Wide Receiver

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finsnchips, Feb 26, 2004.

1. finsnchips

finsnchips 2005 FinHeaven GM League Champion!!

We have a large number of WRs on this team:

Chris Chambers
    Derrius Thompson
    James McKnight
    Oronde Gadsden
    JR Tolver
    Sam Simmons
    Kendall Newson
    Snoop Minnis
    Ronald Bellamy

There's nine, Miami tend to only run two-receiver sets, they sometimes get a little adventurous and run three wideout sets.

I think that Chambers and Thompson will start next year no matter what happens in the draft.

Obviously some of those guys won't make the team, and it is likely that James Mcknight will be released.

I see little need to draft a receiver in round 1. Chris Chambers is our number one guy. He is our Randy Moss. Our go to guy. We could quite easily pick up a guy in round 3 (Keary Colbert, Devard Darling, Jerricho Cotchery, BJ Johnson) that can develop into a second wideout.

We don't need a big target in the passing game, we already have one in Randy McMichael.

I'm not saying I don't see the need to draft a WR, or that I don't want to draft WR in round 1. I really like the Michael Clayton, and the big three (Larry Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, Mike Williams) are extremely talented.

I would not be suprised if a first round pick is not used by the Dolphins on a WR.

I wouldn't be suprised to us go OLine (Vernon Carey) and either QB (Philip Rivers) or Defense (DJ Williams/DeAngelo Hall) in the first round of the draft.

2. FireinCairo

FireinCairo Starter

OG is not on this team. He is a free agent.

3. jbond

jbond Pro Bowler

we desperately need to get a solid WR in the draft or FA. We have NO solid #2 WR which helps kill our passing game (doubling on CC too much while Thompson/whoever can't break free either). That leaves us with dumpoffs, shovelpasses and 3-7 yard slants to our TE's or to Ricky in the backfield....whoopee....

Hopefully we'll wind up with 2 first round picks (say our #20 and maybe #23 if Seattle picks up Ogun). the we can grab Rivers and a good prospect for a solid #2 WR.

We need an Anquan Boldin......a rookie WR, cheap, that can come in and be our #2 guy. Maybe some of the above guys will improve in the next year or two, but we'll have to wait and see.

4. finsnchips

finsnchips 2005 FinHeaven GM League Champion!!

There was talk of him (re)signing for next year.

5. Dolphins17-0

Dolphins17-0 Pro Bowler

we would be foolish not to jump on one of the 1st round receivers, we'd be passing up the chance at a potential star at a need position for us, passing that up for a reach at another position. Carey is a reach at 20 and we can get him later if we want to drop down to do so. The CB class has a lot of question marks since most are undersized. DJ Williams is solid but should go before us, plus we have greenwood and eddie moore currently occupying OLB. Neither of which are old. We can't pass up on one of these wide receivers just because it is a deep wide receiver draft and we have a bunch of average WRs on the roster.

6. Dolphins17-0

Dolphins17-0 Pro Bowler

26 receptions from our number two receiver last year... ew

7. phinphanbill

phinphanbill Well-Known Member

Gadsden is a free agent and McKnight will likely be cut...leaving us three receivers with game experience (Chambers, Thompson and Minnis). But only one that has ever excelled.

And you think we will go LB instead, when we have Greenwood, Moore, Seau, Hendricks and Zach on the team?

The Dolphins need another serious threat on the outside to draw the safeties out of the box and the double coverage from Chambers! A new threat will make everybody (Chambers, McMichael, Konrad, Ricky) all that more effective. And, our new QB is gonna need as many weapons as possible.

I think a WR definitely gets selected in round #1 (and Rivers or Carey are options too if we have two picks via the Ogun situation).

8. Unconquered

Unconquered Well-Known Member

I say get rid off all but Chambers, sign T.O. and draft Rashaun Woods.

9. jbond

jbond Pro Bowler

Just My Humble Opinion

Chris Chambers
    Derrius Thompson (should be cut)
    James McKnight (chould be cut)
    Oronde Gadsden (no resign)
    JR Tolver (keep for another 1-2 seasons on practice squad)
    Sam Simmons (keep - returner / practice squad)
    Kendall Newson (keep - practice squad)
    Snoop Minnis (signed only to see what he may do in the NFLE)
    Ronald Bellamy (who cares)

we should get Jackson from FA, and two of the following 3 in the draft (Evans, Woods, Clayton). That'd give us 4 good receivers to use and keep some around on the practice squad in case of serious injuries.

10. canesandphins1

canesandphins1 Starter

11. jbond

jbond Pro Bowler

WTF.......you mean our Offense might actually do something? What the hell will the rest of the league think? :)

12. LIQUID24

LIQUID24 hi

Chris Chambers may be OUR #1 receiver, but he's not A #1 receiver. He desperately needs someone oppssite of him to take the pressure off.
    There will no doubt be a #1 type receiver available at 20, we have to take one IMO.

13. canesandphins1

canesandphins1 Starter

:jawdrop: amazing we just might move in the new area of football the forward pass

14. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

I think we should keep CC and make Tolver and Simmons 3 and 4 then draft a WR's in the first round. I'd take Reggie Williams if he's there but either Woods, Jenkins or clayton if Williams is gone. DT can be #5 for all I care.

Ozzy rules!!

15. DolphinzD

DolphinzD Boom!! How you like that??

Obviously Chambers stays, Thompson probably won't get cut because he restructured, Simmons should stay because he can return kicks, and maybe stick Tolver on the practice squad. I say good-bye to McKnight, Newson, and Bellamy for sure. Not sure about Minnis yet, and although it would be nice to have Gadsden, can we keep a WR slot for a guy just to catch maybe one third-down pass per game when we already have our supposed "possession" receiver in Thompson? I say we need a big-time rookie WR and/or a FA to throw into the mix.

16. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

thats why i think spielman will have a certain WR targeted and i would almost bet that it will be a chambers like deal where we end up getting Woods or Evans in the second round by dropping out of the first. all depends on Ogun and Fiedler and some other things IMO. Nobody knows bout which way it goes........

17. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

we should get Evans in the first if we get him at all b\c in the combine he rasied himself to a first round pick and Woods did too, noone thought Woods was that fast but he timed pretty good and I heard he's gained weight so now he weighs 202 at 6 ft. 2 in.

18. Dolphins17-0

Dolphins17-0 Pro Bowler

i see what youre saying nick, but look at this:
    Roy Wil
    Larry Fitz
    Mike Wil
    Reggie Wil
    Michael Clayton
    Rashaun Woods
    Lee Evans
    ...all "1st round talents" (might have even missed a couple)
    i find it highly unlikely that these guys all go in the first round.
    it's funny, every year it comes out that so and so is now a first rounder and by the end we have about 50 guys who are first rounders with only 32 picks to be made

19. nick1

you are right about that, there's no way all of those WRs go in the first round, but I still think we should keep both first round picks we will get so that way we can draft the WR we want the most

20. Dolphins17-0

Dolphins17-0 Pro Bowler

i agree, if our guys is htere, take him... if we are debating between woods/clatyon/evans for various reasons... drop down, grab a second rounder and a later first, take who's left at that point, we could still have a choice anyway.

21. nick1

I really don't know which WR we should draft, which WR do you think is best out of the three you just mentioned?

22. Dolphins17-0

Dolphins17-0 Pro Bowler

Everyone used to be high on michael clayton, but i dont even think he'll be the best WR out of LSU, i'm kind of partial to Devery Henderson(maybe thats just cause i made him awesome after i drafted him in Madden LOL). Clayton will need more time to be polished if you ask me, won't contribute as much this season as say Rashaun Woods.

Woods is a nice target to put alongside chambers who will catch most everything thrown his way. My only problem with woods is that i don't see him improving drastically, he may already be at his peak as far as strength and ability goes. He's going to have to improve his knowledge of the game to get better. However, he could probably contribute this year and be solid for years to come.

Evans is a bit of a wild card. I believe he is smaller than woods and people are down on him cause of his past knee injury, but he came back from a knee injury to run a 4.3 - 40 and i don't think hes anymore likely to blow out his knee than anyone else playing football today. If anyone saw him totally burn chris gamble this year then they can vouch for his on-field speed. The other side to this is that evans has publically said that he looks up to chambers (went to HS and college with him) and wants to be as successful as he is. SO we know hed work hard and would be willing to learn from chambers even though chambers isnt exactly a seasoned vet at the position. Also, he would be happier here and the transition would be easier since he'd already know someone.

If it comes down to it, i'm trading down and hoping Woods falls, but if Evans is there and Woods is gone after we traded down, i wouldnt be disappointed with Evans at all.

23. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Manning to Tyree = Best SB Play EVER!!!!

I don't like Newsome. he dropped 2 of the three passes that touched his hands during the season.

24. nick1

After what you said you have convinced me that Evans is a great option for us, so I want us to draft Evans, thanks for the ensight I've never seen any of the three of them play except for Woods in one game, you know all we get here in Florida is FSU, UF, and UM so I don't really pay attention to any other players

25. Bowl_Bound

Bowl_Bound A True Fan

did anyone mention the CC evans connection? They would be great toghether and drive eachother to improve every play. CC may also advance evans more quikly than another wr.

26. nick1

He have to had more balls thrown to him then that?

27. Dolphins17-0

Dolphins17-0 Pro Bowler

couple posts up the connection was mentioned dreadlockera by yours truly

28. Brad528

Brad528 Pro Bowler

I hope the Tolver at least gets in a couple of games this year. We should cut James Mcdrops and let OG go. I think we should leave Bellamy on the practice squad for another year. He is fast and has better hands then JM and **** we let him play for the last couple of years. Give DT another chance and draft a top notch wr to be #2 or #3. We can let SS and Snoop compete for return duties and cut the other.