Why not Sage | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why not Sage

marinotoclayton

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
here is an articleI came across. and before we got Feeley I was asking myself why not Sage. Of course part of me still feels that way. But we gave too much for Feeley so its something that will have to hold until feeley takes his lumps.

Add a touch of Sage: The refrain coming into Dolphins camp  before the retirement of a certain running back  was, "Jay or A.J.?"

Some players think that tune, however, may soon change to "Why not Sage?"

Actually, observers already are asking questions about why Sage Rosenfels isn't being given a chance to join the starting quarterback competition between incumbent Jay Fiedler and A.J. Feeley, whom the Dolphins acquired for a second-round pick from Philadelphia.

With far fewer opportunities, Rosenfels has outplayed the other quarterbacks. After not getting a rep on the first day of camp, he threw touchdown passes on his first attempt during each of the next three days. Rosenfels didn't throw a TD on his first touch Wednesday, but he did hit fullback Doug Easlick in the numbers for a 15-yard gain.

"As far as I can tell, the only knock on me is a lack experience," said Rosenfels, who is in his third season with the Dolphins after Washington drafted him in 2000 out of Iowa State. "I don't have it yet."

Several Dolphins players have said they thinkRosenfels should get that chance.

"That's very difficult," coach Dave Wannstedt said about giving Rosenfels more action. "I had a long talk with Sage two days ago, just about keeping his mind prepared because he's not going to get as much (preparation) physically as everybody else. But you know what's going to happen in the pre-season games? In every one of our pre-season games he's going to be the guy in there in the fourth quarter who's going to have to win it for us. So he knows that he's going to get his opportunity to play. He's not getting as much practice time but he will play in the game as much as any of them. He's got to showcase what he can do."

I think, IMHO, that sages best chance is to be traded to another team to be a number two or to compete for a starting slot (best senario). I don't see him being any higher than three on this team. I do wish him the best though. I would like to see him get a shot.

Back
Top Bottom