Why Tyler Eifert HAS to be our pick at #12

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by fanfin, Feb 23, 2013.

1. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

Our redzone offense has been awful. A young quarterback's best friend is not a running game, it is a security blanket at TE. The greatest thing about Eifert is that he is exactly that, a security blanket. At 6'5 1/2 and his long arms he has such a big catch radius to put the ball. He just said the one player he compares himself to Jimmy Graham and I definitely see the comparison. They are both OUTSTANDING at "Boxing out defenders and grabbing the rebound at the HIGHEST POINT" ohh wait.. they're not playing basketball anymore.......... But the way they can shield off defenders and high point the football is the reason why Jimmy is the best TE in the league and Eifert is the best TE in the draft. He is a GREAT REDZONE THREAT and will instantly improve our redzone offense.Although he is no Gronkowski when it comes to blocking, he has improved every year and half of blocking at TE is effort which he shows in the ruun game....He is a very crisp route runner, lining up at times as an X receiver and running dig routes... Very smooth in his breaks for being 6'5 +.. My one concern with him is his speed. He just said a high time for him Saturday will be a 4.5.. He looks more along the lines of a 4.7.. That is what made me skeptical about taking him at #12 but his ability to box out defenders and go get the football is what has swayed my opinion. With 2-3 receivers next year (hopefully Wallace, and Greg) and reggie bush expected to have a way bigger role in the pass game as a 3rd down back and possibly (and hopefully) as a slot and outside receiver.. With the emergence of Miller and Wallace and Greg on the outside, Eifert down the middle, and Reggie and Bess underneath we have the POTENTIAL
    to field a top 5 offense next year...Ireland make it happen!!!

2. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

Cordarrelle Patterson at #12. Dude is going to be incredible.

3. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

4. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

I take Buoniconti's opinions and go the other way.

5. maso3348

maso3348 Scout Team

Not happening!! There is no way they stay at 12 and draft someone who could potentially drop to the 2nd round. If he is there with our first pick in round 2 great but I don't see it happening so if we drop back and acquire some additional picks I'd be ok w/ it.

Many other positions of need to address I just don't think TE is the #1 position to fill regardless of what we do in FA.

6. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

Sheet, some have jets taking Patterson at 10

7. traptses

traptses Starter

I don't think there is ANYBODY that HAS to be our pick. There are quite a few options we could go with at 12. Patterson at WR? Eifert at TE? Warmack at OG? Millner at CB? Maybe one of the many DEs available? What we do in FA will have a big say in where we go in the draft, but right now, we have alot of options that will all help our team

8. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Seasoned Veteran

i think most of us are 'all in' on drafting a TE ... but not at #12 ... not unless he is a 'special' player -- and don't see Eifert or Ertz as 'special'

9. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

There a few options for big tight ends that make reaching for one at 12 a potentially bad idea, that is unless you believe Tyler is so much better than the others and that he will be an all-pro.

I am not convinced that much separates him from Zach Ertz, or even Gavin Escobar for that matter. There actually are a few other interesting tight ends out there as well.

I'm thinking unless one guy greatly separates himself, it would make more sense to grab one later. Doesn't seem like great value with the 12th pick.

10. KippyIA1354

KippyIA1354 Home of the ONE and ONLY PERFECT TEAM!

I like Tyler Eifert and have no problem with taking him at #12! He will be a quality TE in this league. He was the only bright spot in Notre Dame's debacle in the the National championship game. Also, he did it against the number one ranked corner in this draft in Dee Milliner. I think if we are going to catch the Patriots we have to get some more pass rushers so they don't double team Cam Wake all day!ALA GIANTS! The recipe of beating Brady is hit his fairy *** all day!!

11. Twitches Brew

Twitches Brew A True Fan

There's no way he's even close to being the 12th-best player in this draft. He may not even be top-30. This would be a huge instance of 'reaching for need'.

12. Pat-London

Pat-London A True Fan

Would love to have Eifert at some point in the draft but not at 12. You could probably trade down into the lower part of the 1st and still get him while also picking up some more value in the 2nd/3rd.

Agree that it would greatly enhance our Red Zone which is pretty poor right now. I'd also consider Toilolo TE for Standford in the 4th/5th

13. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

btw, dude is 6'2" not 6-3. more evidence of puffing him up.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

wrong.

Tyler Eifert would have far more impact on this team day one than corrderelle patterson any way you slice it. People live in fantasy world. going to bed every night thinking one guy is the end all say all. scary if you ask me.

14. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

when Ireland was asked about TE's the other day, he brought up about this class has more versatility in splitting out, line in, H-back, ability to go down the seam. Its my opine that he is basically referring to Eifert because this guy has done it all and plays WR alot. Not to mention there is no better polished blocker in this draft at TE than Eifert. Scouts told him to work on it for his senior year and it shows. Thats why his numbers went down a little because he is universal in an offense. Blocking is what sets him apart. Guess which coach of ours loves guys who do it all and BLOCK!!!

15. Krush

Krush Finaholic Donator

Take out swope and insert Stedman Bailey

16. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Take him in round 2 if hes there.

17. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

some have the jets taking warmack at 10

18. Digital

Digital Starter

I'm a big fan of both Eifert and Ertz. Despite our great amount of high draft picks, we don't have any late-first/early-second in the 20-42'ish range where tons of the good fit players will be taken. I think Eifert and Ertz will be gone in that range too unfortunately. :( If Eifert had Jimmy Graham's speed and athleticism he would be in the discusion at #12, but most NFL coverage linebackers run between 4.6 and 4.68 in the 40, so assuming Eifert runs around 4.7, I see a lot of teams thinking he can be covered by an NFL LB. This sentiment will drop his draft position ... hopefully enough for us to get him at #47.

Wouldn't it be awesome if we landed Patterson at #12 and Eifert at #42. :brewskis:

19. circumstances

circumstances Starter

i like eifert, but i think 12 is high for him. take someone else at 12 (ideally a top 5-8 talent that falls), then if eifert is still there as round one goes on, maybe consider trading back into the round and get him if the price is reasonable (if the FO has a conviction on him). other than that, no. as i said, you hope for a top 5-8 talent to fall to you at 12, you don't reach for a top 15-whatever talent at 12.

20. PolitePolite

PolitePolite Well-Known Member

You cray.

21. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

I think Eifert is instanly a top 10 TE in this league. And a future All-Pro. I can't say that about anyone but Milliner and Warmack..if they are their thats one thing but its highly unlikely

22. aqualuv

aqualuv My Little FinFan

You obviously haven't watched this kid since high school, like some of us. This kid IS special and will be a pro bowl TE for years. We will be very fortunate if we can land this kid.

23. CONVIGLIONUS

CONVIGLIONUS Well-Known Member

I think Eifert should be the 1st rd pick because he will help right away and he will not last to our 2nd rd pick.

24. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

Eifert 35 1/2 inch vert........

25. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

Eifert 4.60
    Ertz 4.72
    Escobar 4.88
    UNOFFICIAL TIMES ON FIRST ATTEMPT

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

hahahaha so much for my concern with his speed...........

26. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

Just came to post that. Eifert's 4.6 is really impressive. I think he has to be in the discussion for Miami.

27. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

Ireland drafted a Center #15 overall, and A QB with only 19 starts the past 2 years in his OWN drafts. Makes me believe even more Eifert is the pick, bring back fasano (former ND te) to be used as an H-back #2 type like in 08 and to help develop Eifert

28. uk_dolfan

Physically Eifert is leading the top TE prospects but I still don't believe he is worth a low first round pick. This isnt Gronk.

29. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Ettz's 4.65 is legit enough to still be the first TE overall.

30. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

Lol because the guy is an inch shorter than his listed height he is being overhyped? Give me a freaking break!

31. Tailgun

Tailgun John Edwards

I don't know. For the longest time I was convinced that Ezekiel Ansah was going to be the pick at 12.

But the more I read about Ansah and the more I see what Eifert is doing on the field at the combine, I'm slowly becoming more and more of a mind that we could either take him at 12 or trade down for an extra second and still have him be our number 1 pick. He really looks like he's going to be something special.

Maybe I'll become one of these guys who preach Tank Carradine in 2nd or 3rd.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

32. slickrickpuppy

slickrickpuppy Banned Hammered

trade down and get him like the 20th pick..but at 12 thats too high for a tightend.

33. dcnr226

dcnr226 A True Fan Donator

I agree 100%. The only exceptions I might make are for a guy like Dee Milliner or Bjorn Werner..if they are there at 12, they are too good to pass up. Eifert just ran. 4.6, which put him #3, ahead of Ertz. 22 reps of 225 on the bench. Eifert will a red zone threat and first down machine, especially if we add pieces around him that open up the field.

34. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

Eifert actually had 24 reps but two were discredited I think he is a future All-Pro.. I mean there are certainly 3-5 guys who if they happened to be their would be shocking and definitely worthy of the choice, but the plan should be to take Eifert. No one will remember if Eifert was #12 pick of #25. what they will remember is how many Redzone Tds he scores.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Mike Mayock "Tyler Eifert has OWNED the day"

35. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

Eifert falls down or is tackled immediately after a catch, no thank you. Trade up for Milliner, the next Ed Reed.

36. uk_dolfan

lol

37. state06

state06 A True Fan

Eifert will not be there at 42 after his performance, and i feel like we will fall in love with someone else tomorrow in Patterson for #12. I still Like Ertz if he is there at 42 and have mentioned Escobar and Kelce as hard to pass before the combine in a previous thread. Mcdonald may also catch Irelands eye with his solid senior bowl and impressive strength

38. rrrrphin

rrrrphin Scout Team

You get more value with Vance McDonald at 2b or 3a

39. footsteps_falco

footsteps_falco Damn SugarBowl Finheaven VIP Donator

How fast he ran wont change anything. The combine workout will only re affirm the draft board or at worst force them to go back to the tape. I doubt Ireland has him ahead of that many players as far as BPA and his workout today wouldn't change thati

40. Digital

Digital Starter

The official time was 4.68, so just a hair under 4.7 and around where I expected him to be. Honestly, I expected Ertz to be faster than 4.72. Eifert's 35.5 vertical and long arms really underscores his red zone ability that shows up on film, so the now solid 40 (Gronk ran a 4.7 incidentally) probably means we are unlikely to see him last until #42. On the other hand, I think Ertz has come in a little shorter, shorter armed, and slower than expected so there's a chance he might last until #42. But, there's no doubt that Vance McDonald really caught my eye in the Senior Bowl, and his combine has really been impressive. He's the heaviest and put up the most reps of 225 of all the good prospects, and he ran fast too, with a very good 10 yard split. So, who knows, maybe some teams are OK waiting until the 3rd to grab a TE this year and one of Eifert or Ertz falls to #42. Here's hoping.