Why McMillan was playing special teams, from Gase

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Always Next Year, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Always Next Year

Always Next Year Starter

2. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator

“Because he was going to play it this year,” Gase said. “How many snaps at nickel are we going to play this year? We’re going to play 600-plus. We’re going to play 300 snaps at base, probably. He was going to play base. You’ve only got 46 guys on the roster that are going to play (on game day), so somebody has got to play it. We’re not just going to trot out eight guys because you can’t play any starters.”

VBCheeseGrater and fishfanmiami like this.
  3. AZStryker

AZStryker Pro Bowler

I can see Gase's point about McMillian playing special teams during the regular season. However the question still remains why was he doing it during the preseason? Furthermore how many punts did Antonio brown field last preseason? Anyway, Some might say he was out there for practice, well then what is he doing during actual practice? How much practice does one actually need to run down and cover kicks anyway? No the truth was that he didn't need to be out there with 75 guys on the roster. Gase can sugar coat it however he wants but It was an unnecessary risk that back fired...big time.

4. Fin Fan in Cali

Bro he has to get game time action. You just don't get that at the rookie symposium in a bag to take home.

5. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

So you want him thrown into special teams week 1 without any preseason snaps? Bad move

texs and Fin Fan in Cali like this.
  6. AZStryker

AZStryker Pro Bowler

I agree and if he was hurt playing base defense few would have complaints. It's the fact that he was covering kicks in the first preseason game which isn't really the game action he needs.

7. AZStryker

AZStryker Pro Bowler

That isn't as bad as you're making it out to be. It's stay in your lane, read and react. Not exactly and daunting as diagnosing a formation or a play

8. ohall

ohall A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

So if this was the 1st regular season game and McMillan got hurt this would make it more bearable?

I don't understand why ppl think not playing players during the pre-season is a course of action that would or could somehow prevent injuries.

Beach Bum 91, artdnj and Anvil35 like this.
  9. Fin Fan in Cali

He is a rookie and new to the NFL he needs to get reps with his team mates, get used to the speed of the game. You can only suit up so many players on game day. If he doesn't play and gain valuable experience how is he to succeed when he is playing special teams and not allowing the opposing teams to run back for touchdowns?

russst, texs and fishfanmiami like this.
  10. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Yep base only lbs play specials. And this is dumb anyways. He got pushed/blocked into a ball pursuing lacy with his leg at a bad angle.

It happens. rotten luck no doubt

ANUFan and fishfanmiami like this.
  11. ohall

And if it happened during the 2nd, 3rd or 4th pre-season game that would make it more logical? Honestly just exactly what are you saying? Don't play a 1st year rookie during the pre-season at all?

Coolguy3 and ANUFan like this.
  12. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

I think if you're going to play special teams in regular season it makes sense to play them some in preseason too. I just right it off by saying if McMillian didn't injure the knee on that play he would have likely injured it the first time he took a similar blow and that could have happened in this game or later/ on special teams or in the base defense. I'm sure if Tannehill had injured his knee during the game instead of during practice people would be saying it was because the coaching staff had him playing a few series in a meaningless preseason game, when the truth is Tannehill's knee was primed to be re-injured regardless.

13. AZStryker

AZStryker Pro Bowler

I guess I just disagree with playing your starting MLB on kick coverage. I don't remember seeing Zach do that. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just seems like a risky move at a very thin position. If anything throw hull and Hewitt out there.

14. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

It's football. **** happens. Rookie LB's play on special teams. Always have regardless of what round they were drafted in.

It's a shame for the kid but that's the breaks. Next man up.

15. JJM_7

JJM_7 A True Fan

Makes sense.

I must confess I was upset with Gase on Thursday because of this, but I think it was just my frustration over the unfortunate injury bug that's been plaguing us this preseason.

Losing Ryan and a week later losing Raekwon simply sucks.

coalesce, Albert Romano and AZStryker like this.
  16. AZStryker

AZStryker Pro Bowler

I guess I'm a little behind you on getting over this but I agree that the loss of Tannehill and McMillan in a week is fueling my blame game. Injuries happen time to move forward I suppose.

JJM_7 and texs like this.
  17. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

The worry warts are annoying Gase.

Fin Fan in Cali likes this.
  18. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I would have been more upset about Raekwon if we hadn't lost our qb and our season the week prior. In terms of its ceiling potential.

19. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

I remember seeing a quote that Zach was drafted specifically to play special teams.

20. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Because he's a darn FB player?

21. russdoe

russdoe Rookie

It seems people prefer the philbin era where rookies don't play all year long, don't gain experience and improve. It is obvious Gase and the staff can develop players. I agree with In Gase I Trust. In a short amount of time he has done wonders for this team.

dolfan_101 likes this.
  22. TarHeelFinFan

TarHeelFinFan Goodness Gracious Great Balls of Fire

Because you don't want him playing in real games without practicing in game-like situations. Special teams matter. A lot. The preseason doesn't in terms of W/L, but it does in terms of the reps and muscle memory.

23. TarHeelFinFan

TarHeelFinFan Goodness Gracious Great Balls of Fire

ZT absolutely did play special teams early in his career.

coalesce likes this.
  24. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

I'm sure this is in the category of "I can't believe I have to actually explain this" category for Gase.

25. Snoop

Snoop Well-Known Member

So technically we can blame the questionable Timmons contract for McMillan being out there on special teams which ultimately led to him getting hurt.

And why would he be a lock to be out there in nickel over Raekwon anyway? He can't cover anymore.

Fin Fan in Cali likes this.
  26. coalesce

coalesce Dolphin Fan since 1974

Show of hands: how many people were up in arms when Shula had one of the Blackwood brothers or Jake Scott catching punts on special teams? Does that make Shula stupid?

27. Brumdog45

Brumdog45 A True Fan

If he got hurt at practice, there would probably be people complaining about us playing starters meaningless practice snaps.

28. ohall

For me I guess I don't devalue special teams like some do. Whether a player plays offense, defense or special teams IMO it's all the same and all 3 phases of the game are important. The way I see it is he got hurt playing special teams as a starter on special teams. I wouldn't feel better if he got hurt playing as a starter on defense.

Beach Bum 91 likes this.
  29. dahlmarino

dahlmarino Hating The Jets With A Passion Since '84

I blame the Patriots.

biggrouper likes this.
  30. mrhankey81701

mrhankey81701 A True Fan

He was playing special teams because he is a rookie and that is what rookies do. The fact he tore his acl on the first play leads me to believe it was just a matter of time before he got hurt. Hopefully he comes back stronger next year and ready to contribute. The good news is he is young, not even old enough to drink, so he should easily be able to bounce back from this, and be a long term contributor.

fishfanmiami likes this.
  31. dolphinlifer

dolphinlifer Well-Known Member

Gase didn't play rookies either last year, had hull and hewiit getting almost no snaps even when our starting lbs were out, and the vets he put in were terrible, was the perfect chance to play them most of the year and he almost refused to, very Philbin like.

32. FanMarino

FanMarino HOF Pass Master

It was bad luck but I'm not sold on having starters playing STs. Especially a player at at a position where the depth isn't great.

AZStryker likes this.
  33. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

What Gase says about the nickel and the base defense is true. We're all conditioned to thinking that base defense is starting defense but that hasn't been the case for some time in the NFL. Nickel is your base defense, nickelback is a genuine position, and your other base linebacker (depending on if 3-4 or 4-3 base) is really a package player.

34. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

Neither Hewett nor Hull were rookies last year. Hewett and Hull were core special team players. If you watched both players last season, especially Hewett, you would have noticed he was slow at times to diagnose plays and was just as much a liability as everyone else.
    BTW, Hewett played almost as many defensive snaps (352) as Jelani Jenkins (371), Donald Butler (355) and more snaps then Spencer Paysinger (333). Add in the 355 snaps Hewett played on special teams and you can see he was a busy boy.

Suh was in on 83 special teams snap.

dolfan_101 likes this.
  35. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek

Where's the line for making each other feel better about a no gain decision? Never mind ... found it.

36. dolphinlifer

dolphinlifer Well-Known Member

You know what I meant, they were basically rookies, got almost not pt their first year and that was the perfect opportunity to play them. All those other guys that got equal snaps as hewitt played terrible. Don't give young talent the chance to prove their potential when their basically the only ones left on the roster and it shows you got no trust in rookies, not only that but it hurts the teams future. Sacrifcing the future for what might be a 10% improvement in some plays and a -50% decrease in potential on others is terrible coaching. No way Hull and Hewitt shouldn't have been starting all last year after the starters went down, better for Hull to diagnose some plays slower when he has the chance then never learn to and kill his potential, there was no drop off from Hull and Hewitt and the crap gase replaced them with, that's for sure.

37. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

Hewett had almost as many defensive snaps (341) as a rookie under Philbin/Coyle as he did last year under Gase/Joseph. If Hewett and Hull was not such a liability against the pass, they may have played more. No one sacrificed the team's future by not playing either player. One was slow to diagnose and the other was just slow. Donald Butler was the only healthy LB who played before Hewett and Hull and he was eventually benched because he was undisciplined. The Dolphins played a lot of nickel defense last season so they usually used two LBs and Hewett and Hull was not one of them because of their liability against the pass. That and injuries was the reason we only had one LB play more than 400 snaps last season.

38. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater Optimist Homer Finheaven VIP

I'm surprised he even bothered explaining himself.

I did the roster math problem for fun, open to corrections.....

46 on the game day roster....
    minus 24 "starters" (counting nickle corner and 3rd WR (stills) lets say, could easily add more) = 22 guys left.
    Take away another for kicker or punter (one is always on the field), so 21,
    Takeout all the backup D/O linemen who don't traditionally play on kickoffs and punts, so at least 8 more gone - down to 13,
    at least 1 more QB gone = 12

....leaves MAX 12 non-starting players left available, one of which is the kicker/punter - 11 on kickoffs, long snapper can't play - so now it's just "throw whoever's left out there" at this point

I hear the argument "well we have 70+ players in preseason" but i do think if a player is going to play special teams on game day, he needs some reps in live action.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Geforce likes this.