Why not do a Jimmy Johnson draft this year.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by allsilverdreams, Nov 26, 2017.

1. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

Simple question.Why not do a Jimmy Johnson draft this year.trade down as many times as you can and build through the draft.we have way to many problems and we need more players than we have picks.
    Back off the FA this year.
    Build Build Build through the draft after we fire the clown in charge of the last few drafts.

Highzenga likes this.
  2. dirkey

dirkey FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Because we have an idiot in charge who will rather draft up and waste the pick. I'm not even trying to be sensationalist here, but Tannenbaum is all about the splashy move in my opinion.

artdnj likes this.
  3. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E12 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP

Because we don't have a Hershel Walker and we would not find a stupid trading partner like the Vikings. You are talking about a team who missed it's picks in drafts because of taking too much time.

We are probably the Vikings on the end of any of those trades or pull a Ditka deal (Ricky Williams).

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  4. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

And we dont recognize talent so 1 or 20 picks would probably equal 1 or 20 scout team players.

5. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

He built the Dolphins the same way, we didn't have a Hershel Walker then.

Highzenga likes this.
  6. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

I been asking this questions for eons, why is Jimmy so good at trading down and picking up talent? Can't Gase do the same thing?

7. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

If Ross had half a brain he would throw Tannenbaum out the damn door and Grier right along with him. Bring some people in who know what the hell they're doing.

Snoop likes this.
  8. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E12 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP

He built what with the Dolphins? He was cap strapped from the last Shula year throughout his tenure. He was never able to transform the offense to what he wanted it to be.
    I am all for trading down. We have to many holes to fill. But to do make a significant trade for picks you either have to have the picks or the players to trade. And you have to have the willing trading partners.

You also have to consider that we have only 40 players under contract for next year.

9. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

It can be a winning philosophy. Jimmy Johnson had success with that as well as some misses --- trading out of round one and missing out on Randy Moss comes to mind.

Miami is trending toward a top 10 pick so it's possible they could have an elite prospect, maybe a true shutdown corner or a difference maker on the defensive line. I think it just depends who is there and what you can get with a trade down.

10. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

I have been hoping for a long time we would do this also but you need a great horse trader to get it done. The Pats have done very well and I believe Bill B learned some of his moves from JJ

11. Highzenga

Highzenga Well-Known Member

IMO we need stars to compliment our current players. The jj method is great if you’re completely rebuilding. We already didn’t trade Landry. Can’t trade suh. You want trade tannehill for a 2nd?

12. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Sure is working for the Browns.

13. Highzenga

The browns results aren’t there yet, but they have some pieces and a boat load of picks coming up.

miamiron likes this.
  14. Gonzo

And the biggest piece is the one they didn't trade away from.

People call for trading down every year (though usually not this early). I honestly believe it has more to do with hearing the Phins pick on draft days and the false belief that you can land equally good talent in any round. Trade downs are fine the day of when they are purposeful and you see that your draft grades don't fall much in the moment. And when you don't have Tbum making the picks.

15. Highzenga

Smh I just don’t get the tannenbaum hate on this site. Its beyond delusional

16. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Our front office can't scout or draft effectively so I doubt it matters how many picks we have

17. Gonzo

I think it stems from the fact that he's a ****ty GM who hands out ****ty contracts to cast off veterans while drafting a barrel full of mediocrity (at best), but I can't speak for everybody on the site.

18. mfish41

mfish41 It is what it is Donator

They don't have anything. That whole organization is trash from top to bottom; they have a Myles Garrett and a dumpster fire. Selling your fans on "picks and money" only last one offseason, they're about to be on year 3.

19. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

If I'm building a team from the ground up I'll take the Browns
    situation next season with 7 picks in the top 100 and another
    6 more picks plus the $100 million + in cap space

20. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

The Browns have missed on a lot of picks, but Ogbah is perhaps the most underrated DE in the NFL; Njoku will be a stud; Peppers will be a stud if they stop playing him at FS; and, C. Coleman will be a stud if he can stay healthy/play with a decent QB.

They need more help at the 2nd and 3rd levels on D, and they need more help at WR and (potentially) OL and RB. But, they really need Kizer to step up, or they need to find a new QB. Could have had Garrett and Watson, and that has to sting.

21. mfish41

mfish41 It is what it is Donator

Could of had Carson Wentz too the year before. Talking about "chips" and "pieces" is usually an indication youre spinning your wheels. Ireland wasted two seasons gathering acorns and picks to set up his giant 2013 offseason and we have nothing to show for it. It should take 2 offseasons to build a competitive team even in the most dire scenarios with identifiable improvement along the way. The Browns are an absolute dumpster fire and i'd bet that's not changing anytime soon. Competitive and rebuilding do not need to be mutually exclusive and when they are treated as such all you get is a bunch of wasted seasons.

j-off-her-doll likes this.
  22. Phantom

Phantom Phantom Donator

Last time we traded down we gave up Earl Thomas, and took Odrick and Misi, that worked out well. For the Seahawks !!!

23. jbyrd850

jbyrd850 Rookie

The Browns will easily have a more talented roster than us by next year or the year after. Then look at our roster, look at our draft classes, we've gotten Landry recently and then a bunch of no body's. I can't think of one draft of ours out of the last 10 years that was actually a really good draft.