Why is Landry worth 8 million more then Edelman? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is Landry worth 8 million more then Edelman?

motormouthmaz

Rookie
Reaction score
Explain this to me? Secondly look at the playoffs only 1 of the top 20 paid receivers are still in. It is stupid to pay a WR big money. A good coach can design plays to get WR open we need that 14 million for the offensive and defensive lines. That is how you win in the playoffs.

Such a great mindset . . . guy puts his heart and soul into a team for 4 years, does not hold out at all, makes 3.5 million in those 4 years, earns the right to free agency and now people get up in arms because like every other NFL player he has earned the right to a big pay day.

If a team lets a quality player like Jarvis hit free agency, he will get paid, it is up to the team to make that decision.

Like I said in another thread, you probably could of given Juice a Doug Baldwin like deal last year which would of put him in the 5 years/57.5 million dollar range. (11.5 million AAV)

Instead if you give him 4 years/56 million (14 million AAV) this year + the rookie deal he played on for 1 million in 2017 . . . it equals out to 5 years/57 million. (11.4 AAV)

So in the end it isn't much of a difference from a contract perspective.

That is ABSOLUTELY the way you have to look at it and I am sorry if people cannot grasp that concept. Miami took their savings in 2017 and they had the leverage to not pay Jarvis so if anything happened to him longterm they would never have to pay him. Jarvis took all the risk so absolutely he deserves to get paid and if Miami wants to be perceived as this first class organization that handles their business with players and draft picks . . . . they would understand this and get a deal worked out, or they can continue to develop draft picks only to lose them in 4/5 years when they enter their primes.

New England gave an injury prone Gronk an extension extremely early and got savings longterm but they could of let him play it out and it would of gotten expensive but they would of saved in the short term. It is how deals are done and the overall tenure of the player needs to be considered . . . with what he would of gotten and what the team saved by extending early or not extending until FA.

Explain this to me? Secondly look at the playoffs only 1 of the top 20 paid receivers are still in. It is stupid to pay a WR big money. A good coach can design plays to get WR open we need that 14 million for the offensive and defensive lines. That is how you win in the playoffs.

Well, you kind of answered your own question and how many of us have characterized the situation. He's not worth top WR money. But I would disagree with your simplification of 'getting guys open.' Edelman is a good player, give him some credit.

So that means he's worth 14 mill a year?

Ozzy rules!!

Edelman signed an extension last year averaging 5.5M per year right before his 31st birthday. Typically WR's of that age do not get big contracts. Especially in NE. I believe he was scheduled to make almost $9M in 2017 before the extension. He's also missed 39 regular season games over the last 4 years.

Playing for a perennial SB team has other monetary benefits so players there sometimes take less to stay. Look at Tom Brady. He was the 15th highest paid QB in the league in 2017. NE is not a great comparison, IMO.

Doug Baldwin....another top slot receiver signed for $11.5M two years ago.

Such a great mindset . . . guy puts his heart and soul into a team for 4 years, does not hold out at all, makes 3.5 million in those 4 years, earns the right to free agency and now people get up in arms because like every other NFL player he has earned the right to a big pay day.

If a team lets a quality player like Jarvis hit free agency, he will get paid, it is up to the team to make that decision.

Like I said in another thread, you probably could of given Juice a Doug Baldwin like deal last year which would of put him in the 5 years/57.5 million dollar range. (11.5 million AAV)

Instead if you give him 4 years/56 million (14 million AAV) this year + the rookie deal he played on for 1 million in 2017 . . . it equals out to 5 years/57 million. (11.4 AAV)

That is ABSOLUTELY the way you have to look at it and I am sorry if people cannot grasp that concept. Miami took their savings in 2017 and they had the leverage to not pay Jarvis so if anything happened to him longterm they would never have to pay him. Jarvis took all the risk so absolutely he deserves to get paid and if Miami wants to be perceived as this first class organization that handles their business with players and draft picks . . . . they would understand this and get a deal worked out, or they can continue to develop draft picks only to lose them in 4/5 years when they enter their primes.

New England gave an injury prone Gronk an extension extremely early and got savings longterm but they could of let him play it out and it would of gotten expensive but they would of saved in the short term. It is how deals are done and the overall tenure of the player needs to be considered . . . with what he would of gotten and what the team saved by extending early or not extending until FA.

amen

Again with that? So then again I ask, will James, Parker and Harris give the team back some money because they didn't play like first round picks? That's not how it works. You don't just over pay just because YOU feel he didn't make as much money as say a first round pick made. Nobody's saying he shouldn't want as much as possible. What some people are saying is that WE shouldn't over pay for him. Why is THAT so hard to understand? There has to be a pay structure and it should not include over paying for a slot WR but then again, how much is fair?

Ozzy rules!!

Edelman signed an extension last year averaging 5.5M per year right before his 31st birthday. Typically WR's of that age do not get big contracts. Especially in NE. I believe he was scheduled to make almost $9M in 2017 before the extension. He's also missed 39 regular season games over the last 4 years.

Playing for a perennial SB team has other monetary benefits so players there sometimes take less to stay. Look at Tom Brady. He was the 15th highest paid QB in the league in 2017. NE is not a great comparison, IMO.

Doug Baldwin....another top slot receiver signed for $11.5M two years ago.
my question was, do you think he's worth 14mill a year? I don't believe he is but it's ok if you do

Ozzy rules!!

Post of the year so far. Right on.

Back
Top Bottom