Why Tannehill over Weeden or Cousins?! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Tannehill over Weeden or Cousins?!

MissMeth

Miss July
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what makes Tannehill a better prospect than Weeden or Cousins? I just dont see that much of a difference between them and I honestly do not think Tannehill is worth #8. Personally, I would like to trade down and pick up a couple more picks so we can stock up and then just get Weeden or Cousins later on. Outside of RG3 and Luck, I think we have nothing but maybes (in fact I guess even Luck and RG3 are maybes but at least they show a bit more).

Just wondering what specifics make you all want Tannehill so high?

IMO, the only QB prospects worth anything in this draft (other than Luck and RGIII) are Tannehill, Weeden and Russel Wilson (despite his size)

Cousins is a good backup, but limited as a starter. And the others aren't worth considering.

Unfortunately, we are in a tight spot. I don't believe Tannehill is worth the #8 pick, and Weeden is older, and both will be gone in the 1st round if the Dolphins pick another player at #8.

In a way it seems like the attributes that make him attractive also explain why he has so little experience. He was a WR, so he has mid-level college WR athletic ability and good size. He gives you , potentially, Tim Tebow's running skills with actual NFL QB-level throwing ability. From a strictly physical standpoint he's probably the most talented QB in the draft, but his body of work was extremely suspect and the sample size was pretty small. The question is, why did it take him so long to get the starting job? NFL gms can just close their eyes and just pretend that his terrible play in many games, especially in crunch time, was just caused by inexperience. If he can develop a good QB brain, and top-level poise (which I think is an intangible), then he could potentially be better than RG3 and Luck. It's a stretch, but with that kind of size, speed, and arm, stretches are often made.
Does that help, OP?

Simple. Weeden is ready to start day 1 and is a great fit for a WCO with his quick release and excellent accuracy and decision making. Tannehill has a ton of potential but limited experience. Cousins is skittish under pressure, and is not very effective unless he gets on a roll. He also is not good at adjusting to what defenses show him. Career back up at best.

Weeden is ready to start day one. I think he's the 3rd best QB in the draft. My dream scenario is Blackmon falling to us at 8 and then us trading up for Weeden.

Can someone tell me what makes Tannehill a better prospect than Weeden or Cousins? I just dont see that much of a difference between them and I honestly do not think Tannehill is worth #8. Personally, I would like to trade down and pick up a couple more picks so we can stock up and then just get Weeden or Cousins later on. Outside of RG3 and Luck, I think we have nothing but maybes (in fact I guess even Luck and RG3 are maybes but at least they show a bit more).

Just wondering what specifics make you all want Tannehill so high?

Because people have said hes a first round pick, thats why. Oh, and because we have his former coach on staff and people are comforted with a built in excuse(if we dont take him: its because of Sherman, if we do take him: its because of Sherman).

Me? Im completely numb on the idea. Im still annoyed that we passed on QB's last year in a better draft. Now we have to "settle" for two prospects with glaring negatives. Kinda damned if you do damned if you dont.

I think most people on here recognize that Weeden is the better prospect. Some just will never get over his age. Sadly for us, we are out of position in the draft to justify taking him(to high in the first, to low in the second), and despite what Ireland says he will not just "follow his board" and instead either reach for Tannehill or convince himself that Weeden isnt considered that talented of a prospect because of his age.

weeden has peaked and wouldnt be able to beat out moore. cousins isnt very good

Weeden is ready to start day one. I think he's the 3rd best QB in the draft. My dream scenario is Blackmon falling to us at 8 and then us trading up for Weeden.

I would crap my pants for a whole week if that happens

Tannehill V Weeden is all about age. If they were both 24 Weeden might go with the #2.
Tannehill V Cousins is about physical tools. Tannehil is more athletic and has a stronger arm.

weeden has peaked and wouldnt be able to beat out moore. cousins isnt very good

That's a fairly bold statement, to say someone has "peaked" when they haven't even joined the NFL is just wrong. So you're saying that two years from now Weeden won't be any better after learning and practicing in the NFL? Hard for me to get on board with that..

This age thing with Weeden is being way overblown.... Hypothetical: Weeden starts day one and is a solid franchise QB till he's 35 (7 Years). So just cause you aren't getting 10 years due to him being older coming into the league he's not worth a high pick? That's laughable.. If a GM/Coach feels Weeden is the one then they pick him for that reason.. What kind of arrogant coaches do you guys think are running around the league? "I'm not going to draft that guy high cause he could only give me 7 instead of 10" When franchise QBs are rare as hell you think coaches are projecting their team 10 years from now?

All i'm saying is I don't think teams are looking at his age as a negative. Unless it's a team that has Weeden and another qb "neck and neck" as far as talent. Then I could see them saying "Hey lets go with the younger guy then". Other than that.. it's a stupid point and he will be drafted where his TALENT puts him. Not his age...

That's a fairly bold statement, to say someone has "peaked" when they haven't even joined the NFL is just wrong. So you're saying that two years from now Weeden won't be any better after learning and practicing in the NFL? Hard for me to get on board with that..

This age thing with Weeden is being way overblown.... Hypothetical: Weeden starts day one and is a solid franchise QB till he's 35 (7 Years). So just cause you aren't getting 10 years due to him being older coming into the league he's not worth a high pick? That's laughable.. If a GM/Coach feels Weeden is the one then they pick him for that reason.. What kind of arrogant coaches do you guys think are running around the league? "I'm not going to draft that guy high cause he could only give me 7 instead of 10" When franchise QBs are rare as hell you think coaches are projecting their team 10 years from now?

All i'm saying is I don't think teams are looking at his age as a negative. Unless it's a team that has Weeden and another qb "neck and neck" as far as talent. Then I could see them saying "Hey lets go with the younger guy then". Other than that.. it's a stupid point and he will be drafted where his TALENT puts him. Not his age...

he wont be able to beat out moore. so why the hell invest in a qb that wont even be 30 untill he starts? have you watch anything but highlights? he doesnt fit this team. th browns would be perfect for him

All very helpful thank you.

I still am not comfortable taking Tannehill with #8. I am leaning more toward trading down a little for Fletcher Cox or Stephen Hill. If they are still there of course. Pick up Weeden in the 2nd and give him a chance. If he is that talented it is worth it.

Here's a take on why Cousins isn't such a hot prospect:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2012/futures-ugly-underside-mr-congeniality

An arm talent like Jay Cutler can make power throws with a high level of difficulty without good footwork, but a player like Cousins needs torque from his hips to generate good velocity. The main thing he needs to do is step into his release more consistently. Although Cousins told the media before his senior year that he worked on stepping into throws, there was no evidence that his offseason work translated to the playing field.

This is a bad sign, because as polished as Cousins’ image is, it’s not a leap to assume that he either worked on the wrong things or he didn’t work hard enough. His subpar footwork plagued him all year and will hold him back if he doesn’t address it early in his NFL career.

In a way it seems like the attributes that make him attractive also explain why he has so little experience. He was a WR, so he has mid-level college WR athletic ability and good size. He gives you , potentially, Tim Tebow's running skills with actual NFL QB-level throwing ability. From a strictly physical standpoint he's probably the most talented QB in the draft, but his body of work was extremely suspect and the sample size was pretty small. The question is, why did it take him so long to get the starting job? NFL gms can just close their eyes and just pretend that his terrible play in many games, especially in crunch time, was just caused by inexperience. If he can develop a good QB brain, and top-level poise (which I think is an intangible), then he could potentially be better than RG3 and Luck. It's a stretch, but with that kind of size, speed, and arm, stretches are often made.
Does that help, OP?

Tim Tebow's running skills? Are you serious?

RG3 does not have Tebow's running skills. RG3 is a Mike Vick kind of QB runner, very fast for a QB but he needs a gaping hole. Tim Tebow can run over people, not just around them.

Part of the reason that Tannehill is being hyped is the over hyping of all the 1st round picks. After the first day of the draft every station, newspapers, blog etc etc etc will repeat over and over and over the names of the players picked in the 1st round much like it was the only round. It always drives me crazy.

Reaching for Sanchez provides a cautionary tale when it comes to Tannehill, his experience level, his TD/Ints stats and relative inability to finish games. On the other hand Weeden beat Luck, RG3, Landry Jones and Foles, etc.

Back
Top Bottom