Why is everyone all over Tavon Austin

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Zildjianz, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Zildjianz

Zildjianz Well-Known Member

Granted he is a machine, and all kinds of flexibility, but I would much rather have Keenan Allen, or Cordarrelle Patterson, especially if we think we have a year or devolop Patterson, I think he has more upside than any of the receivers in this draft. As they have both the size, and speed. I like bigger receivers.

2. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

U live under a rock? Because he is the most explosive player in the draft, a flat out stud, and would be a fan favorite..... Or maybe because he runs a 4.2, and ran for 344 yards when he started at running back against Oklahoma....

3. Asicswrg85

Asicswrg85 A True Fan

I personally do not think we should take him with our #`12 pick, but that is just my opinion.

4. Andyman

Andyman Canadian Fin Fan

Bigger isn't always better. Patterson has huge red flags on him. Austin is very explosive. His size makes him a risk but the reward potential may be hard to pass on.

5. PolitePolite

PolitePolite Well-Known Member

6. Fintastic17

Fintastic17 A True Fan

No need to go any further than your first couple of words.

7. catch22

catch22 New Mexico Fin Fan

Because:
    If this team's passing attack consisted of Tannehill throwing to

Wallace on one side (world class speed/deep threat/TD threat)
    Hartline/Gibson on the other (hands and 1st downs)
    Tavon Austin in the slot (again world class speed, shiftyness and deep threat/Td Threat)
    Keller at TE; (great speed and TD threat)

We would probably have one of the deadliest passing attacks in the league.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2013
  8. Zildjianz

I'm not taking that away from him, and no I don't live under a rock. I would love to have him, but at 5'8" he just doesn't have both the size and speed I would prefer.
    However Patterson has both, and probably the most upside of any receiver in a few years to come out of the draft.

Quote:
    He may be considered raw with his ability to handle physical coverage, but Patterson is one of the more naturally talented pass catchers to come along in the last few years. He only has one year of tape against FBS level of competition, but from the first game Patterson showed his versatility by making plays from a variety of alignments. If the Vol can start using his hands to release off the line and tighten up some technique issues, he should be one of this class' top playmakers. He should be a first-round selection and could be the first receiver off the board. Used occasionally at running back, has the speed and wiggle to beat defenders to the edge while utilizing hesitations moves. Very nimble on his feet, especially for size. Makes plays out of nothing when carrying the ball. Numerous natural qualities to his game. The Vols started to use Patterson more and more from the running back position, and he tallied 208 rushing yards and three touchdowns on 25 carries. The junior returned four punts for 101 yards and a touchdown. However, Patterson did most of his damage as a kick returner, compiling 671 yards and another touchdown on 24 attempts. He set an SEC single-season record with a combined kickoff and punt return average of 27.6 yards, and a school record of 1,858 all-purpose yards. Patterson, became the first NCAA player in four years to score a touchdown four different ways.

9. FinsFanLuke

FinsFanLuke Injured Reserve

In the first round you should draft playmakers, this guy is a baller and in the "surround Tannehill with weapons" mode of this offseason, he'd be perfect. Sadly it'd probably mean Bess is gone but Austin is a Percy Harvin, Randall Cobb type in that he can do everything and probably do it better than those two guys. Mike Wallace stretches the field, Hartline already has chemistry with Tannehill and would be the #2 then Austin all over the field? That's scary and would be killer.

10. Twitches Brew

Twitches Brew A True Fan

I would be a little wary of how he's only gotten this popular over the last two weeks, when no football has been played. I'd rather take a pass-rusher at 12, and I don't have a strong opinion on Austin, personally.

11. FinsFanLuke

FinsFanLuke Injured Reserve

You said what I wanted to in a much better way. Mucho gracias!

12. Chance29

Chance29 Rookie

I don't know why we'd get rid of Bess. Imagine four wide and putting Austin in the backfield with all that space to work!

13. Zildjianz

Hartline is nothing more than a weaker version of OJ McDuffie he is just a possession receiver, and I'm sorry but we way over paid for him. I'm just saying I would rather have Patterson than Austin. Hell I would jump joy if we picked any of the three I mentioned. With just Hartline, and Wallace we will not see the explosive OFF we need as Wallace will be pretty much negated with double + coverage on every play, and Hartline inability to get into the end zone. We need someone else that posses a threat.

14. jimthefin

jimthefin Well-Known Member

I just have a hard time seeing a 5-8 170 lb SLOT WR being very durable in the NFL.

I too would rather have Patterson or Allen, but I would not draft a WR at 12 at all.

I would be going OL/DL or Eifert unless Jarvis Jones slips to 12.

15. FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard FearTheBurke

i love Tavon, and to me he's in the mix...but we have a pretty small wide receiving core, we need a taller piece who can catch fades and go up for jump balls.

16. 72 silky

72 silky Well-Known Member

plus Dustin Keller and Lamar miller that = scary

17. Mr. Day

Mr. Day Starter

Size is not always important. Think about Desean Jackson.

18. moksha

moksha Active Member

Tough to pass that guy up..

19. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

It makes zero sense to be considering that we just paid big money to sign two of the best WRs in free agency. I semi stunned anyone really considers us wasting a draft pick on another WR when we have a 2nd year QB and a new WR corp featuring one of the fastest WRs in the NFL. Considering Hartline's year last season we could have one of the better number two WRs also. Plus we have Bess, Gibson and Keller.

But even with adding Grimes, we still have holes at DB, in a division and league where you need to have 4 good ones and two of those need to be very good.

There are only so many footballs that you can use at one time. there are only so many passes you can attempt. You offer me young veteran Hartline or Austin right now as a "college" WR and it is not even close who the better NFL player is. Who are you planning on taking passes away from...uhh MIKE WALLACE? Are you ****ing crazy? Wallace might not be a "crazy" diva like Marshall but we just paid him a LOT OF MONEY to catch a lot of footballs.

So your idea to to draft..another Mike Wallace? You want to draft with our 1st pick another WR to play Wallace's position? Really?

We could get a QB at 12. :rolleyes2:

P. S. Look, join a Madden franchise or play...ugh..in a Madden fantasy league and when you have a chance to draft rookie Austin over Mike Wallace you do that.

20. Zildjianz

Just because your girlfriend tells you that does not mean it's true. Size does matter if you can have a guy that is 6 inches taller, and pretty much just as fast with equal ability you take the bigger guy every day of the week, and twice on Sundays

21. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

This is the key! Slimm and all the other GURUS that truly understand FB would tell you this is a league of Match-ups. Right now, the only real match-up problems for teams defending us on offense is Mike Wallace because of his speed. This means that an extra defender must be cognizant of where he is at ALL times. EVERYONE else does not require this "special attention!"

Of the following who can consistently w/o question beat 1 on 1 coverage for huge gains or TDs?

1) Hartline
    2) Bess
    3) Gibson
    4) Keller

MAYBE #1,#4,#3 once more MAYBE!!! Thus the natrual question becomes how do you turn those "MAYBES" in "absolutely yes?"

TAVON AUSTIN!!
    CORDELLE PATTERSON

They like Mike Wallace also requires that "special attention" which means in addition to the primary their must also be a secondary defender. Ultimately this means EVERYONE else becomes that much more dangerous.

I HOPE HOPE HOPE this is how the F.O. is looking at the offense. TAVON AUSTIN/PATTERSON flat our makes this offense TERRIFYING to defend.
    We are much closer to having a Potent Offense on paper atleast than one on defense...

22. Zildjianz

" I just have a hard time seeing a 5-8 170 lb SLOT WR being very durable in the NFL.", "i love Tavon, and to me he's in the mix...but we have a pretty small wide receiving core, we need a taller piece who can catch fades and go up for jump balls. "

Thank you, this is what I am trying to convey.

23. daniel3

daniel3 Starter

Yeah everyone was so high on Swope due to his connection with Tannehill and him being just flat out what we need, but now its Austin every thread :(.

24. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

Hartline is nothing more then a "possession" WR. Kind of like Gibson, you know the kind of WR who makes first downs, who you can count on to get open and to catch the football.

Brandon Marshall is a possession WR but a lot of people like him. He rarely scored for us, Fasano tied him for TDs while they both were here.

So just maybe, it is more coaching when just the players. A WR has little control over how many times he is thrown the ball in the redzone.

Have you looked at Hartline's stats since he has been here? Have you watched games with him playing?

25. insom187

insom187 Fin fan in hostile territory

No thanks on a slot receiver at #12 no matter how athletic he is.

26. ANUFan

Let's not forget the value he brings to Special Teams! If D.Bess was able to produce Just 1-2 TDs on special teams last season would that have possible made a difference in some of our close games? Likely!

27. twistedjay

twistedjay Active Member

I would be happy with Austin. I wouldn't touch Patterson though. The guy only had well under a thousand yards last year, playing with a qb with an nfl caliber arm, on a team that had an awful
    defense. Despite being in a shootout every week he still had mediocre stats. And was all but invisible against elite defenses. Justin Hunter will be a better pro than Patterson.

28. Da Phinishisher

Da Phinishisher 'Shisher

Signing Wallace is awesome. Adding
    Tavon Austin into the mix is special. That makes Wallace an even more dangerous threat.

I want an offense that threatens the D with multiple players. Austin can line up in the back field and is a home run threat just like Wallace.

I'm hoping he's the pick at twelve.

29. randomname

randomname A True Fan

So if you had a chance to draft another Mike Wallace... you wouldn't because we already have one?

30. ANUFan

Your mistaken he makes "EVERYONE" on offense more dangerous!

31. catch22

catch22 New Mexico Fin Fan

The Ideal situation would be adding Austin + a taller bigger(6'5+) TE that could be a height mismatch and TD threat to groom behind Keller.

32. rcasellas64

rcasellas64 Well-Known Member

Guys, Tavon is the guy I want at #12. If you hear the way the finsiders talk about him you realize he is the only playmaker worthy of our selection. We can address other positions later in the draft. He would make defenses have nightmares...That's my two cents.

33. Da Phinishisher

Da Phinishisher 'Shisher

So true! I'm hoping he's the pick. That's cooking with peanut oil!

34. BB5813

BB5813 Member

I think Austin does fit a need in that he possesses an explosiveness that none of the other receivers have. Wallace is more than just a speed guy, but for the most part the deep threat is what he is. Hartline can get down the field pretty well and make the difficult catch, but isn't that zero to full speed guy like Austin is. Bess and Gibson are more possession guys than play makers. Although I admit I haven't seen much of Gibson.

The fact that we have multiple picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds gives us more flexibility to take a chance in the first. Unless someone unexpected falls, I wouldn't be apposed to Austin.

35. joenhre

joenhre Starter Donator

I guess some people are content with only having one explosive receiver on offense. Which is why we see so many people say why draft Austin or another potential big play receiver when we already have Gibson, Hartline, Bess, Matthews and Binns. We should be happy with a decent receiving corps and not take any chances on making it a great one. We should all be content with just being a possible playoff team but not bother to become a team that can challenge the Patsies for the division. We don't care if our team has a chance to sniff a Superbowl.

Sorry but I'm not content with my favorite team only being just above average. I want them to be great. The only way to become great is by taking chances and adding potential explosive players/play makers to your team.

The Dolphins need to add another big play potential receiver. They need to add another solid tight end. They need to find a couple more ball hawking corners. They need to find another monster pass rusher to line up opposite Wake. Would also be nice to find another safety to play opposite Jones. Also need to add another big physical running back. Of course we know they still need to add another Offensive Tackle and athletic Guard.

36. insomnia411

insomnia411 The world is yours

At this point, there are 5 players that I would be very happy with in the first round. They are (in no particular order) Lane Johnson, Tavon Austin, Tyler Eifert, Isaih Trufant or Bjoern Werner. Tavon would make our passing attack special IMO.

37. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

He's a rare talent. Look at at the kind of plays he makes, you don't just find guys like that on trees.

That said, I don't think we're going to draft him because Joe Philbin wants receivers who can play from any position and I don't know if he has the size or skills to be an outside receiver.

38. Muad'Dib

Muad'Dib Member

Every time he touches the ball he is a legit threat to take it the distance. I would love to see the Phins get him!

39. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

As I said in another Austin post, I'm on record saying I would prefer Tyler Eifert and I am not as big of a fan of Austin as most here. However, with the rule changes in the NFL the game is becoming like a flag football or 7-on-7 game. It would be hard to argue that there's a better flag football player in the draft than Austin. Those of us who like size have to remember that the game is changing and size is not as valuable as it once was. Speed is now golden and Austin has tons of speed.

40. chrispepper

chrispepper Well-Known Member

Watch his game against Oklahoma and then try not to gush about him.