Why Miami should NOT resign any of their free agents | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Miami should NOT resign any of their free agents

fisi

Active Roster
Reaction score
Most teams talkendlessly about the importance of re-signing their own players. The Dolphinsshould take the exact opposite approach. Why? Look, the past four years, Miamihas had changes in Offensive as well as defensive coordinators. They’ve had 3head coaches, the results are the same-three straight losing seasons. Changeshave to be complete, cosmetic changes will only yield same result. Take a lookat Miami’s free agents list and you will see why these players are not going tohelp you beat the New England Patriots or get you into the playoffs. These players are mediocre at best. Now I askyou, do you want to rebuild around mediocrity? Do you really want to resignFasano and Jake? Really?
I will be thefirst to admit one or two of these players deserve to be resigned or rewardedwith a new contract solely based on their last year’s performance. However threequestions must be answered: One, have they reached their potentials? Two, arethere upgrades? Three, are there replacements? Take Randy Starks for example,the guy is an amazing player but he has reached his potential and there is aperfect replacement-Odrick. Ditto for Bush! My problem with Sean Smith isthree-fold. If he’s not getting burned he is missing assignments or gettingflagged for PI.
Under the new CBA,I believe Miami MUST spend a good portion of their cap space, around 90%. Withmore than $45 million in cap space if Miami is going to spend the big-bucks infree agency, they most likely will be on young players. Maintaining a healthy salary cap from one yearto another is critical for any team, and especially one with a long-term planof rebuilding. One bad contract could hamper the team for years to come.
With the mockdrafts and 2013 NFL draft rumors flying, it is very important to remember the FAclass as well. While the draft is still the best way to build a team, FA is thebest way to upgrade and plug holes. Free agency is where you find battle-testedplayers. No team in the NFL this year is more opportune to change the course oftheir team’s history than the Miami Dolphins. The 2013 NFL draft as well as theFree Agents class is very dolphins-friendly. The caveat is Jeff Ireland.

I can see where you're coming from brother but all of them is a bit extreme imagine if cam wake was a free agent lets not re-sign him because we'e had loosing season with him playing for us which means he's only medicore? a little extreme to say the least. Fasano, Long, Starks and Smith yes

I disagree. We already have many holes to file. This approach would deplete our thin lineup despite all the draft picks. Not every Dolphins player on our roster is a weak link or player. I think we choose wisely based on who we can acquire and hope the rest of the holes we fill in the draft.

Resign Sean Smith. Good corners are hard to find. This season Sean improved significantly. Don't let him walk.

There is a very valid argument that we are forced to give our average free agents(our players) higher then market value to keep from creating new needs

I can understand ultimately if you let Starks or Clemmons walk because then it would be replacing through the draft (I dont care what anyone says, if a great DT falls to #12, we are taking them).

But the holes on this team are currently at S, TE, WR.

I absolutely will miss Brian Hartline if he is not signed. He has just become too valuable and he can be a great #2 or 3 which would mean our offense is stellar. There are just guys who deserve to be resigned on their production.

Fasano is another one where if he is gone, you might have to double up and if one is via FA, then that TE will have to adapt to this system and I just dont think Philbin wants to deal with that crap.

Alot of the reason behind signing the likes of Bush, Fasano and Hartline are that they make great #2's so you get your number 1 via draft or FA and now you have not only upgraded starters but depth as well.

If there is an need and they and they are affordable you re-sign them and we have the need overall at most positions

It's going to be hard enough to plug the holes we have already. We don't need to let all our FAs go. Starks, Smith, and Fasano are too important. If a stud DT falls to #12, great, we don't really need Starks as much. But this secondary is weak enough as it is, we don't need to let our starting corner walk. And if Fasano walks, then we really only have Clay, who had a disappointing year and is more of a fullback than a TE. At this point, it's doubtful that Egnew is going to produce anything meaningful for us next year.

I also thing we need to bring back Bush, but I think he's brought back for about the same money, maybe even less. I see Philbin giving Lamar Miller more playing time next year.

I think phiblin has a lot to say in who comes and who goes this off season.
Including our draft picks .
We just may have the right person in place to guide ireland

Do i really want Smith, Fasano , Hartline, Bush, Clemons and Starks... er yes, yes I do.

So even bad teams don't have some good players? Good god, fisi you just keep cracking out terrible threads

Back
Top Bottom