Why waste the Sunday? (a calculation) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why waste the Sunday? (a calculation)

Ghambit

Practice Squad
Reaction score
So, I've recently gone back to school to study engineering and I was thinking to myself (while calculating voltage gain in a common-emitter transistor), "I wonder how much time I've wasted since year-2000 supporting the dolphins." Out comes the calculator:

• 15 games on TV, 1 at the stadium figures to about 68 man-hours per regular season
  • Figure 2 hours of forum/espn/news ranting/following per week amounts to about 32 man-hours per regular season
  • Following draft, camp, and pre-season let's say we dump about another 12 man-hours per season (conservatively, for me)
  • In thirteen seasons this will amount to approximately 1456 man-hours lost following this team; or 60 complete days (2-months). Considering the typical day is avg. 8hrs per sleep/work/play this equates to about 182 days lost in any of those categories... or half a year
  • Allowing for today's skilled-labor hourly rate (if freelancing) of about $60/hour, this costs the regular blue-collar individual $87360 in total for 13 seasons. At the entry-level wage-slave rate of $12/hour it equates to only $17472. Either way, it's a year's salary for most working-class folk.
  • Now consider time with the family (wife, kids, etc.). One could foster a child in 2000 and by the time the kid is in high-school, you'd have lost half a year's development of your kid... akin to a tour in Afghanistan. If you consider Sunday as a loss entirely (due to time management and so forth), this figure jumps to 234 days (including pre-season, etc.)
  • Let's go further and pretend you're a post-secondary student. Figure you need about 15 hrs./week minimum (not including classtime) to keep pace with a full-time courseload. This equates to about 97 weeks of study time lost... or, 6 semesters worth of school given a 16-week semester. e.g. You could be a senior in college given the time lost (yup, instead of supporting the 'phins you could've essentially had a bachelor's degree)

I love the phins and all, but sometimes I seriously question the use of my time when I see folk enjoying the day out on the boat, with friends, catching up with work, or generally relaxing (and not stressing over the phins) whilst I suffer through a season. I will always support the team, but I'm at the point I can't allocate this kind of time anymore given how fleeting of an existence we humans lead. Kinda not worth it. Especially when you consider the stress levels and general foul moods generated week after week, season after season. Note: I didn't even calculate loss of production or health due to stress level nor overall effect on a marriage/relationship nor most social parameters in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, you could stop watching. But then when the phins somehow, someway, turn it around and win the superbowl, one day you can go **** yourself with your fair weather fan bs.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

smh... fair weather?? When? '72?
Somehow, someway turn it around and win a superbowl?? Yah, I'm not falling into your sarchasm. :ponder:

I have nothing to do on Sundays besides watch football and then go to work. Plus I don't give up on my teams.

I only watch football to watch the phins typically. And no one is giving up on the team... I'm just contemplating the loss of time. And regardless, it IS a loss of time when you shut the TV off in a bad mood, feeling disgusted and unentertained.

Its sports entertainment period...spend your time and your energy watching it accordingly but when there is no reward but misery...meh
The car is dirty, leaves need gathering and there is always a golf course calling.

So, I've recently gone back to school to study engineering and I was thinking to myself (while calculating voltage gain in a common-emitter transistor), "I wonder how much time I've wasted since year-2000 supporting the dolphins." Out comes the calculator:

• 15 games on TV, 1 at the stadium figures to about 68 man-hours per regular season
  • Figure 2 hours of forum/espn/news ranting/following per week amounts to about 32 man-hours per regular season
  • Following draft, camp, and pre-season let's say we dump about another 12 man-hours per season (conservatively, for me)
  • In thirteen seasons this will amount to approximately 1456 man-hours lost following this team; or 60 complete days (2-months). Considering the typical day is avg. 8hrs per sleep/work/play this equates to about 182 days lost in any of those categories... or half a year
  • Allowing for today's skilled-labor hourly rate (if freelancing) of about $60/hour, this costs the regular blue-collar individual $87360 in total for 13 seasons. At the entry-level wage-slave rate of $12/hour it equates to only $17472. Either way, it's a year's salary for most working-class folk.
  • Now consider time with the family (wife, kids, etc.). One could foster a child in 2000 and by the time the kid is in high-school, you'd have lost half a year's development of your kid... akin to a tour in Afghanistan. If you consider Sunday as a loss entirely (due to time management and so forth), this figure jumps to 234 days (including pre-season, etc.)
  • Let's go further and pretend you're a post-secondary student. Figure you need about 15 hrs./week minimum (not including classtime) to keep pace with a full-time courseload. This equates to about 97 weeks of study time lost... or, 6 semesters worth of school given a 16-week semester. e.g. You could be a senior in college given the time lost (yup, instead of supporting the 'phins you could've essentially had a bachelor's degree)

I love the phins and all, but sometimes I seriously question the use of my time when I see folk enjoying the day out on the boat, with friends, catching up with work, or generally relaxing (and not stressing over the phins) whilst I suffer through a season. I will always support the team, but I'm at the point I can't allocate this kind of time anymore given how fleeting of an existence we humans lead. Kinda not worth it. Especially when you consider the stress levels and general foul moods generates week after week, season after season. Note: I didn't even calculate loss of production or health due to stress level nor overall effect on a marriage/relationship nor most social parameters in general.

NEEEEEERRRRRDDD!!!!!

Seriously though, Sunday's sometimes my only day off during the week. I just want to relax, so what better way to do so than sitting at home watching football. Granted, Dolphins games aren't relaxing in the least, but it's still a way that I CHOOSE to spend my time. I just take it for what it's worth, which is a hobby.

Always worth watching my favorite (and only) sports team. Always.

Sure, you could stop watching. But then when the phins somehow, someway, turn it around and win the superbowl, one day you can go **** yourself with your fair weather fan bs.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I hate fans like you. Fair weather fans? I love how so many of you are so damn angry at other fans for expressing their opinions on the fins. I think if OP wants to better use his time and start doing better things with his life and only check in occasionally he should be allowed to without you jumping down his throat. You sound like an angry friend that's jealous his best buddy got married and starts saying stuff like were not friends anymore. ****ing childish as hell.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Granted there's been a lot of sadness, but there have been great times. Marino comebacks, Ricky running wild, Camarillo saving us from 0-16. Lots of memories. Even this season that Atlanta game, Tannehill beating Luck, the Wake safety win.

It's a journey, not an endgame. It's a lifetime choice of loyalty and belief. It's football. It's Fins football. Be careful stepping off the train, but personally I'm staying on for the full ride.

FinsUp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate fans like you. Fair weather fans? I love how so many of you are so damn angry at other fans for expressing their opinions on the fins. I think if OP wants to better use his time and start doing better things with his life and only check in occasionally he should be allowed to without you jumping down his throat. You sound like an angry friend that's jealous his best buddy got married and starts saying stuff like were not friends anymore. ****ing childish as hell.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Exactly. The OP has his own opinion and I think it was a well thought out one. I have had to work more often this season during the game times so I haven't been able to watch as much as before but even still I'd probably take his stance as well.

...BTW this fair weather fan stuff is what is BS. What? Do I win a freaking medal from the Dolphins with my name etched in gold for being here when things were down? Do they suddenly help ME out when things are down in my life? I mean, loyalty begets loyalty, no? Give me a break. Its people like that who freak out over such things in life that make me want to be a 'fair weather' fan just to piss them off.

For example, I've been a Heat fan since the days of old (Ronnie Seikaly, Sherman Douglas, Glen Rice, Steve Smith, Grant Long, Keith Askins, Bimbo Coles, Kevin Edwards...heck Alan Ogg), and yet now they they are winning championships what did that 'loyalty' bring me? Some kind of personal satisfaction? I guess, Maybe if you count it like something similar to beating a Video Game. That's about it. Think Pat Riley gives a hoot about my 'loyalty'...really? Maybe I should personally contact Coaches Ron Rothstein and Kevin Loughery...even Alvin Gentry (who coached during those old Pre-Riley times) and see if I can get a special loyalty 'gift' from the Heat.

If I don't feel like following a team when they are losing then I choose not to, that's my right. If I have more fun following them when they win then so be it. If I am somewhere in the middle, that's fine to. The point is, just do what you want with your spare time and like whatever team you want to like. No one in the end, when your days are done on this earth, is going to give a crap about what team you followed and if you were a 'great' and special guy when they weren't winning.

Granted there's been a lot of sadness, but there have been great times. Marino comebacks, Ricky running wild, Camarillo saving us from 0-16. Lots of memories. Even this season that Atlanta game, Tannehill beating Luck, the Wake safety win.

It's a journey, not an endgame. It's a lifetime choice of loyalty and belief. It's football. It's Fins football. Be careful stepping off the train, but personally I'm staying on for the full ride.

FinsUp.

I think your opinion is great too. (Just as the OP has his own valid opinion of what to do with his time)

I don't think anyone should be boxed into what being a 'fan' is. Just do whats right for you and be happy.

All fans are welcome of course. I do think the more investment you put into a team, the more rewarding it is to see them come out on top. No pain no gain in a sense.

Exactly. The OP has his own opinion and I think it was a well thought out one. I have had to work more often this season during the game times so I haven't been able to watch as much as before but even still I'd probably take his stance as well.

...BTW this fair weather fan stuff is what is BS. What? Do I win a freaking medal from the Dolphins with my name etched in gold for being here when things were down? Do they suddenly help ME out when things are down in my life? I mean, loyalty begets loyalty, no? Give me a break. Its people like that who freak out over such things in life that make me want to be a 'fair weather' fan just to piss them off.

For example, I've been a Heat fan since the days of old (Ronnie Seikaly, Sherman Douglas, Glen Rice, Steve Smith, Grant Long, Keith Askins, Bimbo Coles, Kevin Edwards...heck Alan Ogg), and yet now they they are winning championships what did that 'loyalty' bring me? Some kind of personal satisfaction? I guess, Maybe if you count it like something similar to beating a Video Game. That's about it. Think Pat Riley gives a hoot about my 'loyalty'...really? Maybe I should personally contact Coaches Ron Rothstein and Kevin Loughery...even Alvin Gentry (who coached during those old Pre-Riley times) and see if I can get a special loyalty 'gift' from the Heat.

If I don't feel like following a team when they are losing then I choose not to, that's my right. If I have more fun following them when they win then so be it. If I am somewhere in the middle, that's fine to. The point is, just do what you want with your spare time and like whatever team you want to like. No one in the end, when your days are done on this earth, is going to give a crap about what team you followed and if you were a 'great' and special guy when they weren't winning.

You reminde me of the scene in A bronx Tale, where Chaz Palmenteri tells the kid not to feel bad for some yankee player cuz he don't give a **** about you.

Back
Top Bottom