Why Miami doesn't make the playoffs in 2017 - CBS Sports

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DuderinoN703, Jul 14, 2017.

1. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/h...ort-of-returning-to-the-nfl-playoffs-in-2017/

2. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

That guy sure used alot of Ifs and maybes, quality reporting there CBS.

NCFINZFAN likes this.
  3. ChrisTRD

ChrisTRD A True Fan

Yeah and last seasons schedule was supposed to be ****in hell when it came out...

miami365, Pandarilla and Goin` Deep like this.
  4. daryl

daryl Well-Known Member

These predictions don't adjust for injuries, but adjust for "luck" in close games. Even though injuries are based on luck just as much as last second victories. The main takeaway is that the MSM doesn't see an appreciable difference between a healthy Tannehill and Matt Moore.

5. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 Well-Known Member

They don't care. Nobody cares that we were missing half of our team when we played Pittsburgh, they just remember how we lost. The Dolphins just simply aren't a media darling, we are just a footnote in the almighty Patriot Dynasty. Not only are we getting all of these injured guys back, but we added a lot of talent too. The difference in talent between the team that took the field against Pittsburgh and the team that we will field week 1 is enormous, but people sleep on us simply because most people just don't care. I think we are going to shock the world this year with our team, Gase is going to harass the s*** out of NE until we inevitably surpass them with a better roster, imo of course.

6. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

Absolutely nothing wrong with that article, he gave reasons why the Phins will make the playoffs and reasons why they won't. Those reasons why we won't make the playoffs are legitimate. Yes he did not take injuries into consideration.....fair enough, but don't dismiss what he said at least on this particular article. Those final six games for the Phins are going to be brutal, our season will be decide this year at the end of the season. ( do we play particularly well in cold weather?) Finally, a note on injuries.....imagine an injury to Jarvis Laundry, that changes the whole dynamic of this team.

Fin Thirteen likes this.
  7. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

And now they say Miami feasted on a last place schedule lol

Pandarilla likes this.
  8. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Right, but let us not talk about the Dolphins winning those final few games...

- Without one of their best Defensive players in Jones.
    He will be back this coming season.

- No true talent next to Alonzo at LB
    (There will be better talent this time).

- No real real talent or consistency at TE
    (Miami will be far better at the position this year).

- Without Two Corners coming back from injures from different times in the year.
    Both are healthy again.

- Without a starting center that just happens to be one of the best
    Pouncey should be healthy again, but if not, at least better backups this time.

- Losing a starting QB in the final few games that was getting hot
    Looking 100% so far, with a chip on his shoulders.

- As well as losing Jones, there no other safety, so Miami had no real talent at either safety position.
    Along with Jones being back, Miami will have an OK 2nd Safety for the first 8 weeks, then will have real competition for the final 8 weeks.

*Also, the Bills, Rams, Jets, Cardinals were all talented defenses, where the offense did enough to win. If Miami defense with all it's new or returning faces play better, this team will not be a pushover at the end of the season. Finally Parker is looking like the player people thought he would be, if that happens, then CBS does not have a clue what is about to happen this coming year on offense.

9. Ray R

Ray R Active Member

Are these folks using the same methods they used in predicting the last presidential election? It would explain a lot.

DolphinDevil28 and fins1 like this.
  10. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Interestingly, Miami plays 4 of the 5 teams he predicts as candidates to make the playoffs, who didn't last season- Carolina, TB, Tenn and the Chargers.

11. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

Meh, pretty banal article. His point about eeking out 7 wins last year is valid, but it doesn't begin to tell you the whole story.

Skepticism is the NFL media's default go to ideology. And who could blame them. The NFL typically changes very little, year to year. Remember when the Chargers had LT and they seemingly took baby steps getting better every year until their window finally closed.

12. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

The schedule is tough but we have a lot more talent on the roster than we've had in decades. On top of last year's team we get Reshad Jones and Mike Pouncey back (as well as Tannehill who we missed towards the end of the year). Our biggest problem was stopping the run and we target recruit an experienced linebacker in Lawrence Timmons and a tough D-lineman in William Hayes, who is good at setting the edge. On top of that we trade for a skilled TE in Julius Thomas who wanted to reunite with Gase, who knows how to use him. We also appear to have drafted well in each of the past 2 years. We have a very dangerous young RB in Jay Ajayi, who looks like he will only get better. The Miami Dolphins are a team on the rise and a lot of the so-called media experts can't see it. Adam Gase knows precisely what he is doing.
    Apart from the tough schedule and the perennial presence of the Patriots, where are all the big problems that experts who envisage doom and gloom? I just don't see it.

13. Sherif

Sherif Pro Bowler

There's no telling about the schedule. On average 50% of playoff teams don't return to the playoffs. We're in that category just like everyone else except the Patriots:wall

14. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

If Miamis young guys step up, not all of them of course, but more importantly Howard, Parker and to a lesser degree McMillian, and become good to great players then this team will win a lot of games.

Having a true Alpha helps the running game, RT, Landry, Stills and add in a potential seam threat which more than likely won't blossom but with all that it's possible then this offense will be great, yes great.

Adding a legit #1 corner who plays the run like Vontae Davis did and covers well will only bolster our D. Getting Jones back is huge for run and pass defense and on top of it we get our enforcer back. Also adding a Lb with instincts that can play Mike from day one should be a benefit.

This team will surprise a lot of people.

15. CSONKA1966

CSONKA1966 Well-Known Member

I like our team, w/o major injury bug we should make the playoffs and then any team has a chance

16. royalshank

royalshank Practice Squad All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

Someone tell this guy even Nostrodamas was wrong a lot. And was "elite". This guy ain't.

17. FinFaninColorado

FinFaninColorado New Member

CBS, NBC, ABC = FAKE NEWS All Trump and Fin haters

18. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Hammered Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

[​IMG]

Pandarilla likes this.
  19. Marino1313

Marino1313 Scout Team

1. Don't let this distract you from the the fact that in 1966, Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, Bubba "Spare Tire" Dixon.

Pandarilla and GothicPhin like this.
  20. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

The bottom line is you really can't predict any of this crap without knowing which players are healthy and which ones are hurt. The longer I watch football the more I realize this. I's a game of attrition and actually quite amazing what we were able to accomplish with all of the special teamers we had on defense at the end of last year. To put it in perspective Picture NE without:

Brady - we lost our starting QB
    Gronk - we lost our starting TE
    Chung - we lost our starting SS
    McCourty - we lost our starting FS
    Butler - we lost our #1 CB
    Starting SLB - we lost our starting SLB
    Starting WLB - we lost our starting WLB
    and Hightower playing with a club on his hand

Not so scary is it? People on the team for losing that playoff game are idiots, it would have been a miracle had we won anything more.

tay0365 likes this.
  21. psfign

psfign A True Fan

I feel like those counting on Pouncy are going to be let down. Again.

22. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

At this point in the offseason, you can make good arguments for Miami making the playoffs and not making the playoffs.

The fact that the team made it last year with so many injuries, though, speaks volumes. The team likely won't have as many injuries, the odds certainly are in Miami's favor there.

I tend to look at the last 11 games last year when the team got comfortable in Adam Gase's offense and went 9-2. It wasn't always pretty, but the team found ways to win.

It could go either way, but I think the team absolutely has to get off to a fast start to have a chance.

23. KTDolphins

KTDolphins You have made me angry very angry indeed

This is just all speculation until the first few games have been played and we know where teams stand. I like the doubt, so when we crush teams that eyebrow goes through the roof.

24. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

My struggle with some Fin fans is inconsistency in the injury concern. They list (correctly) players with an injury hx and exhibit serious hand-wringing over the concern of losing so many starters, . . . yet, seem to assume the other 31 teams will experience NO injuries. Unrealistic. Either ignore Miami's potential injuries or dock other teams for players with injury hxs. Even the playing field.

That said, I agree on games 6 > 14. I saw a lot to like. And, I agree, can't afford a 2-3 start. Personally, I expect the run D to be much better. Hoping I'm right.

SF Dolphin Fan and Sons Of Shula like this.
  25. Greer17

Greer17 Well-Known Member

This guy claims that moving Tunsil to LT is going to affect the continuity of the line. Did he not realize that Albert was out for 4 games last season and left many other games injured last season. Tunsil played nearly half of the games at LT last season so we will actually be building on the continuity from the end of the season.

26. DolphinDevil28

DolphinDevil28 I like boobs. Finheaven VIP Donator

That's a worst case scenario analysis. Basically if all of this goes wrong, they'll miss the playoffs.

Thanks for that. I mean why don't you just print, "If Ryan Tannehill's head fell off, he'll probably regress this season."

27. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

One of the things I liked about this offseason was the front office's concentration on adding players without an injury history. Those guys who are always on the field like Timmons.

Of course, we all know that injuries are unpredictable but Miami has consistently drafted players with an injury history pretty high. Should it then be a surprise that so many players are injured?