Why is everyone so high on Ronnie Brown? Educate me... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is everyone so high on Ronnie Brown? Educate me...

texasPHINSfan

Pro Bowl
Reaction score
I have never seen him play, and maybe that is my error, but looking at stats i do not see anything absolutely "remarkable" as everyone has made him sound on here.

stats: 845 yards rushing 8 TDs 313 receiving yards 1 receiving TD

those stats aren't bad, but lets not forget thats college! everyone's stats are inflated in college.

compare that to Benson: 1764 yards rushing 19 TDs 179 receiving yards 1 receiving TD

now, i don't like Benson's me-first attitude and thus don't think we should get him, but with stats like that how does brown look more attractive than benson? I won't post every college RB stats up here, but i am sure there are droves of players who played better.

what am i missing? please educate me!

Brown splits carries with Cadillac. It's an effective one-two punch.

It's widely believed that Brown is the better of the two. He has the real power, Caddy has the quick moves.

Attitude isn't going to be a problem for a rook on a Saban team.

Phinz4Life said:
Brown splits carries with Cadillac. It's an effective one-two punch.

It's widely believed that Brown is the better of the two. He has the real power, Caddy has the quick moves.
oh.... i see, he splits runs, thats why his stats are low.

ok then. how do we know he is that great though? how do we know he can handle the workload? why do we pick his power over cadillac's quick moves?

how do we know they will still flourish without each other?

The guy is a good RB. But again, not worthy of a top 2 pick.

texasPHINSfan said:

ok then. how do we know he is that great though? how do we know he can handle the workload? why do we pick his power over cadillac's quick moves?

Thats the thing, people aren't sure if they can handle full loads because they've been splitting carries.

But Brown has everything you look for in a runningback.

When Williams went down with an injury half way through the 2002 season, Brown came on and finished the season with 175 carries for 1,008 yards and 13 TD.

6-1 220...4.4 speed.

Brown is a complete back. He can block for you, he can catch and of course he can run the ball very well. He will be a good RB in the NFL but i dont think he can carry the whole load for you.

What do I like about Brown?

1) He is a complete RB. He can run, block, and catch.

2) He is a team player. He has split time with Williams very effectively.

3) He has shown enough in college while not logging the massive number of carries that Benson has -- I do believe that every RB only has a certain number of carries to give football, so why take a guy with 1000 college carries instead of the guy who only has 500 or so?

4) His size should be ideal for pounding the ball. I don't know if we'll stick with a similar offensive philosophy to what we had with Ricky, but I'd like to do so.

texasPHINSfan said:

That was my first response to the splitting time with Cadillac. Brown is stronger and has slightly better size than cadillac. He is the biggest of the 3 RBs and had ideal size and speed for a RB coming out of college which translates to me as the best pro candidate. He also is a solid receiver out of the backfield and is more of a FB/RB type running back. More physical, more pounding, great speed.
Im waiting to see what he posts in the 40... Im predicting a 4.48
He also doesnt have all the hype because he shared time with Cadillac. If Cadillac wasnt on Auburn, Brown would be the #1 RB coming into the draft.

texasPHINSfan said:

Noone knows anything. Hes a good running back with the right body type. His combo of height+weight+speed make him an attractive prospect. Add to that his recieving abilities and unselfishness, and you have a good player.

Still I'd take the caddie over him anyday. If you draft Brown its based on potential...if you take Williams its based on his running skills and production.

Cadillac is the smaller, elusive back and has the better stats, but Brown is bigger and faster than Cadillac and catches the ball well out of the backfield. The pro scouts project him better because of his combination of size, power, and speed....I like Brown and think he would fit our team better than Benson or Cadillac. (just IMHO) Either way, we need to have a more reliable back than Morris/Minor. Also, IMHO, I think Saban may go after a lesser known back and 1-2 punch him with L. Gordon and use the higher pick for more pressing issues...(LT, S, LB, DT, QB, etc)

inFINSible said:
6-1 220...4.4 speed.
And that is how franchises are destroyed. Those who draft based on how fast a guy runs or how good he looks in a speedo deserve what they get.

Back
Top Bottom