heard of it. Philbin is the problem;Sherman is the scapegoat of this offense.

It's a combination of poor personnel and a fundamental lack of commitment to running the ball. This regime has made a conscious effort to build a team that resembles a Ferrari instead of a 1 ton diesel Ford duelly pickup. Problem is, the Ferrari has been in the garage more than the open road.

Which is the most perplexing thing I've ever seen! You know

1) You have O-Line problems
2) A very inexperience Qb

and yet you want to throw the ball like you're the Patriots, Broncos, Saints and the likes?

This is the point I'm trying to stress though I understand the poor word choice Shouright is pointing out. Ultimately my point is we as a team don't show conviction towards the run. Ironically, the only game this year were emphasized the run, in this case the Bengals game, is when did fairly well. Not only was our attempts up but our formation selection featured a lot more variety too.
I don't think it goes any further than the choices the offensive coordinator is making.

And actually there has been more than just the Bengals game in which the team emphasized the run, and in terms of success, they've actually averaged 4.8 yards per carry or better in 6 of the 11 games this year. In 5 of those 6 games they averaged better than 5 yards per carry, and in 2 of the 6 they averaged better than 6 yards per carry.

I don't think it goes any further than the choices the offensive coordinator is making.

And actually there has been more than just the Bengals game in which the team emphasized the run, and in terms of success, they've actually averaged 4.8 yards per carry or better in 6 of the 11 games this year. In 5 of those 6 games they averaged better than 5 yards per carry, and in 2 of the 6 they averaged better than 6 yards per carry.

So why are we almost dead last in Rushing Attempts per Game and Ironically, the teams near the top of the list for the most part have the better record?
http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/rushing-attempts-per-game

So why are we almost dead last in Rushing Attempts per Game and Ironically, the teams near the top of the list for the most part have the better record?
http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/rushing-attempts-per-game

It's truly simple and you basically answered it yourself.

Who calls the plays? There's your answer.

Shouright only said they "emphasized" the run game, in this instance the term is relative. Say I'm a coach and my team only attempts 10 rushes the entire game... Now that may seem minuscule but what if my team usually averages only 5 rushes a game? Then that 10 rush attempt game seems like I emphasized the run, doesn't it?

We're not particularly outstanding at anything on offense. That's the way defenses see us. We don't have a perfectly timed short-passing game which is hard to defend, we're not good at screens, we don't have any superstar TE's, we don't have a bulldozing, tackle-breaking running back, we don't strike fear with the deep ball. What we are, are an average offense, with an inexperienced QB. The easiest way to stop us would be just to shut down the run game. So teams are doing that.

I don't know if not carrying a FB on the roster is hurting us, or what. But it's definitely worse than last year. The changes from last year I suppose are Jake Long being gone, Reggie Bush, Anthony Fasano, Javorskie Lane. That has to factor in someplace, because there are too many other constants.

This is the second year, and before you know it it will be over. We can't go into a third year with this lack of a running game, especially short yardage and red zone. It's the coaches job to make a plan, implement it, and get it done.

Why does the running game suck? Because Philbin brought in an offense that minimizes the importance of a good running game. If the staff considers the running game an afterthought, then they won't spend many resources in trying to improve it. Philbin didn't bother to improve the o-line either, because he expects the ball to be out of Tannehill's hand so quick that even a below average o-line should be able to hold their blocks long enough for the pass to be thrown. This makes sense "in theory", but we all see how his offense is actually performing on the field. Defenses know that Philbin's offense is based on short timing routes and when he does run, it isn't pretty. All a defense has to do is bring most of the guys up near the line of scrimmage and they'll be in position to both stop any run and tackle the receiver after a short pass. And, if the offense runs a blocking scheme that the line can't execute very well, then the defense will end up in the backfield on a lot of plays.

Want to improve the running game AND the passing game? Get rid of Philbin and his West Coast style of offense!

Back
Top Bottom