Why Tannehill over Weeden or Cousins?!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by MissMeth, Apr 23, 2012.

1. MissMeth

MissMeth Miss July

Can someone tell me what makes Tannehill a better prospect than Weeden or Cousins? I just dont see that much of a difference between them and I honestly do not think Tannehill is worth #8. Personally, I would like to trade down and pick up a couple more picks so we can stock up and then just get Weeden or Cousins later on. Outside of RG3 and Luck, I think we have nothing but maybes (in fact I guess even Luck and RG3 are maybes but at least they show a bit more).

Just wondering what specifics make you all want Tannehill so high?

2. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

IMO, the only QB prospects worth anything in this draft (other than Luck and RGIII) are Tannehill, Weeden and Russel Wilson (despite his size)

Cousins is a good backup, but limited as a starter. And the others aren't worth considering.

Unfortunately, we are in a tight spot. I don't believe Tannehill is worth the #8 pick, and Weeden is older, and both will be gone in the 1st round if the Dolphins pick another player at #8.

3. iambanned

iambanned Banned Hammered

In a way it seems like the attributes that make him attractive also explain why he has so little experience. He was a WR, so he has mid-level college WR athletic ability and good size. He gives you , potentially, Tim Tebow's running skills with actual NFL QB-level throwing ability. From a strictly physical standpoint he's probably the most talented QB in the draft, but his body of work was extremely suspect and the sample size was pretty small. The question is, why did it take him so long to get the starting job? NFL gms can just close their eyes and just pretend that his terrible play in many games, especially in crunch time, was just caused by inexperience. If he can develop a good QB brain, and top-level poise (which I think is an intangible), then he could potentially be better than RG3 and Luck. It's a stretch, but with that kind of size, speed, and arm, stretches are often made.
    Does that help, OP?

4. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

Simple. Weeden is ready to start day 1 and is a great fit for a WCO with his quick release and excellent accuracy and decision making. Tannehill has a ton of potential but limited experience. Cousins is skittish under pressure, and is not very effective unless he gets on a roll. He also is not good at adjusting to what defenses show him. Career back up at best.

5. Lilseb93

Lilseb93 This Is My House

Weeden is ready to start day one. I think he's the 3rd best QB in the draft. My dream scenario is Blackmon falling to us at 8 and then us trading up for Weeden.

6. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Because people have said hes a first round pick, thats why. Oh, and because we have his former coach on staff and people are comforted with a built in excuse(if we dont take him: its because of Sherman, if we do take him: its because of Sherman).

Me? Im completely numb on the idea. Im still annoyed that we passed on QB's last year in a better draft. Now we have to "settle" for two prospects with glaring negatives. Kinda damned if you do damned if you dont.

I think most people on here recognize that Weeden is the better prospect. Some just will never get over his age. Sadly for us, we are out of position in the draft to justify taking him(to high in the first, to low in the second), and despite what Ireland says he will not just "follow his board" and instead either reach for Tannehill or convince himself that Weeden isnt considered that talented of a prospect because of his age.

7. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

weeden has peaked and wouldnt be able to beat out moore. cousins isnt very good

8. SamIam

SamIam Starter

I would crap my pants for a whole week if that happens

9. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

Tannehill V Weeden is all about age. If they were both 24 Weeden might go with the #2.
    Tannehill V Cousins is about physical tools. Tannehil is more athletic and has a stronger arm.

10. finfanaz

finfanaz A True Fan

That's a fairly bold statement, to say someone has "peaked" when they haven't even joined the NFL is just wrong. So you're saying that two years from now Weeden won't be any better after learning and practicing in the NFL? Hard for me to get on board with that..

This age thing with Weeden is being way overblown.... Hypothetical: Weeden starts day one and is a solid franchise QB till he's 35 (7 Years). So just cause you aren't getting 10 years due to him being older coming into the league he's not worth a high pick? That's laughable.. If a GM/Coach feels Weeden is the one then they pick him for that reason.. What kind of arrogant coaches do you guys think are running around the league? "I'm not going to draft that guy high cause he could only give me 7 instead of 10" When franchise QBs are rare as hell you think coaches are projecting their team 10 years from now?

All i'm saying is I don't think teams are looking at his age as a negative. Unless it's a team that has Weeden and another qb "neck and neck" as far as talent. Then I could see them saying "Hey lets go with the younger guy then". Other than that.. it's a stupid point and he will be drafted where his TALENT puts him. Not his age...

11. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

he wont be able to beat out moore. so why the hell invest in a qb that wont even be 30 untill he starts? have you watch anything but highlights? he doesnt fit this team. th browns would be perfect for him

12. MissMeth

MissMeth Miss July

All very helpful thank you.

I still am not comfortable taking Tannehill with #8. I am leaning more toward trading down a little for Fletcher Cox or Stephen Hill. If they are still there of course. Pick up Weeden in the 2nd and give him a chance. If he is that talented it is worth it.

13. where's th'fish

where's th'fish Scout Team Donator

Here's a take on why Cousins isn't such a hot prospect:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2012/futures-ugly-underside-mr-congeniality

14. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

Tim Tebow's running skills? Are you serious?

RG3 does not have Tebow's running skills. RG3 is a Mike Vick kind of QB runner, very fast for a QB but he needs a gaping hole. Tim Tebow can run over people, not just around them.

Part of the reason that Tannehill is being hyped is the over hyping of all the 1st round picks. After the first day of the draft every station, newspapers, blog etc etc etc will repeat over and over and over the names of the players picked in the 1st round much like it was the only round. It always drives me crazy.

15. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Reaching for Sanchez provides a cautionary tale when it comes to Tannehill, his experience level, his TD/Ints stats and relative inability to finish games. On the other hand Weeden beat Luck, RG3, Landry Jones and Foles, etc.

16. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

The fact that both Polian and Parcells like Cousins make me not want him.

17. Exuro

Exuro Well-Known Member

Big difference between Sanchez and Tannehill is that Miami doesn't have to start him from day 1, plus they won't have to trade up for him. Granted the Jets gave up peanuts for Sanchez but i guess you get for what you pay for. Having Tannehill's college Coach as his NFL OC is a boon because he'll already know the language, offensive concepts, and will be able to teach the offense the the rest of the team, which can potentially pay major dividends in 2013 and beyond.

I like both Tannehill and Weeden would be happy with either. Miami is drafting a QB this year because they have no one with NFL experience signed through next year. So it might as well be the guy the best chance of turning into a top tier QB. If Miami finishes the draft w/o either of those guys, it means they'll could be starting Osweiler, Foles or Cousins in 2013 and if that happens, this team is screwed.

18. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

Brandon Weeden beat Robert Griffin 59 to 24, he beat Andrew Luck in the Fiesta Bowl, he beat Landry Jones and he beat Ryan Tannehill.

If we draft Ryan Tannehill, we will have to start him from this season. It is the nature of the beast. Mike Mayock likes Tannehill but he belives that he WILL bE KILLED if played as a rookie.

19. Phin-Phan 66

Phin-Phan 66 Cunning Linguist

I would love to draft someone other than Tannehill at 8 and move back into the late 1st round for Weeden (or trade down and grab Weeden later). Either way, to me, Weeden > Tannehill.
    Is his age a factor? Of course it is, that's why he's not going #3 overall, where he may have gone had he been a 22 yr old.
    As someone else has said, I'd rather have a great QB for 7 or 8 years than not at all.

20. calebstephens8

calebstephens8 Active Member

draft tannehill give moore a shot then go from there

21. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

No we don't. He can sit just like other 1st round QBs before him did. The same way Jake Locker and Christian Ponder did last season.

22. TraderJoe

TraderJoe FinHeaven VIP

Not sure why everyone thinks Weeden is ready to start from day one?

When has a spread QB ever started from day one without major changes to the playbook?

Just because he is older does not make him more prepared for the NFL.

23. where's th'fish

where's th'fish Scout Team Donator

Exactly. Maybe he's more mature, but younger people actually learn faster.