why is Oline the priority and not WR?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Danny, May 6, 2014.

1. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

Let me explain. I know what happened last year. I also know we need to get better up front. We need to draft at least 1 olineman or 2. Having said that, the biggest problem we've had for years now it's not scoring enough points. Points in the NFL come from the passing game. So, imo we need guys that can score TDs. A guy I like is Kelvin Benjamin. The guy can be a beast. He needs some work but the tools are there. We have nobody like him on the roster. He could be the target we've been missing for years. I'd take a TD maker over a RT at 19.

2. Dolphins7273

Dolphins7273 A True Fan

Because everyone thinks that our receivers are just fine and dandy, even though none of them are anything special.

3. Zounds

Zounds A True Fan Donator

None of them are truley special, but they aren't bad either. Our OL is bad, like really bad.

4. Djavelin

Djavelin Head Dolphin In This Pod Donator

Oline is worse than we core.

5. dobrasz54

dobrasz54 Scout Team Finheaven VIP Donator

Because our WRs can go out there and at least play well and compete. We still don't have a right guard or right tackle. Besides even if we get a WR it won't mean sh** if Tannehill keeps getting sacked due to not having an o-line.

6. MRojas4

MRojas4 The Cheese Connoisseur Finheaven VIP

Heres the simple answer.

If 1 of our top 3 WR's goes down, we are screwed.

If we don't get at least 1 top O-line draft that is ready to start now.....we are screwed.

We could have Calvin Johnson and Dez Bryant at WR and it would not make a difference. Tannehill needs time to throw. 50+ sacks in a season? Thats just ridiculous.

7. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Because you could have a HOF TE, PB WR's and a PB RB with a PB QB, and end up 4-12.

Tannehill put up Matt Ryan numbers despite having inferior talent as you would say. And won 4 more games.

8. Dolphins7273

Dolphins7273 A True Fan

Yes, our OL is a flaming turd, but we should still be looking for upgrades at WR. Most of the guys we have would be nothing but 3rd, or 4th options on other teams.

9. DolfanDuBbZ~

Thats your opinion. But win/loss wise, they are far from being as bad as you make them out to be. Fix this line and get a TE.....it isn't that hard to figure out. Getting another WR without fixing the most glaring problem, is stupid. Right now, in the AFC East, MIA does not match up well against any team, up front. NONE.

10. MRojas4

I don't know about THAT bad.

Wallace in the right system is easily a #1, NOT ELITE, but a #1. Hartline/Gibson remain 2/3's.

11. Dolphins7273

Dolphins7273 A True Fan

Wallace is the only one that mildly resembles a #1. He suffers from a bad case of the dropsies, so I'd be more inclined to rate him a #2.

12. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

erm we have 2 starting linemen.....

13. DolfanDuBbZ~

These people think McKinnie would be a viable option at RT. Like seriously?:ponder:

14. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Our WR's may be a couple of #2's, and a solid #3, maybe two if Matthews steps up a bit. Our RG and RT are somewhere between #99 and infinity.

Although I do understand your point of view.

15. So Be

So Be A True Fan

It's based on name recognition, and some good thing he said last year. Surely not on his play to anyone who watched.

16. vagrantprodigy

vagrantprodigy A True Fan

Because we have 2 gaping holes on our Oline, and 1 that's very questionable. We absolutely cannot go into next year without that solved. If we do that, we'll have to replace Tannehill, because at the end he'll be shellshocked like David Carr.

17. Twitches Brew

Twitches Brew A True Fan

Mike Wallace getting hurt is probably more devastating than Albert getting hurt, if you want to think of it that way.

18. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

Hartline is a fine 2 and Gibson is a fine 3. Wallace is a decent 1. Stop hating on these guys get the oline fixed

19. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

I would draft a WR who can come in and start and two O-lineman who can also compete for a starting spot....within our first five picks.

20. psfign

psfign A True Fan

If RT & Wallace can connect on the deep ball, the WR unit will be fine.

21. JamesBW43

JamesBW43 You're standing on my neck Finheaven VIP

I was beating the same drum for a little while, but the more I think about it, I really miss having a running game and effective play action. Everyone likes to say this is a passing league now, and it is for sure, but a running game is still important and it improves the passing game by keeping the defense honest. It may not improve point production as well as a good WR/TE would but it comes with other benefits like extending drives, making the QB more comfortable, making the QB less subject to potential injury, reducing the number of situations with high turnover potential, and balancing your offense so you can punish teams that have bad run defenses.

Now I'm not going to go as far as to say we should reach for o-line if it's not there, but I won't be upset if we end up with Martin or trade back and grab a guard.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2014
  22. nick1

Compare our group to NE. I think we would come out on top in terms of WRs. Fix the line

23. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

Again, I never said our oline is fine. My point is that I'd not take a RT at 19 if a playmaking WR is there and he's much better than the RT. I want us to draft a RT but at the right spot. You don't take the 54th best player on the board at 19.

24. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

It's easy. Compare our players to Green Bay's. Where are we lacking? It's pretty obvious that Philbin wants GB south in Miami. We need a killer TE. Maybe the Sefferian guy. Imagine a quick Sef and Clay with Gibson, Hartline, Wallace. Someone would be making plays.
    What is Lazor's style/ Does he like TE's, speedy WR's.?
    I like Hickey so far, and I believe now that he has his opportunity to put his name on 2014, he will take advantage of it. In Hickey I trust!

25. truedolfan57

truedolfan57 A True Fan

dolphins almost had 2 1000yd wr's, despite 58 sacks. could you imagine how they would do, with a decent oline?

26. psfign

psfign A True Fan

Well its just the way youre coming at this. Sounds like your exagerating WR needs and minimalizing OL needs.

27. hoops

hoops exited stage left

dear god make it stop

28. DolfanDuBbZ~

Miami could have made the playoffs if not for the oline play. Not the play of the WRs.

29. hoops

hoops exited stage left

would have scored more points too

30. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

Fair enough. That wasn't my intention. I like our WRs but feel we can use a playmaker. I also agree we need to improve the oline. Just don't want to reach. Maybe a better question could have been. ....are you willing to take a RT with a 2nd or 3rd round grade just cause we need one?

31. marinotoclayton

marinotoclayton Pro Bowler

While I too an not overly enamored with the wideouts! The O-line is still in worse shape we can't run or pass effectively if the line isn't up to par! Pick up a couple of linemen and maybe a wideout later! Still havr other needs like LB and maybe RB. Aside from the line.

32. truedolfan57

truedolfan57 A True Fan

not to mention keeping the QB upright. what's good about having stud WR's, if the oline sucks and the qb gets hurt?

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

it really depends. does the team want to risk waiting in the 2nd or 3rd round, and those lineman get taken before Miami can draft? essentially not getting any lineman they wanted, on their board?

33. D0lphan72

D0lphan72 War... War never changes Donator

The stupid **** people come up with. It doesnt matter if you have Jerry Rice and Randy Moss. You aren't getting them the ball without an oline

34. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I think that Hartline, who is far from a HOF WR, may differ with that opinion.

35. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

/thread

Seriously I don't know how people can come up with some of this crap. If we were in a true BPA position, taking a wr would be great. but major holes everyone =/= using a pick on a capable unit. It would be like taking d-line in the 1st

36. MRojas4

Plain and simple.

If we do not walk away from the draft with a starter caliber RT and OG we are screwed.

Period.

37. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

we might have to settle for the 5th best tackle at #19, but we can most likely still get the top guard

38. cangrejero

cangrejero Well-Known Member

Why have a great receiver if Tanny can't throw the deep ball?????

39. nick1

The line didn't allow for him to. You may not realize but a QB has to step into the pass for an effective deep pass. It's also coaching. You have to target Wallace early, easier to hit a 30 or 40 yard pass then 50 or 60. Th pocket stays clean too

40. JamesBW43

I'm not trying to say we don't need oline help (or that this is a reason not to draft a WR) but Tannehill struggled to throw a good deep ball even when he was able to step up cleanly.

41. DolfanDuBbZ~

Yep, in between those 58 sacks. My favorite was watching Tannehill get hit on a 3 step drop. That one was for the ages.

How anyone can expect Tannehill to play good QB, despite being hammered at a league high clip, is beyond me. A QB who needs a run game to set up everything he does well. A QB who didn't even have enough oline athleticism to do simple screens, counters or sweeps.

I can over look things for Tannehill, when talking about things he should have done better, when you look at the whole problem. I will not over look the FO putting that **** back on the field.

42. JamesBW43

Rodgers did pretty well in 2011 despite being sacked 41 times.

I'm not going to argue that oline play doesn't affect the QB, or that Tannehill should play as well as Rodgers but when you have a wide open target and you get the ball off clean you need to hit that target.

I'm not saying this to rag on Tannehill, I like him a lot and I think he will improve his deep ball this year because the year prior he didn't even have a deep threat. But let's not pretend he didn't have flaws last year.

43. DolfanDuBbZ~

So we are now trying to compare Tannehill who was a 2nd year starter to a then, 7th year vet(SB MVP)? Gotcha. All the while Rodgers beings sacked on avg 1 less than Tannehill per game?

I understand Tannehill's issue with the long ball. But I also understand, that Tannehill thrives in the PA game. And last year....this team was not fooling many with their playaction.

44. JamesBW43

That's all I was pointing out. Wasn't saying he's bad or was in a good situation.

45. truedolfan57

truedolfan57 A True Fan

what exactly are you saying, that's relevant to this thread? or you just here to point out tannehill's flaws?

46. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Do explain. I couldn't disagree more. Losing Wallace would suck, a lot. But who the hell plays LT without Albert? Please do not say they are plug and play. PLEASE do not say that

47. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

Youre off topic here. "Still looking for upgrades" =/= "Priority". Are you retracting your initial assessment that WR is a priority over OL?

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

Yeah, not even close to be honest with you.

48. nick1

Albert is more important then wallace if we debate which injury would be worse. Look at last year if you are curious what Albert getting injured would look like

49. dolfin530

dolfin530 Student of the Game

It's about who is available at #19. If BPA is WR then fine. If it's OL then so be it.

50. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

A good GM can find starting quality OL in the third and fourth rounds while also taking potential playmakers high. I'd like to see if we have a good GM.