Why the NFL isn't as special anymore | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why the NFL isn't as special anymore

Thursday does need to go. They also need better refs, less commercials and a package you can buy just the games you want. If I could pay idk 80 bucks a year for Miami dolphins televised games i would do that. That's 5 dollars a game which i think is fair

5 dollars a game for any sport is absurdly cheap

Minnesota v Panthers game today (12/10) is a perfect example of why the NFL is no longer special. A good game spoiled by replays and officiating - none of it really wrong necessarily . At least 3 fairly pivotal calls during that game were "technically" correct but to the casual fan these are kinda head scratchers. A touchdown where there receiver caught it inbounds, briefly had control but then lost control out of bounds. A "forward pass" that ended up being a fumble because the QB and ball was hit and lost control during the motion, etc. The game has become too bureaucratic, too legalistic, and too arcane in much of its on the field and off the field rules. I get that some hardcore fans don't mind this, or may actually enjoy that they have the special knowledge of the rules.... but if you ask me it has drained the fun out of the game ... and replays, oh the replays that seem to substantiate the arcane rules....

It's about $5 more than a lot of people currently pay to watch games.

And its about 10 less than the NFL currently charges in international markets etc where these packages already exist

5 dollars a game is no doubt a great idea for fans. And might be a great fit for a minor league college team.

The biggest problem with the NFL is that they destroyed the offseason with the last cba. Games will continue to get worse until they sort out player development.

Carson Wentz going down degrades already a tough year for the QB position. It basically clinches another mvp for Brady. Probably another Sb win as well.

And its about 10 less than the NFL currently charges in international markets etc where these packages already exist

5 dollars a game is no doubt a great idea for fans. And might be a great fit for a minor league college team.

The biggest problem with the NFL is that they destroyed the offseason with the last cba. Games will continue to get worse until they sort out player development.

I'm familiar with the international market. Personally, I don't know anybody who pays that in either Australia or Canada. You also have to factor in the cost of international licensing agreements and whatnot, which increase the cost for international fans. It would certainly be lower in the US. Or not, in which case people keep not paying that and somehow still seeing the games.

$5 or a little more might persuade people to go for the higher quality viewing. I'm sure the NFL has figured out the right balance to maximize those profits. Doubt it's a big reason for any shortfalls.

Agreed regarding player development. That and injuries. It will be interesting to see what the injury numbers look like for this year compared to previous years (https://www.playsmartplaysafe.com/newsroom/reports/2016-injury-data/). They may not be higher, but no doubt there are more star players. That hurts the whole league.

The NFL could do a lot to win back fans with a few simple changes:

1. Full time refs that are actually competent.
2. Make certain penalties (DPI in particular) subject to replay challenge.
3. FEWER COMMERCIALS.

#3 will only happen when the NFL figures out that fan retention is more important in the long run than a few extra commercials in the short run. And even looking at it from outside of a fan's perspective, that absolutely is the case. It's a lesson many businesses have to learn the hard way: when you are successful, customer retention trumps all.

I’d prefer all prime time games eliminated. I hate them.

Stop trying to take the sport overseas
Put an end to Thursday night games, two on Thanksgiving is enough
Over commercialization makes people want to vomit
Quit making teams build new stadiums every two years
Free agency is out of control, reward teams for keeping their best players for their entire careers
Stop the stupid cross networks games, 2 AFC teams playing should not be aired on Fox
Stop the rapid team location. Taking the Raiders from Oakland is just dumb.
It's 2017, can we eliminate the moving of chains and spotting the ball. Go to the dollar store and buy some laser pointers for **** sake.
Lower ticket prices, duh.

The NFL needs to long, hard look at Nascar and their failures after the sport peaked out. They are headed down the same path, empty seats and a major decrease in fans. Get back to their roots and what made the sport a success.

Stop trying to take the sport overseas
Put an end to Thursday night games, two on Thanksgiving is enough
Over commercialization makes people want to vomit
Quit making teams build new stadiums every two years
Free agency is out of control, reward teams for keeping their best players for their entire careers
Stop the stupid cross networks games, 2 AFC teams playing should not be aired on Fox
Stop the rapid team location. Taking the Raiders from Oakland is just dumb.
It's 2017, can we eliminate the moving of chains and spotting the ball. Go to the dollar store and buy some laser pointers for **** sake.
Lower ticket prices, duh.

The NFL needs to long, hard look at Nascar and their failures after the sport peaked out. They are headed down the same path, empty seats and a major decrease in fans. Get back to their roots and what made the sport a success.

I like it...

You've already mentioned eliminating Thursday night games I will add to have two bye weeks and only 3 preseason games.

On Sunday, there should be two games on at both 1 and 4. Eliminate the blackout bullshit.

Any player who is resigned should only have his cap value assessed at 75% against the cap. Would encourage teams to keep their own players.

Yeah, the fact we have access to untold amounts of technology, the fact that spotting the ball is still up to human error and the question of whether a player makes 1st still baffles me.

No more instant replay than there already is. I'd rather it was scrapped all together than adding to it.

And there's no way the free agency genie is ever being put back into the bottle. It's even worse in MLB, for instance, where no small market team is ever able to pay competitive salaries to the superstars that they develop.

The NFL will be special for me again when we are in the playoffs yearly.... Yes..I'm that petty!!!

Back
Top Bottom