Wildcat is here to stay | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wildcat is here to stay

Phinsfan210

F-I-N-S FINS FINS FINS
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been a lurker around here for a long time and thought it was time to start posting. My first post is going to be my thoughts on the wildcat.
Everyone understands that the Dolphins started the wildcat in the NFL last year but not that many people understand why there the only ones who are getting good mileage out of it this year, as other teams have simply failed at using it for the most part.

Well my belief is that the reason for this is simply that teams look at the wildcat as a trick formation or a gimmick, but the dolphins do NOT. The dolphins look at this formation as just another running formation, just like you can do a draw play, a toss, a dive, etc etc. Well add direct snap to that list. Its part of our running formation, it gives our running game a different look. Also, it gives us a chance to get Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown on the field at the same time.

And just to mention, the wildcat fits in perfectly in the dolphins offense which loves to use misdirection and all kinds of audibles and formations to confuse the defense.

I think why we are able to run the wildcat so effectively compared to other teams starts and ends with Ronnie Brown. He takes that shotgun snap is effectively a QB back there, who has to run the option, audible the play, and make the decision to handoff or hold on to the ball. Ronnie looks comfortable taking the direct snap and having to make all these decisions. He commands the line....He makes that wildcat run...

I think why we are able to run the wildcat so effectively compared to other teams starts and ends with Ronnie Brown. He takes that shotgun snap is effectively a QB back there, who has to run the option, audible the play, and make the decision to handoff or hold on to the ball. Ronnie looks comfortable taking the direct snap and having to make all these decisions. He commands the line....He makes that wildcat run...

I agree with that too. I hope we get ronnie brown a long term extension. In my opinion, he has proven he can stay healthy and when healthy he is a top 5 back in this league hands down.

it's like saying the 5 wr shotgun empty backfield spread offense is a gimmick. when it's just another formation in the offense. And if your players happen to be Dan Marino, Mark Duper, Mark Clayton, Paul Warfield, and whoever, you going to be able to run that offense formation better than if your team is the LSU Tigers from yesterday...lol...go gators!

We run the wildcat better than anyone else because its a fixture of our offense while its a throw in for other teams.

Im sure we put way more work into it than anyone else, and needless to say it shows on the field.

We run the wildcat better than anyone else because its a fixture of our offense while its a throw in for other teams.

Im sure we put way more work into it than anyone else, and needless to say it shows on the field.

Totally. Other teams don't buy into the validity of the wildcat as a standard offensive play like we do. They don't practice it as much as we do.

Back
Top Bottom