Why is DE such a priority...

DPhinz_DPhinz

I cash reality checks....
☠️ Banned ☠️
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
for this draft and this year?

Aren't we happy with Wake and Branch (both extended/resigned), Hayes, Fede, Warmsley? That's a 5 man rotation, we are going to add a player in the 1st round who is going to be a part of a rotation?

Fede is such complete garbage that I cringe every time he's on the field. Warmsley may not make the team.

Branch is primarily a rotational player. Hayes is an early down player with little pass rushing. Wake is at the tail end of his career.

Having pass rushing talent is severely needed for the future, thus, defensive end would be a great pick at 22. Plus, it would give a solid 4-man rotation.

How long are we going to put off drafting another DE? Fede and Warmsley have not shown enough. What if Wake gets injured. Its a need an the draft has some good ones. You could say the same thing about LB how much is one going to play based on who we signed and amount of snaps their on the filed.

This is not to say the back end of the defense is not a need basically almost every defense position is a need.

Aren't we happy with Wake and Branch (both extended/resigned), Hayes, Fede, Warmsley? That's a 5 man rotation, we are going to add a player in the 1st round who is going to be a part of a rotation?
Can't count on Fede or Warmsley. Hayes, Wake or Branch get hurt then we down to two.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The Dion Jordan whiff set the defensive end rotation back quite a few years. Arguably, the failure to extend Vernon on the cheap when they had the chance was another setback. This is one position that you can't throw enough bodies at.

because to beat Brady, you have to beat Brady

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

The Dion Jordan whiff set the defensive end rotation back quite a few years. Arguably, the failure to extend Vernon on the cheap when they had the chance was another setback. This is one position that you can't throw enough bodies at.

yeah this was a huge setback, I agree. the one time we did draft someone decent we let them walk. even franchising one year would have given us a chance to get a longterm deal

it's definitely a huge need, but i wouldn't be reaching for any position at #22.

if a DE is your top player on the board when we pick, take him. if not, don't.

This question has been asked and answered a million freaking times. Wake is 35. Hayes leaves after this season and Branch is nothing but average....4 or 5 sacks a year is what you can expect from him and the other two guys are ST players. We need a dynamic pass rushing DE big time

Ozzy rules!!

I'd bet that Willis gets hot enough to potentially go top 20, but no lower than the very end of the first/top of the second. If he's there when Miami picks, then he's neither a steal, nor a reach. Just a good, solid pick.

Our best pass rusher is in the twilight of his career and before this offseason we had ZERO defensive ends capable of defending the rush.

We have plenty of DEs, but only one of them can rush the passer and he's 35.... We don't need DEs, we badly need pass rushers.

It's just that you don't want to get stuck without talent at such an important position. Plus, the draft has an uncharacteristically high number of edge rushers so why not go shopping down that aisle so to speak?

It's a little bit like when Dan Marino got older and the Dolphins kept passing up quarterbacks and thinking only short-term. Then all of a sudden they had nothing at the position for a long-time. Cam Wake can't play forever. Branch is just okay and Harris is a one year stop-gap. You've got to think two, three years down the road.

I'd bet that Willis gets hot enough to potentially go top 20, but no lower than the very end of the first/top of the second. If he's there when Miami picks, then he's neither a steal, nor a reach. Just a good, solid pick.

I agree. Have to think Willis is a target for Miami. Have to wonder, though, what the team would do if Foster falls.

I see Willis sitting there at #22. Lamp will be gone 15-20 area imo. Reddick is the #1 LBer on some boards so he'll be gone. The more I think about it the more logical it seems that Willis will be a Dolphin with pick #22, it's a great pick. The guy was a super star at Kansas State, defensive player of the year in I believe the Big 8 and if you saw the Senior Bowl Willis and Reddick dominated all day, big #75 was plenty tough!! He'll be a great player for us!! Go get a Guard in round 2.

Back
Top Bottom