Why is Tony Sporano a good coach? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is Tony Sporano a good coach?

BTW, if you are going to come up with a lame post, you should at least spell his name correctly. I guess that shows how much thought was pu into the post.

Everyone seems to forget that he is dealt a hand full of young talent that will unfortuanately not develop overnight.
I have to say he has done well with what he has. And in the end it is the players execution that wins the games, it is
just easier to blame the coach as a whole.

I am going to give you one example of why I like him. There are many reasons, but I am just going to give you one example.

Last year, Week 15, in Tennessee. The Titans were running over the Dolphins and had a 24-6 lead with less then 9 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Just imagine to past coaches like Jimmy Johnson, Dave Wannstedt, Nick Saban and Cam Cameron. With that score, that late in the game, you were better off turning the TV off or leaving the stadium. The game was over at that point.

Sparano on the other hand, kept his players motivated and had them believing they could come back. The result? The came back and tied the game at 24 and forced overtime. Granted they ending up losing the game, but it was obvious that coaching is why they were able to come back and not just continue to get blown out.

That is just one of many reasons.

This is a ridiculous post. Sparano has a winning record in his only 2 seasons as head coach. Better than Cam, better than Saban, better than Bates did as an interim coach. He took over a team that the previous year went 1 -15. Exactly what more do you want from him. The microwave society we live in is ridiculous if taking a horrible team over and making them into a playoff caliber team in a 2 year period is not enough, (and he did that instantly). Yeah, did the Fins take a step back last year, record wise yes but look what the Fins went through. Losing your starting QB, losing your Pro Bowl Running Back, losing your #1 CB and starting 2 rookies. Going through that and still going 7-9, too me that shows good coaching. How many other teams could lose those important pieces and still almost make the playoffs? Not many.

Its only ridiculous becuase its not your opinion. Do you really think if Sporano dropped dead (god forbid) and it was just Henning and Nolan that anything would change? Really?

Spelling really? So you have no argument.

Im with you actually, Ive never liked him. The windmill fistpumps after a fg are kind of embarrassing. To be perfectly honest, Im not filled with alot of confidence this regime is going to take the Phins where we want to go.

All we can do as fans is speculate on whether or not he is a good coach. We aren't there day in and day out to see the things he brings to the table, or the lack thereof. We can continue to call each other idiots or we can all admit we really don't know and just move on.

Why because he got lucky and made it too the playoffs after a 1-15 season? I would like you guys to actually quantify what makes him a good coach? Because in my opinion he adds nothing to this team. Completely ordinary. Now Dont start bashing me without making an argument. You can take shots at me only if you bring something to the table.

What has he done to make him a stand out coach?

:bobdole: :rolleyes2: :bobdole: Please season, start already.

get out of here with this b.s.

first of all he's leaps and bounds ahead of Cam Cameron or Wannstache or Saban, and has our team playing a winning brand of football w/ out the same talent some of these coaches had. I'd say if Sparano was coaching the teams in the early 00s we might've won a super bowl.

Sparano is a leader, he creates a winning mentality in our team.
Our team has a level of discipline it hasn't seen since Jimmy Johnson was on the sideline.
He does a great job of managing his talent, and making changes when necessary, our adjustments are almost always the right ones, and as the Trifecta continues to bring in their ideal talent they will work more often then not.

This is a classic case of biting the hand that feeds you, this regime has built a deep squad that should be dominant on both lines of scrimmage, with some of the best depth in the league. Our team is probably one of if not the biggest and strongest in the NFL, that's how you win championships, have the strength and depth to sustain a NFL season.

Sure we've gotten off to slow starts, but we get stronger as the season goes. I don't know if you guys remember, but starting fast out of the gates doesn't mean ****. Remember all the years we were midseason champions, and would fade down the stretch? I think coming on strong at the end is much better.

His energy on the sidelines is Cowher-esque, his players all respect him, and play their *** off for him, because they know if they don't, no matter how good they are they won't be playing.

I could go on, but I almost feel ridiculous having to make this post. I believe Sparano is a top 5 coach, and I think this season will validate my theory.

So stop bitching, making idiotic comments about a "lucky" 11-5 season, and staring a gift horse in the mouth

top 5 coach? you lost me there. he's not my cup of tea, and he certainly has his flaws. I want my HC to be able to outsmart, outcoach the opposition on Sunday. do you really see Sparano and Henning doing that? lets keep it real here.........

Its only ridiculous becuase its not your opinion. Do you really think if Sporano dropped dead (god forbid) and it was just Henning and Nolan that anything would change? Really?

No, it is ridiculous because it is ridiculous. You just cannot see it because of YOUR opinion. He took over a team that was 1-15, and improved that to 11-5. That shows good coaching, does it not? Then he took a team that lost their starting QB during week 3, lost their Pro Bowl Running Back and lost their #1 CB. Don't forget we had the most difficult schedule in the NFL last year, and went 7-9. What other team could do that? Could Dallas - No. Could the Saints lose Drew Brees, Pierre Thomas and say Darren Sharper and make the playoffs? No. How would have the Colts done with that same situation. Take some of your own advice and give some reasons why he is not that good of a coach!

look its very simple.

tony sparano inherited a 1-15 team and not a very talented team to say the least. He came in here and brought new life to this team and turned our team from laughing stock of the league, back to somewhat respectability as our proud miami dolphins franchise should be.

now, does he make us fans during games shake our heads with some of his game clock managing? yes he does that sometimes and i am as pissed as anyone like for example what he did vs the saints calling a timeout before the half, or when he went for 2 last year vs the jets which made no sense.

but the bottom line is this. coaches can only do so much. they do not play in the game, they cant catch passes, make tackles, break runs, score tds, etc. The only thing they can do is coach the team and try to motivate the players and get the best out of them. this is exactly what he does.

our players enjoy playing for him. they go out every game and give it there all for this guy. thats the kind of coach u want coaching your team. hes always inspiring players to do there best, and is always fired up on the sidelines making sure the players never fall asleep during the game or get lazy.

so with that being said, there is room for improvement, and this year will be a huge year for tony and co. if we fail this year and finish under 500 again, then id be alittle concerned. but all u can want from a coach is that he is liked by all the players and they put there best game out there week in and week out for the coach, and that is what our players do for tony.

i say give him this year again before going insane over him. room for improvement, no doubt, but like the enthusiasim, and the players love the guy to.

Why because he got lucky and made it too the playoffs after a 1-15 season? I would like you guys to actually quantify what makes him a good coach? Because in my opinion he adds nothing to this team. Completely ordinary. Now Dont start bashing me without making an argument. You can take shots at me only if you bring something to the table.

What has he done to make him a stand out coach?

Better question, why do you continuesly make threads bashing him only when things are a bit rough? I don't recall seeing these threads when we won the division. I don't recall you kicking this already much dead horse when he lost coach of the year by a mere vote.
This team is days and nights more disciplined then it was with the previous regimes. Despite our brutal schedule, injuries to our most important positions, and relying on a first year starting QB(who was what, 24 years old?) we had among the highest offensive play execution in the league(4th, behind only the Vikings, Saints, and Patriots, not a bad crowd to be in). Everyone of our games(save for the Falcons, which so far have been very strange games) last season we were in it to the very bitter end, often coming back in the fourth quarter. And, despite the preseason we are often one of the least penalized teams in the league. All of that is what Tony Sparano has brought to this football team.

Lets look at how green the grass has been elsewhere in our recent history.
Nick Saban went 4-8 in the division in a very subpar 2 seasons, before lieing to his players(and fans, and owner) and bolting for a paycheck and easier 'challenge'.
Dave Wannstedt quit halfway through a season after successfully ripping apart our franchise(including but not limited to alienating our best player, passing on potential franchise QB, wasting an absurd amount of draft picks, looking the other way to conventional logic such as "Boldin can be a good player", etc).
And Cam Cameron successfully aquired the mess the others left, and for giggles, continued to rip apart the team by playing favoritism towards horribly draft projects and players, all the while making a historic black mark on this franchise.

But wait, lets go after the guy who turned the team around! Brilliant! You make vague assumptions towards Sparano while proving absolutely no evidence yourself then you turn around and say "you cant bash me unless you have an argument!". Whats the other side of the dead horse? "Ugh, he cheers on the sidelines!" or "oh, he uses timeouts!".

Ill take the "ordinary" coach with the 8-4 divisional record, earned a playoff berth despite inheriting the worst mess in the league, kept us in the playoff running to the last week of the season despite ALOT of adversity, and the guy who will cut players/coaches if they aren't doing there job with no hesitation. Oh, and he backs up his players and takes responsibility for the way the team plays, where others have thrown people under the bus to save there own ***.

So, other then what we have not done during preseason and other then (god forbid!) showing emotion and using timeouts(OH THE HUMANITY) what has he not done to satisfy your absurd and delusional expectations for a team 2 seasons removed from the 1st pick in the draft? Please, im on the edge of my seat.

Edit: btw, perfered it when you were kicking this horse about Sparano(even more amusing is that he did in fact do what you wanted, fixed up the coaching staff, but then again he could never do enough unless he quits):
http://www.finheaven.com/forums/sho...s-urgent-message!&p=1063224865#post1063224865

top 5 coach? you lost me there. he's not my cup of tea, and he certainly has his flaws. I want my HC to be able to outsmart, outcoach the opposition on Sunday. do you really see Sparano and Henning doing that? lets keep it real here.........

Yes that does happen very frequently, that's how we win most of the time *******, when we had less talent we outsmarted and outworked teams. Do you understand the game of football or do you just like the bright colors?

Yes that does happen very frequently, that's how we win most of the time *******, when we had less talent we outsmarted and outworked teams. Do you understand the game of football or do you just like the bright colors?

wow. wrong guy to try this bs with my friend. ya, I understand the game of football. the Phins barely scraped by alot of BAD teams that year. Did we outsmart Indy and NO last year? The players sure as hell outplayed them.

Back
Top Bottom