Why waste the Sunday? (a calculation)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Ghambit, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Ghambit

Ghambit Active Member

So, I've recently gone back to school to study engineering and I was thinking to myself (while calculating voltage gain in a common-emitter transistor), "I wonder how much time I've wasted since year-2000 supporting the dolphins." Out comes the calculator:

• 15 games on TV, 1 at the stadium figures to about 68 man-hours per regular season
    • Figure 2 hours of forum/espn/news ranting/following per week amounts to about 32 man-hours per regular season
    • Following draft, camp, and pre-season let's say we dump about another 12 man-hours per season (conservatively, for me)
    • In thirteen seasons this will amount to approximately 1456 man-hours lost following this team; or 60 complete days (2-months). Considering the typical day is avg. 8hrs per sleep/work/play this equates to about 182 days lost in any of those categories... or half a year
    • Allowing for today's skilled-labor hourly rate (if freelancing) of about $60/hour, this costs the regular blue-collar individual $87360 in total for 13 seasons. At the entry-level wage-slave rate of $12/hour it equates to only $17472. Either way, it's a year's salary for most working-class folk.
    • Now consider time with the family (wife, kids, etc.). One could foster a child in 2000 and by the time the kid is in high-school, you'd have lost half a year's development of your kid... akin to a tour in Afghanistan. If you consider Sunday as a loss entirely (due to time management and so forth), this figure jumps to 234 days (including pre-season, etc.)
    • Let's go further and pretend you're a post-secondary student. Figure you need about 15 hrs./week minimum (not including classtime) to keep pace with a full-time courseload. This equates to about 97 weeks of study time lost... or, 6 semesters worth of school given a 16-week semester. e.g. You could be a senior in college given the time lost (yup, instead of supporting the 'phins you could've essentially had a bachelor's degree)

I love the phins and all, but sometimes I seriously question the use of my time when I see folk enjoying the day out on the boat, with friends, catching up with work, or generally relaxing (and not stressing over the phins) whilst I suffer through a season. I will always support the team, but I'm at the point I can't allocate this kind of time anymore given how fleeting of an existence we humans lead. Kinda not worth it. Especially when you consider the stress levels and general foul moods generated week after week, season after season. Note: I didn't even calculate loss of production or health due to stress level nor overall effect on a marriage/relationship nor most social parameters in general.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2013
  2. RickyBess3415

RickyBess3415 Well-Known Member

Sure, you could stop watching. But then when the phins somehow, someway, turn it around and win the superbowl, one day you can go **** yourself with your fair weather fan bs.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

3. Ghambit

Ghambit Active Member

smh... fair weather?? When? '72?
    Somehow, someway turn it around and win a superbowl?? Yah, I'm not falling into your sarchasm. :ponder:

4. Lilseb93

Lilseb93 This Is My House

I have nothing to do on Sundays besides watch football and then go to work. Plus I don't give up on my teams.

5. Ghambit

Ghambit Active Member

I only watch football to watch the phins typically. And no one is giving up on the team... I'm just contemplating the loss of time. And regardless, it IS a loss of time when you shut the TV off in a bad mood, feeling disgusted and unentertained.

6. SB Dreamer

SB Dreamer Banned Hammered

Its sports entertainment period...spend your time and your energy watching it accordingly but when there is no reward but misery...meh
    The car is dirty, leaves need gathering and there is always a golf course calling.

7. MarinoEqualsGod

MarinoEqualsGod The man, the myth, the legend

NEEEEEERRRRRDDD!!!!!

Seriously though, Sunday's sometimes my only day off during the week. I just want to relax, so what better way to do so than sitting at home watching football. Granted, Dolphins games aren't relaxing in the least, but it's still a way that I CHOOSE to spend my time. I just take it for what it's worth, which is a hobby.

8. number1fin

number1fin #onephin Donator

Always worth watching my favorite (and only) sports team. Always.

9. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

I hate fans like you. Fair weather fans? I love how so many of you are so damn angry at other fans for expressing their opinions on the fins. I think if OP wants to better use his time and start doing better things with his life and only check in occasionally he should be allowed to without you jumping down his throat. You sound like an angry friend that's jealous his best buddy got married and starts saying stuff like were not friends anymore. ****ing childish as hell.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

10. Despacio

Despacio Pro Bowler

Granted there's been a lot of sadness, but there have been great times. Marino comebacks, Ricky running wild, Camarillo saving us from 0-16. Lots of memories. Even this season that Atlanta game, Tannehill beating Luck, the Wake safety win.

It's a journey, not an endgame. It's a lifetime choice of loyalty and belief. It's football. It's Fins football. Be careful stepping off the train, but personally I'm staying on for the full ride.

FinsUp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf A True Fan

Exactly. The OP has his own opinion and I think it was a well thought out one. I have had to work more often this season during the game times so I haven't been able to watch as much as before but even still I'd probably take his stance as well.

...BTW this fair weather fan stuff is what is BS. What? Do I win a freaking medal from the Dolphins with my name etched in gold for being here when things were down? Do they suddenly help ME out when things are down in my life? I mean, loyalty begets loyalty, no? Give me a break. Its people like that who freak out over such things in life that make me want to be a 'fair weather' fan just to piss them off.

For example, I've been a Heat fan since the days of old (Ronnie Seikaly, Sherman Douglas, Glen Rice, Steve Smith, Grant Long, Keith Askins, Bimbo Coles, Kevin Edwards...heck Alan Ogg), and yet now they they are winning championships what did that 'loyalty' bring me? Some kind of personal satisfaction? I guess, Maybe if you count it like something similar to beating a Video Game. That's about it. Think Pat Riley gives a hoot about my 'loyalty'...really? Maybe I should personally contact Coaches Ron Rothstein and Kevin Loughery...even Alvin Gentry (who coached during those old Pre-Riley times) and see if I can get a special loyalty 'gift' from the Heat.

If I don't feel like following a team when they are losing then I choose not to, that's my right. If I have more fun following them when they win then so be it. If I am somewhere in the middle, that's fine to. The point is, just do what you want with your spare time and like whatever team you want to like. No one in the end, when your days are done on this earth, is going to give a crap about what team you followed and if you were a 'great' and special guy when they weren't winning.

12. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf A True Fan

I think your opinion is great too. (Just as the OP has his own valid opinion of what to do with his time)

I don't think anyone should be boxed into what being a 'fan' is. Just do whats right for you and be happy.

13. oscar

oscar Scout Team

Love watching the fins.Can't hardly wait till next Sunday to watch them play the Jets.

14. Despacio

Despacio Pro Bowler

All fans are welcome of course. I do think the more investment you put into a team, the more rewarding it is to see them come out on top. No pain no gain in a sense.

15. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

You reminde me of the scene in A bronx Tale, where Chaz Palmenteri tells the kid not to feel bad for some yankee player cuz he don't give a **** about you.

16. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

I could count how I never miss a Path to the Draft show, read my Mel Kiper "blue book", watch gavel to gavel coverage of the draft and watch all the preseason games plus pregame. Calculate that ****.

17. CRAZYDOLFAN305

CRAZYDOLFAN305 We Are Still Going To The SB

When you start having to calculate the time you spend watching your favorite football team, and assigning a dollar value to it, it's about time you just quit all together and just go on that nice boat of yours. I wonder how all the NFL players that have their Bachelors and Associates and etc. Manage, the time spend cheering on your favorite team is actually priceless, especially the enjoyment you get when your team wins. Jeezuz..

I mean just tell Lions, Cardinals, Eagles, Bills, Jets, and the countless other teams that haven't won the superbowl in decades, they should just find something else to do and how much better it would be if they did. So now, the NFL will just be a league with just fans of the Patriots, Packers, Steelers, Giants, Ravens, in such. Than the NFL can go from a 9 Billion dollar sport to a development league for college players..

18. little biggen

little biggen Well-Known Member

Bumpus likes this.
  19. Hurricane_Shula

Hurricane_Shula 3rd parade down Biscayne Blvd!

I stopped caring about college sports years ago. Same with baseball. I only have 3 teams now (Heat, Dolphins, FC Barcelona). I can't abandon them even though they do nothing but break my heart, they're like a kid to me. But man my Sundays are hell to my sleep and general well-being since I work Saturdays until 6 am and still make the effort to watch this team (lose most of the time).

20. Ghambit

Ghambit Active Member

I understand and respect all the viewpoints in here, but I'll add there this IS a quantifiable factor in all of this where "quality" is concerned. Sure, supporting a team is great and all, but at what point does the quality of the product and the lack of return in your investment make you question your life? I've about reached that point with this team until I see changes that are in line with what I believe is worth my fandom.

It's the same way with the Marlins (who most people write off as the joke of the MLB; worst owner in history). Conversely, the Heat (whom I've always supported, especially since Micky took over from his father; now they've become the best sports franchise in all of sports currently). The phins?? There's exactly ****all reason to support this team given the way Huizenga has essentially stripped it of all soul over the years, culminating in this latest schmuck and sucker of an owner.

It's not even about wins/losses at this point (it never was), it's about respecting the teams that deserve it; the teams that are run well and deliver a quality product regardless of record. The phins have categorically failed at that for over a decade even when having a good squad (like they do now).

So no, I will not be buying tix for the game nor setting aside days upon days of my hard-pressed time to be a fan of this team until I can respect the team enough to do-so. Do I love football? Hell ya. Will I watch it?? Sometimes, yes. But not having a home-team to completely root for makes it a lot less of a draw on Sundays; so I consider myself now free to enjoy other things until there's a recognizable re-calibration of this franchise, beyond wins-losses.

21. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

I just enjoy watching football and the Dolphins happen to be my favorite team. With the weekly rigors of the busy lives we all endure in this day and age it's nice to sit down for 3 hours or so on a Sunday and enjoy a football game win or lose. Sure there are always things that can be done around the yard or in the house but I'm one of those guys who definetly considers a whole beautiful summer Saturday or Sunday sepnt out in the yard a bigger waste of time than watching football on a colder not as nice Sunday afternoon. Men obsess over the yard for 2 reasons:

1. They hate their wives.
    2. Their wives will not let them do anything else.

22. Despacio

Despacio Pro Bowler

Here's the thing though. This franchise has pursued Jimmy Johnson, the hottest Super Bowl winning coach at the time. Wannstedt was Jimmy's recommendation. Then they went for Saban, the hottest college coach and now arguably one of the greatest college coaches of all time. Cameron was a mistake, but he was the hottest OC at the time.

Lastly this franchise pursued and landed Bill Parcells, again, one of the most respected front office men and coaches who routinely built up dead franchises.

I mean, this franchise pursued nothing but the best to reclaim the glory Shula brought in his prime.

What more could have been done?

23. burgerj3

burgerj3 Active Member Donator

doing the math on time and money ive spent for games and apparel over 20 years. I wanna kill myself. however still going to the game sun I guess im just a fan...

24. cullenbigcstill

cullenbigcstill FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

If you love the Dolphins you will always give your time, heart, soul and mind unconditionally to your team win or lose. If you can't or question why you do it when things go bad, maybe your just not the relationship type of person and don't have any commitment and true passion nor love for your team. I love them no matter what, the past 25 years have been hard and some day I believe, maybe because I'm head over heels in love with the Dolphins, I believe greatness will come.

On my fifth anniversary I told my wife that I think I may now love you as much as the Dolphins! She said damn babes you must love the **** out of me!

If you don't feel that way maybe you should go bandwagon to another time so you don't waste your precious time, no hard feelings hope you find a tam you love like I do. No matter win or loss your there, passionate and keep coming back, keep blogging, posting and reading everything out there about your love. It sux to be on a losing team, but it'll be that much sweeter when we do become a winner and my love for my team will be no different!

25. MexDolfan

MexDolfan Seasoned Veteran

I see your point I achieved my master in science degree five years ago and during that time I have been waiting Dolphins to achieve something.
    I mean use your time as you wish, explore the world, have a nice day every Sunday or stay tuned to the team and live with stress and frustration.

But when you can witness a fun game like the win on Indianapolis last September or last season when Dolphins won over Seahawks life gets a different taste: victory.
    And nothing tastes better.

26. TX-FinFan

TX-FinFan Seasoned Veteran

I don't watch the Fins based on an economic or cost-benefit analysis. Each of us defines the value of watching the game independently. You need to figure out if there is something else that makes you happy or is 'cheaper' than watching the football games on Sunday and go for it.

27. Spiff

Spiff Starter Finheaven VIP

I have really tried not watching them. But I can't, I simply can't. We're going to the Czech Republic on the weekend of the Steelers game and I have already reserved a table in a sportsbar right in front of the biggest screen where they show the game. It's an addiction and just like with every addiction you can't stop.

28. FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard FearTheBurke

Fill your day with things you enjoy. For a number of us that's the highs and lows of being a Dolphins fan.

29. FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard FearTheBurke

Ya Barcelona and the Heat is a real tough go eh...

30. DDTDON

DDTDON Seasoned Veteran

How much time did you waste making this calculation?? How much of our time was wasted reading this post? Never mind, I am gonna go watch football....

31. Ghambit

Ghambit Active Member

Less time then I've wasted watching this staff try and run a franchise. :rolleyes2:

32. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

Math is for pencil-necked geeks.

:lol:

33. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

To the OP,,,,,you could say there is also the possibility that all the time you are spending in school studying engineering could also be a waste of time, and money. It depends how you value it and what your goals are. There is no guarantee going to school is going to get you a job or help pay for the high tuition that schools charge these days. Many engineers, lawyers, MBA's cannot find a job in this economy, and pile up big debt. Some fans choose to spend many hours watching the teams, talking about them, posting to chat boards, but like anything else, you also should be able to manage your time spent with family/friends, hobbies, going to school, your interests, etc. It depends what your priorities are.

34. moonman

moonman >tfw dolphins fan

OP is precisely why Miami fans get so much ****. It's always something.

35. Ghambit

Ghambit Active Member

So, I got a little bit done around the house today while glancing at the phins blow yet another season (which unlike some folk, I fully expected to happen). Also got some holiday returns and bday gift shopping done. Above all, woohoo!! I'm now relatively free for the playoffs since my fav. team isn't in it. Silver-linings 'n all that. :woot: