Why it isnt Miller time! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why it isnt Miller time!

uk_dolfan

Proud Tua Cultist
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Firstly- Yes Yes I KNOW! Miller played college football in Miami, but lets put that aside.

People keep asking why he isnt getting snaps? People ask this a lot. Many of those same people argue that pass protection from a running back isnt important- I disagree.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2012/10...olphins-ryan-tannehill-touchdown-marlon-moore

Read this excellent article. If Miller had been in on that play instead of Reggie then that wasn't a TD. I know Miller has a lot of potential but he just isnt ready for the NFL yet. Have patience.

Firstly- Yes Yes I KNOW! Miller played college football in Miami, but lets put that aside.

People keep asking why he isnt getting snaps? People ask this a lot. Many of those same people argue that pass protection from a running back isnt important- I disagree.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2012/10...olphins-ryan-tannehill-touchdown-marlon-moore

Read this excellent article. If Miller had been in on that play instead of Reggie then that wasn't a TD. I know Miller has a lot of potential but he just isnt ready for the NFL yet. Have patience.

Hard to argue with a Great post. I would add that, overall, we had 20+ less plays on O, which had bearing on Miller not playing, according to Sherman.

He needs to get stronger in the offseason. Hopefully he and Reggie do some work together.

As long as Reggie doesn't try to teach Miller how to block. Bush was ranked the third worst blocking RB, over the past 3 years, in the NFL.

True that but let's be honest, we need to draft an athletic guard in the second round. Incognito and that other fat guy is mediocre.

From everything Ive heard Miller is actually pretty good at pass blocking. Its getting his assignments right thats the problem. So its impossble to say that TD pass wouldnt have taken place because theres a good chance Miller wouldve made just as good if not better block than Reggie on that and Im guessing MOST of the time he gets his assignment right. Its that 1-2 times he doesnt that causing Tannehll to get hit that they're worried about. Miller is actually a better pass blocker than Bush, again assuming he knows who to pick up. But I think the whole Miller cant pass block is just somethign fans who dont know any better have run with. Im not saying the coaches arent worried about him not knowing his assignments on a blitz all the time but coaching staffs dont always make the right decisions. See Cameron Wake backing up Joey Porter when it was obvious as day Wake was the far superior player at the time. See Thomas getting carries on 1st down over Miller. You can eliminate these missed assignments by getting Miller in on 1st down and either running with him or having him chip a DE and then go out for a pass pattern or a screen. Bottomline: Miller should get more carries than Thomas.

True that but let's be honest, we need to draft an athletic guard in the second round. Incognito and that other fat guy is mediocre.

You dont need to waste that high of a pick on a freaking guard. Unless he's a day 1 top of the line caliber Guard you can wait and pick up a good guard prospect with one of our two 3rd round picks or even our 4th/5th rounder. No need to use a pick on a Guard when this team badly needs playmakers at WR and in the secondary. Those guys are much tougher to find outside the 2nd round than a guard. It doesnt matter how good our o line is as long as we continue to lack playmakers in the passing game our running game is going to be stalled because teams are going to stack the box. And you score points in this league through the air, not the ground. Look at Seatlle, they can run it with the best of em but their passing game is so bad they cant score points.

Nice logic you got there, we're going to draft a bunch of receivers and tight ends on the first 3 rounds with five picks? When you have that many picks in the first 3 rounds you need a balance, because if you don't balance it you will end up drafting someone in the second or third round and end up releasing them after a single preseason due to carrying too much of the same position.

We need a guard, and if we can find a good one in the second or third round they should draft him.

Nice logic you got there, we're going to draft a bunch of receivers and tight ends on the first 3 rounds with five picks? When you have that many picks in the first 3 rounds you need a balance, because if you don't balance it you will end up drafting someone in the second or third round and end up releasing them after a single preseason due to carrying too much of the same position.

We need a guard, and if we can find a good one in the second or third round they should draft him.

Nice reading comprehension you got there. You must've missed the part where I said you could use one of our THIRD ROUND picks on a guard. Just no need to use a 1st or 2nd. I said WR and SECONDARY help. WR, CB, S is 3 picks which would put us into our third round picks. Or if you ignore the fact I didnt mention TE in my post either then you could go CB, WR, TE and get a S and G in the 3rd round. We could also use LB help. Dansby and Burnett arent getting any younger. As well as a pass-rusher. We dont have the luxury of taking a freaking G in the 2nd round.

Miller isn't playing for the same reason Egnew isn't. Neither can block up to snuff. Tannehill audibles ALOT an amazing amount for a rookie and if Philbin is going to him that much of a free hand he knows he can only have personnel on the field that can stay in and block or bump and run. Tanne gets blitzed alot and he cannot have guys on the line or in the backfield who don't have to ability to adjust the protection scheme on the fly

From everything Ive heard Miller is actually pretty good at pass blocking. Its getting his assignments right thats the problem. So its impossble to say that TD pass wouldnt have taken place because theres a good chance Miller wouldve made just as good if not better block than Reggie on that and Im guessing MOST of the time he gets his assignment right. Its that 1-2 times he doesnt that causing Tannehll to get hit that they're worried about. Miller is actually a better pass blocker than Bush, again assuming he knows who to pick up. But I think the whole Miller cant pass block is just somethign fans who dont know any better have run with. Im not saying the coaches arent worried about him not knowing his assignments on a blitz all the time but coaching staffs dont always make the right decisions. See Cameron Wake backing up Joey Porter when it was obvious as day Wake was the far superior player at the time. See Thomas getting carries on 1st down over Miller. You can eliminate these missed assignments by getting Miller in on 1st down and either running with him or having him chip a DE and then go out for a pass pattern or a screen. Bottomline: Miller should get more carries than Thomas.

When people say he can't block, they aren't saying he can't handle it physically. They mean exactly what you are saying his shortcoming is. That he will miss some of his blocking assignments. Nobody thinks he can't handle the physical side of it. He missed assignments with the Canes too. He just needs a little more time learning the offense. The Canes brought him along slowly as well.

look at New Orleans OL the year they won the Super Bowl. Not a single one of them were drafted before the 3rd round. Carl Nicks, that OG that everyone wanted us to sign in FA was a 4th rounder. Playmakers win games, not lineman

Back
Top Bottom