Wide Receivers Must Step It Up!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin Fan in Cali, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator

The wide receivers must step it up tomorrow for a Dolphin victory! They are the key, and not Ronnie, and I will explain why. The Carolina Defense is good for sure no doubt, however there passing Defense is 20th in the league, and we must attack it like no other! If we do this, the defense must play us honest, then play action pass comes into play the freeze them, and then Ronnie will have more holes to hit because the defense will play back, and then our Oline will step it up tomorrow! What will help us even more if our wide outs can make yards after the catch, then they will have to respect them even more. Plus Gus won't have to worry about having the line stacked.

Let's Go Dolphins!:beerbang:

2. Phinz1972

Phinz1972 Make me a sammich

Great post man, very valid point for tomorrow's game. I've said it a few times already, but Peppers and Ruckers are the two concerns I have. Rather the Panther's secondary is questionable or not, those two guys can prevent Gus from getting a chance to expose their secondary. If we use Randy McMike and Ronnie to help block Ruckers and Peppers(can't focus on one because then other sneaks in), then we will have time to take it to the air and expose their secondary. Booker going long, Chambers running the slants, and Boston getting the short yardage passes should be what we will see...but I'm sure Scott L. and Saban have some good stuff ready for the offense.

3. NaboCane

NaboCane I'm on my comma

Right on.

But not only the WR's - the FB's, TE's and anyone playing H-back must be sure-handed on screens, since they will be key to keeping the Panthers' brutal rush honest.

Otherwise, it's gonna be a long, long day.

4. finsgonewild

finsgonewild Pro Bowler

i want to see chambers do something tomorrow. He hasnt shown me enough this season yet althought the season just started.

5. Fin Fan in Cali

Great post yourself! You may see two tight end sets to try to give Gus protection, then McMichael may slide off into the flat. The running backs, and fullbacks must protect gus at all costs, and not miss picking up any rushers, or blitzers! We can win this!:)

6. Phinz1972

Can Sammy M. and or Heath Evans block good? I ask because I haven't seen much of either when it comes to blocking rushers.

The two TE set you mentioned would be a good way to go..contain the best player on the defense for the panthers...then once he is contained, sneak off and catch a ball for some nice yardage. If we get in 3rd & long situations, we will need to block big time because the panthers will come with the blitz in a heartbeat and Peppers has the speed to do it in a flash.

7. Batman13

Batman13 Go Spartans!!!!

Blocking is probably Sammy's biggest asset. Evans is also an adequate blocker for a FB.

8. Phinz1972

Fin Fan in Cali, when you mentioned the two TE set, who do you think would be the 2nd TE to block? Donald Lee is ok with blocking but he does blow his scheme sometimes, & I haven't seen enough of L. Diamond to go out and say "He will be the blocking TE."

9. Fin Fan in Cali

bro Lee is gone. I think it would be McMichael and Diamond in the set, and I think Diamond would be the surprise to chip block probably Peepers on the way out, and catch a pass in the flat. The reason I say that is that they will be looking for McMichael all day tomorrow, so we have to throw them a curb ball. Just my two cents.

10. Phinz1972

:eek:

Ooops, forgive me, its 1:07am and I've been filling my head with too much knowledge on non-football related things, and the "Lee Cut" news awhile back slipped my mind. Hope nobody else catches that :lol:

11. Fin Fan in Cali

Bro all that you have been through its okay! If anybody gives you any crap, they must go through me first! It's all good! Take care.:)

12. Phinz1972

Since we are on the WR stepping up talk, is there any WR or WRs on the Panthers that concerns you with going up our secondary?

13. Fin Fan in Cali

Smith for sure, and after that I think Colbert. We must clamp down on Smith though, if we don't, and Jake gets hot, it could be a throwing contest.

14. Maynard the Hammer

Maynard the Hammer you are the nail

so you want max protect and throw deep? i can live with that.

im not sure, but i think effective max protect schemes work best with an effective run game

15. Fin Fan in Cali

I would throw another monkey wrench at Carolina. I would flare out Ronnie as a receiver, and let him get a mismatch on defense, and keep Sammy in to protect Gus! If Gus connects, it good be the sign of a great day. Scott the Offensive coordinator, must, I say must keep this defense on there heels as to what is coming next! If he doesn't they will have races to get to Gus, and tear him in half.

16. Fin Fan in Cali

Bro I have thought about this all week. If our receivers just catch the ball, and make 5-6 yards after the catch, then life will become a whole lot easier for Ronnie. They must be unpredictable on what is a throwing down, mix in screens, and play action passes to freeze the linebackers. It's my opinion, if the receivers get there A game on, everything else will come naturally. I could be wrong, but thats the way I see it. I am not a coach, but just a Huge fan!

17. Maynard the Hammer

ive been in agreement with you all week about ronnie needing to get some touches a reciever.

i also agree he need to keep them on their heels, but thats gonna tough. im really afraid of 3 & long early in the game

18. Fin Fan in Cali

If we get into third in long we are playing into there game. If we can gain 3-4 yards on first down whether short pass or run, then we have them right where we want them, because they don't know what will happen on 2nd, and 3rd downs.

19. Phinz1972

No matter who you have on offense, a 3rd & long will pretty much kill you everytime. We've seen some of the third and short downs turn into 3rd and long because of a false start or a holding. If the WRs do as Fin Fan in Cali has said, and the o-line and blockers do a *clean* protection for Gus, we could see some flash of what we saw in the Denver game. Before Ronnie can feel pressure lifted from his shoulders, our throwing game needs to make defenses respect it, that way the ground game can start to open up.

20. Fin Fan in Cali

Agreed! If we don't keep the defense respectful of us, then Ronnie sees 8-9 guys in the box. That is huge for any running back to over come, let alone a top pick rookie.

21. Noland

Noland A True Fan

Can you imagine how good this offense could be. Ricky had 1800+yards in 02 with a offense that run the ball and 1 short pass per posession. With a new OC and Gus Chambers Booker Boston Welker and McMichael you cant get much better. Just learning to play together and a good game plan for a change could make this team better.

22. Fin Fan in Cali

They just need to keep each other hungry, and pumped up to win the motha! Need to get the defensive mentality to go out there and just kick @ss!:beerbang:

23. Fin Fan in Cali

Phinz1972 I have enjoyed the conversation with you! Take care! I am calling it a night! I have some back yard irrigation to do before the game tomorrow, so it will be an early morning!:)

24. Phinz1972

Exactly. At the moment, when we put Chambers and Booker on the field, its man coverage on them...if one of them can start the game off with some great plays, we will see a double coverage on the WR or maybe a change of defensive scheme from the Panthers. The Vikings had Moss to grab attention of the defense and it allowed the run game to get yardage, Eagles have TO and he does the same as Moss, so if we can establish a threat with either Chambers or Booker or Boston or maybe a combo threat with two of them, our running game can produce the runs for 1st downs and some good yardage players with the playaction.

25. Maynard the Hammer

agreed about 3rd and long.

your right. it seems like the plan has been to throw to open the running lanes. they did this against the jets in the 1st possesion, but something happened to the offense after mare missed the field goal.

my main point here is that if you wanna pass so you can run, fine. but if you struggle to pass, your screwed if you play a team like the panthers

26. Phinz1972

Thanks man, likewise. I have to get Amber at 3am because she works 4:30am until 3:30pm, so I will get my sleep before the game when she leaves for work
    ;) Take care and hopefully we will see some of the stuff in the game that we've talked about.

27. Noland

Noland A True Fan

All we need is Gus the Oline and Ronnie to step up and get that refusing to lose attitude then we will be a KC type offense. We already have the defense.

28. Fin Fan in Cali

Like wise Bro!:)

29. Phinz1972

No doubt about that man. We need to come out on our first possesion and get some good yardage and atleast a FG or into the Panthers side of the field with a burning fire shown in our way of playing. Attack their weakness from the getgo which is their secondary and their injured/questionable/proable players in the secondary and they will tighten up with the secondary and we will start to see our running game open up more.

30. Phinz1972

Honestly, if we can get all the kinks out of the offense, we can be way better the KC. KC doesn't really have a threat on the passing game outside of Tony G. and their main base for their offense is running. If we get the running game going and the passing game going, teams won't be able to pinpoint us...we could run the ball with Ronnie & or Ricky, pass the ball to Randy or booker or chambers or boston...short yardage gain with Sammy, etc....

31. Maynard the Hammer

the more i think about the panthers D, the more it sounds like the dolphins d in their hey-day: speedy, two good DEs (taylor, armstrong, wale), rangy MLB (thomas) and the 2 deep coverage that relies on the front 7 to rush the passer

32. GrnMtnMan

GrnMtnMan There's no school like The Old School

If we even managed to smell like KC's jock I'd be dancing in the streets. If we smelled like their jock then we could win our division. Right now people are making Gus beat them and he's 1 for 2. Until he consistently beats teams its going to be an uphill battle.

33. Phinz1972

We have managed to *smell like KC's jock* when we had Wanny...we ran the ball and it was are gameplan. Give it sometime and we will see the combo of KC's run the ball down their throat mentality and the mentality of deep passes and quick hitches in the passing game. You can't do one without the other ;)

34. HybridPHIN 23

HybridPHIN 23 the N E W Dolphilbins

I gots mad respect for the Carolina Corners tho I'd swap with them in a heartbeat.
    Sure Sam is the best but he's 30 something and Howard is a goner anyway.

Ricky Manning Jr. - we all know him from their SB run.
    Ken Lucas - big physical corner ( FA from Seattle )
    ..and the do it all Gamble.

I'm really clueless as to who their safeties are tho !!

35. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG ~LACUNA LEGIONS~

If the Phinz defense can keep this game close, we'll have a chance to win. I'm not expecting us to be able to run the ball against Carolina, but like you said, if we can open up the passing game, our offense should be in decent shape to put points on the board....

Our own defense is going to play a key factor today. If we can limit Smith, and shut down Davis / Foster, we'll have a chance to beat the Panthers....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

36. Fin Fan in Cali

Agreed! Let's Go Dolphins! It's Game Time! Dang that reminds me, I got to go to Rite Aid to get Beer! Later!:beerbang:

37. Fin Fan in Cali

Looks like they are stepping it up. I like the use of Gilmore!

38. Fin Fan in Cali

The receiving Corps has stepped it up today!:beerbang:

39. finsgonewild

finsgonewild Pro Bowler

is boston playing? I havent seen him

40. Fin Fan in Cali

He is playing not getting catches though!