Why not David Garrard? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why not David Garrard?

ClemsonDolphinS

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I live in Jacksonville but am a die hard Dolphin fan. That being said, I think that a trade for David Garrard would make sense. He is mobile and strong which would help out our O-Line, he is young and has some starting time under his belt. We could probably get him for a lot less than Brees or Culpepper.

Let me know what you think.

ClemsonDolphinS said:
I live in Jacksonville but am a die hard Dolphin fan. That being said, I think that a trade for David Garrard would make sense. He is mobile and strong which would help out our O-Line, he is young and has some starting time under his belt. We could probably get him for a lot less than Brees or Culpepper.

Let me know what you think.

hmm, thats not a bad idea. what year is he?

Why not? Does the name A.J. Feeley ring a bell to you? It's time to get a bona-fide starter, not another backup...

i think Miami is tired of trying the maybes and need a proven qb

i think we have tried taking other teams back-ups and making them our starter.. before... hasnt work..

lets take other teams starter (pro-bowl player) and make him our starter

not interested

Why not Garrard? Because the Jaguars won't deal him. Here's why:

1. He's got a very affordable contract. for reasons all his own, he signed a very reasonable 3 year deal with the Jags before last season, rather than test the market this year when he surely would have commanded much more.

2. The Jags have a good, but very fragile starter in Byron Leftwich.

3. The Jags are in decent cap shape, have a full complement of draft picks and don't have a ton of crying needs. With assured stability at QB, and a couple solid moves, that team could challenge for the AFC title this year.

The Jags wouldn't trade Garrard unless they got an insane offer in return. I seriously believe it would take a first round pick to get them to part with him, which, of course, is silly.

theFreak41 said:
Why not? Does the name A.J. Feeley ring a bell to you? It's time to get a bona-fide starter, not another backup...

Does the name Matt Hasselbeck ring a bell. I think he backed up somebody for a while... didn't he turn out to be pretty good.

Incidentally, I think Garrard is a quality starter. Right now, I believe he could start for a dozen NFL teams. If I thought the Jags would deal him, I'd be fine with that as a Plan B after Brees/Culpepper.

YoMamma said:
i think Miami is tired of trying the maybes and need a proven qb

this is the best and most accurate post in the thread.

Leftwich has been far from what was as expected from him at his draft slot. If Garrard was as capable as some think, he'd have an easier time making Leftwich ride the bench while he played and did all the things most of you talk of.

David Garrard from where........

ECU Pirates!!!!!! Thats right baby!!!!

ClemsonDolphinS said:
Does the name Matt Hasselbeck ring a bell. I think he backed up somebody for a while... didn't he turn out to be pretty good.

It's not how others have fared that's the problem, it's how we've fared.

It's time for the Dolphins to go out and get a proven player at the most important position in the game. What you're suggesting is that we settle for less. Why buy Grade D beef when you can get Grade A for a buck more?

Back
Top Bottom