Why is everyone so surprised? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is everyone so surprised?

The surprise could be credited to how inept we are, big money players doing nothing, and false hope from a playoff appearance last year.

Yes, Jay isn’t Ryan, but it’s no excuse for scoring 6 points in 3 losses. It was 3 games our players, and coaches didn’t show up for, and were not prepared. Jay doesn’t excuse the worst oline in the NFL. We have 3 first round picks on the Oline, and a lot of money and resources invested in a horrific group. There was a lot of evidence to suggest the middle of our line would be horrible, and Gase ignored it, and assured us it would be fine, and it is far from fine. The scariest part of our how inept we are on offense is this is why Gase got the job, so in year two to see guys not being able to run the offense, know their duties, and to be beating themselves, you have to wonder where is the upside?

Reactions: <O>
The play design for the Dolphins WAS brilliant on Sunday night. That's how we racked up like over 400 yards of offense with Kenyan Drake, Julius Thomas, and Jay Cutler as our big offensive weapons, even with dreadful performances from Pouncey and Bushrod.

Heck, it easily could have been over 500 yards of offense without all the penalties, and miscues. People are who are complaining that we "didn't go long" have no clue what they are talking about. Gase took what the defense gave him, and if it wasn't for player mistakes his game plan was perfect.

O, you are correct that Miami's pass defense was horrible. I would point out that Wake couldn't get the footing to do his normal array of moves and was quiet all night. Wake usually makes big plays for us and that was absent against the Raiders. I would also give Carr credit for throwing some perfect passes and credit to their Tight End who crushed us all night. How could the same player beat you all game? Kiko was no match in coverage, didn't Burke notice that?

Gase called a good game and the offense seemed to have some rhythm for a change. We all know about the flags, they gave us no chance for victory. We're just not good enough to beat the Raiders and the Refs!

The biggest issue with the pass defense in my opinion is the lack of a safety who has even average pass coverage skills. That allows an awful lot to happen downfield.

The surprise could be credited to how inept we are, big money players doing nothing, and false hope from a playoff appearance last year.

Yes, Jay isn’t Ryan, but it’s no excuse for scoring 6 points in 3 losses. It was 3 games our players, and coaches didn’t show up for, and were not prepared. Jay doesn’t excuse the worst oline in the NFL. We have 3 first round picks on the Oline, and a lot of money and resources invested in a horrific group. There was a lot of evidence to suggest the middle of our line would be horrible, and Gase ignored it, and assured us it would be fine, and it is far from fine. The scariest part of our how inept we are on offense is this is why Gase got the job, so in year two to see guys not being able to run the offense, know their duties, and to be beating themselves, you have to wonder where is the upside?

Anytime a team is shut out 25 times the expected rate in the league within seven games, it's by definition a surprise.

And that may be true, but under those conditions Carr did what only 30 teams have done in the league in 2017 (a YPA [10] of at least 9.5), whereas Cutler's 7.4 YPA was merely average.

And a 2.6-yard difference in YPA may seem meager, but in this area it's actually extreme.

Moreover, the Raiders have one of the worst pass defenses in the league, especially downfield.

So when the conditions were very favorable for the offensive passing game for both teams, the Dolphins performed at only an average level in terms of YPA, whereas the Raiders performed extremely well. That's an indictment of Miami's pass defense.
Right - but Cutler performed above HIS average for the season...

It's amazing how we as fans ignore the people that get paid to analyze a team and predict a line. I believe Vegas had our wins at 5.5 or 6

Keep in mind, while the raiders have struggled mightily this year, last year they had one of the best passing attacks in the NFL.

They had their starting QB, WR1, WR2, and stud TE all healthy for that game.

The ONLY big play that got past our D was to their 3rd WR on a mismatch with Jones.

No, our pass D isnt there yet, but its not as bad as those numbers say.

When you play "bend but dont break" you are going to give up alot of cheap yards. The idea is to limit those big plays, and I think they did fairly well all things considered.

The biggest issue with the pass defense in my opinion is the lack of a safety who has even average pass coverage skills. That allows an awful lot to happen downfield.

This is a good point. I feel like our CB's do an OK job but the middle of the field is wide open. Seems like Oakland feasted on anyone not named Howard, Tank or McCain in that game. Not saying the CB's are perfect but Jones and the LB's, when in coverage, were torched. I hope McDonald is better in Coverage than Jones. I don't think it's what he's know for but he has to be better than Jones is in coverage. For a PB safety he's laughable in coverage. On that deep ball he seemed to have perfect position but stood there and watched the guy catch it.

The optimistic side of me agrees with Gase though. I feel like the offense is on the brink but I'm not sure they can overcome the OL issues. I love the RB's being involved in the passing game. It's a weakness the Patriots have been exploiting for years and something we sort of had last year but didn't have this year. I've always been a huge Landry fan, I shocked he doesn't know where to line up and is not football smart. I always thought that sort of thing was his MO.

Keep in mind, while the raiders have struggled mightily this year, last year they had one of the best passing attacks in the NFL.

They had their starting QB, WR1, WR2, and stud TE all healthy for that game.

The ONLY big play that got past our D was to their 3rd WR on a mismatch with Jones.

No, our pass D isnt there yet, but its not as bad as those numbers say.

When you play "bend but dont break" you are going to give up alot of cheap yards. The idea is to limit those big plays, and I think they did fairly well all things considered.

Maybe I have low standards but I really haven't been upset with the defense all year. Even against Baltimore they really only gave up 26 in a game where the offense was 100% inept. 0-0 ties are pretty rare. A buddy of mine once mentioned to me that he hates watching football with the guy who loses his mind every time a defense gives up a play. He says we need to remember every guy on an NFL football field is a pro who is capable of making plays. Finheaven reminds he of his buddy at times especially in the game threads and more so for the morons who start separate threads during games (we should be locked down from starting threads during games when there is an entire discussion thread about the game active). We don't have the best defense in the NFL but it's good enough if it gets some support. They gave up a late TD but they gave the offense like 3 chances, including a turnover, to take the lead late. The offense needs to capitalize.

This is a good point. I feel like our CB's do an OK job but the middle of the field is wide open. Seems like Oakland feasted on anyone not named Howard, Tank or McCain in that game. Not saying the CB's are perfect but Jones and the LB's, when in coverage, were torched. I hope McDonald is better in Coverage than Jones. I don't think it's what he's know for but he has to be better than Jones is in coverage. For a PB safety he's laughable in coverage. On that deep ball he seemed to have perfect position but stood there and watched the guy catch it.

The optimistic side of me agrees with Gase though. I feel like the offense is on the brink but I'm not sure they can overcome the OL issues. I love the RB's being involved in the passing game. It's a weakness the Patriots have been exploiting for years and something we sort of had last year but didn't have this year. I've always been a huge Landry fan, I shocked he doesn't know where to line up and is not football smart. I always thought that sort of thing was his MO.

I also feel that what we really need is a ballhawking free safety. But it doesnt look like our coaching staff sees it that way. Maybe I'm wrong, but TJM isnt that guy that is gonna play deep centerfield and give help to our corners on the deep ball.

What I DO think TJM will help with is taking away the middle of the field. All those cheap dump offs to RBs and TEs, I think we will get noticeably better defending.

On that deep play to Jones, to me, it looked like he was still playing the WR and not playing the ball. He should have been playing the ball, it was in the air long enough! That said, while I think he is faster than TJM (/shrug I think he is....) he isnt free safety fast. That ball was just VERY well thrown by a VERY good QB.

Seems to me, Jones has been working overtime trying to cover some of our deficiencies in the secondary. If TJM can come in and solidify that second safety spot, Jones will become much more effective going forward.

I also feel that what we really need is a ballhawking free safety. But it doesnt look like our coaching staff sees it that way. Maybe I'm wrong, but TJM isnt that guy that is gonna play deep centerfield and give help to our corners on the deep ball.

What I DO think TJM will help with is taking away the middle of the field. All those cheap dump offs to RBs and TEs, I think we will get noticeably better defending.

On that deep play to Jones, to me, it looked like he was still playing the WR and not playing the ball. He should have been playing the ball, it was in the air long enough! That said, while I think he is faster than TJM (/shrug I think he is....) he isnt free safety fast. That ball was just VERY well thrown by a VERY good QB.

Seems to me, Jones has been working overtime trying to cover some of our deficiencies in the secondary. If TJM can come in and solidify that second safety spot, Jones will become much more effective going forward.

Just a technical point . . . TJM will come in with fresh legs and should have no 8th game bumps/bruises.

Maybe I have low standards but I really haven't been upset with the defense all year. Even against Baltimore they really only gave up 26 in a game where the offense was 100% inept. 0-0 ties are pretty rare. A buddy of mine once mentioned to me that he hates watching football with the guy who loses his mind every time a defense gives up a play. He says we need to remember every guy on an NFL football field is a pro who is capable of making plays. Finheaven reminds he of his buddy at times especially in the game threads and more so for the morons who start separate threads during games (we should be locked down from starting threads during games when there is an entire discussion thread about the game active). We don't have the best defense in the NFL but it's good enough if it gets some support. They gave up a late TD but they gave the offense like 3 chances, including a turnover, to take the lead late. The offense needs to capitalize.

It may not be that you have low standards, but rather that you're just unaware of the fact that surrendering an opposing passer rating between 99 and 105 (the Dolphins' is 102) has been associated with a 4-12 record on average in the league since 2004.

19 teams have finished seasons surrendering opposing passer ratings between 99 and 105 since 2004. Only one of them had a winning record, and that was the 2004 Packers with Brett Favre, which finished 10-6.

In other words, when an NFL defense plays in this manner, it puts tremendous pressure on the rest of the team to play in such a way as to overcome the ineptitude on defense, and that almost never happens in the league. NFL offenses can almost never overcome a defense that's playing in such a way, and certainly this one isn't about to either.

It was our linebackers that got exposed, not the safety's. Kiko was abused all night.

First post here. I felt compelled to chime in.

I get it, our offense has been inept and our record is well..mediocre to say the least. It sucks to be here, but why is everyone so surprised? I don't think that we expected a winning record at mid point this season with Jay Cutler at the helm. Our team isn't going to do anything in the playoffs even if we somehow manage to squeeze our way in.

Also, Gase is not to blame for the way things are going this season. If anything, blame Tannenbaum for not addressing the offensive line and ****ty luck with Tannehill going down. Gase went with the best option on the table by signing Cutler who he has had success with in the past. We had enough talent to compete this year and he wanted to give our team a fighting chance with the cards we were dealt with.

I mean look at teams like the Packers and Texans. Those teams have talent on their rosters but aren't going to jack this year with backup QBs.

You may have just answered 20 questions in one statement. Tannehill's absence is a MUCH bigger problem than any of us expected.

Well,I thought we were going to the SuperBowl this year...
I think we will go to the SuperBowl every year...
Yes...I'm insane!!

Back
Top Bottom