Why is everyone so high on Ronnie Brown? Educate me...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by texasPHINSfan, Jan 3, 2005.

1. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan Pro Bowl

I have never seen him play, and maybe that is my error, but looking at stats i do not see anything absolutely "remarkable" as everyone has made him sound on here.

stats: 845 yards rushing 8 TDs 313 receiving yards 1 receiving TD

those stats aren't bad, but lets not forget thats college! everyone's stats are inflated in college.

compare that to Benson: 1764 yards rushing 19 TDs 179 receiving yards 1 receiving TD

now, i don't like Benson's me-first attitude and thus don't think we should get him, but with stats like that how does brown look more attractive than benson? I won't post every college RB stats up here, but i am sure there are droves of players who played better.

what am i missing? please educate me!

2. Phinz4Life

Phinz4Life Hall Of Famer

Brown splits carries with Cadillac. It's an effective one-two punch.

It's widely believed that Brown is the better of the two. He has the real power, Caddy has the quick moves.

3. Agua

Agua Fighting the media, one lie at a time

Attitude isn't going to be a problem for a rook on a Saban team.

4. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan Pro Bowl

oh.... i see, he splits runs, thats why his stats are low.

ok then. how do we know he is that great though? how do we know he can handle the workload? why do we pick his power over cadillac's quick moves?

how do we know they will still flourish without each other?

5. NYCdolphin

NYCdolphin Active Member

The guy is a good RB. But again, not worthy of a top 2 pick.

6. Phinz4Life

Phinz4Life Hall Of Famer

Thats the thing, people aren't sure if they can handle full loads because they've been splitting carries.

But Brown has everything you look for in a runningback.

7. inFINSible

inFINSible Don't believe everything you think.

6-1 220...4.4 speed.

8. Prime

Prime FinHeaven Elite

Brown is a complete back. He can block for you, he can catch and of course he can run the ball very well. He will be a good RB in the NFL but i dont think he can carry the whole load for you.

9. Phinz4Life

Phinz4Life Hall Of Famer

See. Thats all we need to hear. :D

10. Jimmy James

Jimmy James You sit on a throne of lies!

What do I like about Brown?

1) He is a complete RB. He can run, block, and catch.

2) He is a team player. He has split time with Williams very effectively.

3) He has shown enough in college while not logging the massive number of carries that Benson has -- I do believe that every RB only has a certain number of carries to give football, so why take a guy with 1000 college carries instead of the guy who only has 500 or so?

4) His size should be ideal for pounding the ball. I don't know if we'll stick with a similar offensive philosophy to what we had with Ricky, but I'd like to do so.

11. Philter25

Philter25 MORE COWBELL!!!

That was my first response to the splitting time with Cadillac. Brown is stronger and has slightly better size than cadillac. He is the biggest of the 3 RBs and had ideal size and speed for a RB coming out of college which translates to me as the best pro candidate. He also is a solid receiver out of the backfield and is more of a FB/RB type running back. More physical, more pounding, great speed.
    Im waiting to see what he posts in the 40... Im predicting a 4.48
    He also doesnt have all the hype because he shared time with Cadillac. If Cadillac wasnt on Auburn, Brown would be the #1 RB coming into the draft.

12. Ferretsquig

Ferretsquig Perennial All-Pro

Noone knows anything. Hes a good running back with the right body type. His combo of height+weight+speed make him an attractive prospect. Add to that his recieving abilities and unselfishness, and you have a good player.

Still I'd take the caddie over him anyday. If you draft Brown its based on potential...if you take Williams its based on his running skills and production.

13. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan Pro Bowl

thanks for filling me in guys...

14. LarryFinFan

LarryFinFan Left So Fla, never the Fins...

Cadillac is the smaller, elusive back and has the better stats, but Brown is bigger and faster than Cadillac and catches the ball well out of the backfield. The pro scouts project him better because of his combination of size, power, and speed....I like Brown and think he would fit our team better than Benson or Cadillac. (just IMHO) Either way, we need to have a more reliable back than Morris/Minor. Also, IMHO, I think Saban may go after a lesser known back and 1-2 punch him with L. Gordon and use the higher pick for more pressing issues...(LT, S, LB, DT, QB, etc)

15. Ferretsquig

Ferretsquig Perennial All-Pro

And that is how franchises are destroyed. Those who draft based on how fast a guy runs or how good he looks in a speedo deserve what they get.

16. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 FinHeaven Elite

Watch them both tonight in the bowl game and choice for yourself :)

17. inFINSible

Positives:
    Despite sharing the load with Carnell Williams at Auburn, Ronnie Brown could very well be the most well-rounded running back in the 2005 NFL Draft. He's an explosive player who runs and catches the ball equally well, however, he doesn't get the attention he deserves because he played in the shadow of another very talented back. He is a punishing ball carrier who runs well inside, has the quickness to pop it outside on occasion, and gets yards after first contact.

He's also a great receiver and blocker who has the versatility to line up as a fullback or as a receiver in the slot. Lining up in the fullback position allowed the Auburn coaching staff to get him on the field more frequently, and also showcased his ability to pick up the blitz. Brown has excellent size, power, and quickness, and he is a very instinctive runner with good vision. As a receiver, Brown has good ball skills and adjusts well to the ball in the air and is dangerous after the catch.

Negatives:
    Brown doesn't have the burst through the line that some of the other top prospects possess, and he displays just average elusiveness. And despite the fact that he has filled the void created by injury in the past, he has never been counted on completely as the No. 1 guy.

Projection:
    Brown's versatility fits the pro game very well and he should cause mismatches in the passing game. He may not have the explosiveness of teammate Carnell Williams or the power of Cedric Benson from Texas, but he has better all-around skills than either of them and in my opinion, will ultimately be more successful at the pro level. I could see Brown being selected anywhere from the early teens overall to the end of the first round.

College Stats :
    In four seasons at Auburn, Ronnie Brown rushed 461 times for 2,641 yards (5.7 ypc) and 27 touchdowns. He also caught 49 passes for 619 yards and two touchdowns.

During his senior season, he rushed for 748 yards on 107 carries (7.0 ypc) and seven touchdowns. He also caught 25 passes for 264 yards and one TD.

18. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan Pro Bowl

yes i definitely had planned on doing that. thanks!

19. Shouright

Shouright A True Fan

Sounds like Sammie Smith. I hate to give up a high pick for a RB. Too many of them don't pan out, and it's too easy to get one in free agency nowadays.

20. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Position: Running Back
    School: Auburn
    Height: 6-0
    40-Yard Dash: 4.45
    Positives:
    Despite sharing the load with Carnell Williams at Auburn, Ronnie Brown could very well be the most well-rounded running back in the 2005 NFL Draft. He's an explosive player who runs and catches the ball equally well, however, he doesn't get the attention he deserves because he played in the shadow of another very talented back. He is a punishing ball carrier who runs well inside, has the quickness to pop it outside on occasion, and gets yards after first contact.
    He's also a great receiver and blocker who has the versatility to line up as a fullback or as a receiver in the slot. Lining up in the fullback position allowed the Auburn coaching staff to get him on the field more frequently, and also showcased his ability to pick up the blitz. Brown has excellent size, power, and quickness, and he is a very instinctive runner with good vision. As a receiver, Brown has good ball skills and adjusts well to the ball in the air and is dangerous after the catch.

Negatives:
    Brown doesn't have the burst through the line that some of the other top prospects possess, and he displays just average elusiveness. And despite the fact that he has filled the void created by injury in the past, he has never been counted on completely as the No. 1 guy.

Projection:
    Brown's versatility fits the pro game very well and he should cause mismatches in the passing game. He may not have the explosiveness of teammate Carnell Williams or the power of Cedric Benson from Texas, but he has better all-around skills than either of them and in my opinion, will ultimately be more successful at the pro level. I could see Brown being selected anywhere from the early teens overall to the end of the first round.

*He has good size, has some good power, and has alot of speed....Works for me :D

21. inFINSible

Too expensive for a team that's going to be rebuilding.

it would be counter productive to sign a FA RB because by the time we're ready to contend seriously, it would be about the same time the FAs contract would be uncarriable cap-wise.

22. Bling

Bling tehMick PWNS my life

Most people love sleepers...While Ronnie isn't unknown potential, he is a sleeper compared to Cadillac and Cedric.

23. Agua

#2 is waaaaaayy too high for a projected RB.

24. Gunner

Gunner Old Sailor

Another sleeper to watch out for is Ciatrick Fason. He could grade out very well also.

25. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

That's why I keep saying that I wanna move down and take Brown a little later and still be able to get a LT. 2 is way too high for Brown imo. The guy that's worth of that number 2 is Edwards and WR is not a big need for us but if we stay put we have to consider him cos you don't use the 2 pick overall to take a guy that you should take at 10.

Ozzy rules!!

26. Bowl_Bound

Bowl_Bound A True Fan

I agree but you dont ignore them either. Its not like the guys came out of nowhere and put up a good combine. He is an all around back (as stated prior) with a great attitude. He can handle the load or split without complaint. He will pass protect, run block or flank as a wr. Whatever is needed. Oh and he runs a 4.4 and is 220lbs+ :D
    I saw him listed as 235lbs and running a "sub 4.5 forty"

27. Philter25

Yup, thats why all us ronnie brown fans want to trade down no matter what. I dont care if we get "listed fair value" for the pick. As long as we can take Brown in the first and pick up a 2nd rounder and a pick next year (2nd round hopefully) I would make the trade in a heartbeat.

28. FinsNYanksFan13

FinsNYanksFan13 Banned on Points

29. Phinz4Life

Phinz4Life Hall Of Famer

30. inFINSible

Cadilac is too small to be a feature back.

If we drafted him, we have to draft two RBs or draft him and sign another FA RB.

Not cost effective at all.

31. Agua

Honestly, he sounds like a JJJ, minus the production.

32. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan Pro Bowl

but wouldn't you agree that a first-rounder, top-ten pick is going to cost us the same as a FA? with the money the top picks are warranting these days, its almost safer to go with a high-dollar FA.... at least with the FA you know what you're going to get...

33. inFINSible

No, they won't even be close to the same cost....

The signing bonus may be close but the base salary won't even be in the same ball park and then you add the fact that you're getting a younger player with his prime years AHEAD of him instead of a player wasting his prime years while the team retools.

34. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan Pro Bowl

the signing bonus doesn't count against the cap? if it does i would think they would cost pretty close to the same....

as far as the age argument, you are definitely correct there...

35. inFINSible

the signing bonus does count aginst the cap, it's just spread out over the length of the contract.

probably 4 years for a FA and 6 years for a draft pick....

36. inFINSible

And OMT, I've seen a lot of FA flops, so, i don't know how you can say, "you know what you're getting".

37. Shouright

Shouright A True Fan

But look at all the guys you can get cheap. Nick Goings, Ruben Droughns, etc. RB just isn't a position you have to spend a top pick on anymore. I'd rather spend top picks on guys that are hard to get, like shut-down CBs, LTs, DEs, and QBs.

38. Philter25

Their signing bonuses are similar but their base salaries are no way comparable. Rookie salaries are much much more cap friendly.

Also, with the high dollar FA, you dont always know what you are getting.

See Hugh Douglas, Clinton Portis, Jeremiah Trotter, Bobby Taylor just to name a few of my FAV overpriced FA flops in the past 1-2 years.

You also dont get the mileage on a FA RB as you would with a rookie RB. They both are risks but you just need to weigh the pros and cons and see how they perform.

39. inFINSible

Lamar Gordon IS Nick Goings or Rueben Droughns.....why settle for that when you can get an "Edgerrin James" in the draft for a lot less than you can get a real Edgerrin James?

40. Philter25

Do you want a cheap RB or else a franchise one? We have a cheapo on our team by the name of Lamar and Travis...... You can get a RB in the draft for cheap, which is exactly whats going to happen with Ronnie Brown. Benson and Williams are hyped more than he is but Brown is the best pro candidate. If he is picked at 10, he is a STEAL. He is cheap and he is a franchise RB. As I listed and listed before by other people, his numbers are the best out of any back coming into the NFL. If Cadillac wasnt on Auburn, Ronnie would be the #1 RB in the draft.

41. dolfan4good

dolfan4good Section 451 Row 10 Seats 14-15

I am an Auburn grad and have watched almost every game the last 3 years. Brown is the better back. When they need the tough yard that's who they turn to. Cadillac seems more "fragile" but is still a great back. Either back would have huge numbers had the other one not been there. I wouldn't mind having the Dolphins take either one.

42. Jimmy James

Jimmy James You sit on a throne of lies!

The Redskins traded for Clinton Portis. :)

43. Shouright

Shouright A True Fan

Don't get me wrong -- I want the real Edgerrin James, but too many of them who are picked high don't pan out. You bust on a #2 overall pick and it ruins you for years. I'd rather pick a safer position and one that's harder to get in FA.

44. Shouright

Shouright A True Fan

This is a weak year for RBs though. I remember when we took Lorenzo Hampton #1, and the only RBs selected ahead of him were Ethan Horton and George Adams. There's a tendency to play up a guy because he's in a weak crowd.

45. inFINSible

I don't think there is a much safer pick in this draft.

Two may be high right now, we'll see after tonight and the combines, whether it's too high come April. :D

46. CrunchTime

CrunchTime FinHeaven Elite

Its a pretty good year for RBs.There is a lot of depth and Brown looks to be the most complete RB among the ones coming out.However if we dont take one with our first two picks there will be some very good ones available later on.

47. my2cents

my2cents Active Member

We are trying to build (or re-build) a TEAM...not a one-man show

1972 was a team........the marino years was a one man show (but... what a SHOW!!) By taking Brown we have more skills wrapped up in a rb/fb/reciever/blocker than just a flashy runner.....imo

48. my2cents

my2cents Active Member

And by-the-way my vote for a later round QB is also playing tonight JASON CAMBELL

49. inFINSible

OT Marcus McNeil is playing also....6'9" 320.....

50. Shouright

Shouright A True Fan

This is what I mean -- you miss on too many of these guys. I'd rather take my chances with LaMont Jordan and draft a position that's harder to come by.