Why is everyone so surprised? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is everyone so surprised?

The pass defense surrendered a YPA of 10 to the Raiders, amidst a passer rating of 121.3 by Jay Cutler.

In other words, the pass defense played horrendously, even alongside a high-quality performance by the offense.

There have been 30 games in 2017 in which at least one of the teams involved had a YPA of at least 9.5. Those teams with the YPA of at least of 9.5 were 29-1. The one team that lost with a YPA of at least 9.5 was beaten by a team with a YPA of 10.9.

You stand almost no chance of winning in the NFL when you surrender a YPA of 10. The Dolphins' pass defense gave this team very little if any chance of winning Sunday night.

Yikes...nice chatting with you.

Wouldn't say I'm surprised. After Ryan went down I knew it would be an uphill battle for us.

What I am is disappointed in the fact that once again our OL has sucked. It's been years and we still can't get it right.

We've all seen this movie before. When the coach is in over his head, he doubles down on his rhetoric and starts flailing. Then the fan base splinters between apologists and haters with moderate people who are relatively indifferent. Then, like a nightmarish whack-a-mole game gone horribly wrong, the team keeps solving one issue only to have different ones crop up...it's all a symptom of poor coaching. This regime is toast. It's all over but the shouting at this point. Time for another cut and shuffle.

Reactions: <O>
The pass defense surrendered a YPA of 10 to the Raiders, amidst a passer rating of 121.3 by Jay Cutler.

In other words, the pass defense played horrendously, even alongside a high-quality performance by the offense.

There have been 30 games in 2017 in which at least one of the teams involved had a YPA of at least 9.5. Those teams with the YPA of at least of 9.5 were 29-1. The one team that lost with a YPA of at least 9.5 was beaten by a team with a YPA of 10.9.

You stand almost no chance of winning in the NFL when you surrender a YPA of 10. The Dolphins' pass defense gave this team very little if any chance of winning Sunday night.
Not going to argue w the stats but I will say this - the field was slippery for the pass rushers on both teams. Cutler had more time to throw than any game this season and his YPA were the best they've been all year. I don't think that was a coincidence meaning both QBs couldn't miss unless they suffered a drop by the receivers for the most part. I really think that was the field affecting the rushers more than anything.

First post here. I felt compelled to chime in.

I get it, our offense has been inept and our record is well..mediocre to say the least. It sucks to be here, but why is everyone so surprised? I don't think that we expected a winning record at mid point this season with Jay Cutler at the helm. Our team isn't going to do anything in the playoffs even if we somehow manage to squeeze our way in.

Also, Gase is not to blame for the way things are going this season. If anything, blame Tannenbaum for not addressing the offensive line and ****ty luck with Tannehill going down. Gase went with the best option on the table by signing Cutler who he has had success with in the past. We had enough talent to compete this year and he wanted to give our team a fighting chance with the cards we were dealt with.

I mean look at teams like the Packers and Texans. Those teams have talent on their rosters but aren't going to jack this year with backup QBs.
Welcome and good post. For me, I denounced the Cutler signing but I still had hope because I reasoned that at least it happened in camp and not in the middle of the season. You are correct in that there aren't enough good QBs to fill out starting roster spots. You see what's happened to GB and Houston without their starters - their offenses suddenly can't do anything. This is why I'm not so sure our roster sucks as bad as many people believe. If you use that logic in GB and Houston you'd suddenly be calling every player there a bust, over paid, etc. Without very good QB play everyone else looks meh. Except John Denney. He always looks good.

While I dont think Gase is at fault for all of our woes this season he certainly deserves his share of the blame. The playcalling for the most part has been pretty horrific, and that's 100% on Gase. There also doesn't seem to be Any type of plan to attack opposing defenses weaknesses. It appears to me that Gase is going to run his scheme and plays no matter what the defense does and without a lot of variety so this has made it pretty damn easy to defend our offense.

Did Madden have them run the sprinklers all night again? LOL. No surprise the team has folded without #17, surprised we can't even get a decent f***ing field to play on though...

While I dont think Gase is at fault for all of our woes this season he certainly deserves his share of the blame. The playcalling for the most part has been pretty horrific, and that's 100% on Gase. There also doesn't seem to be Any type of plan to attack opposing defenses weaknesses. It appears to me that Gase is going to run his scheme and plays no matter what the defense does and without a lot of variety so this has made it pretty damn easy to defend our offense.
That's the weird thing. We haven't really seen a varied offensive attack based on the opponent. Then again, when we take a penalty on every 1st play of every drive the game plan probably goes out the window.

Some of your points stand out most when I watch other games and see brilliant play designs executed well. You just kind of think about how much better we could be. Miami just never seems to have plays that look easy or bread and butter plays that are hard to defend consistently.

The play design for the Dolphins WAS brilliant on Sunday night. That's how we racked up like over 400 yards of offense with Kenyan Drake, Julius Thomas, and Jay Cutler as our big offensive weapons, even with dreadful performances from Pouncey and Bushrod.

Not going to argue w the stats but I will say this - the field was slippery for the pass rushers on both teams. Cutler had more time to throw than any game this season and his YPA were the best they've been all year. I don't think that was a coincidence meaning both QBs couldn't miss unless they suffered a drop by the receivers for the most part. I really think that was the field affecting the rushers more than anything.

And that may be true, but under those conditions Carr did what only 30 teams have done in the league in 2017 (a YPA [10] of at least 9.5), whereas Cutler's 7.4 YPA was merely average.

And a 2.6-yard difference in YPA may seem meager, but in this area it's actually extreme.

Moreover, the Raiders have one of the worst pass defenses in the league, especially downfield.

So when the conditions were very favorable for the offensive passing game for both teams, the Dolphins performed at only an average level in terms of YPA, whereas the Raiders performed extremely well. That's an indictment of Miami's pass defense.

O, you are correct that Miami's pass defense was horrible. I would point out that Wake couldn't get the footing to do his normal array of moves and was quiet all night. Wake usually makes big plays for us and that was absent against the Raiders. I would also give Carr credit for throwing some perfect passes and credit to their Tight End who crushed us all night. How could the same player beat you all game? Kiko was no match in coverage, didn't Burke notice that?

Gase called a good game and the offense seemed to have some rhythm for a change. We all know about the flags, they gave us no chance for victory. We're just not good enough to beat the Raiders and the Refs!

“Also, Gase is not to blame for the way things are going this season. If anything, blame Tannenbaum for not addressing the offensive line...”

So it wasn’t Gase but Tannenbaum who kept telling us after last season that he didn’t need great guards to run his “system”? And are you sure it was Tannenbaum who told us that Bushrod was his top graded lineman last year?

Back
Top Bottom