Will Gase survive this year?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by montequi, Oct 10, 2017.

1. montequi

montequi Middle Timer

I'm not talking about Gase being fired. First Timmons, now Foerster...5 games into the season and this is enough stress to make some guys quit. If the team doesn't improve and, even worse, if some other shoe drops, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gase resign at the end of the season. Blame would go to Ross and Tannenbaum then.

2. TheWozz

TheWozz FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Sh!t happens... when you're the big chief you deal with it. thats the stuff we hear about. Imagine all the stuff that goes on that we don't hear about.

3. -=DolfanDave=-

-=DolfanDave=- A True Fan

If Gase gives up, he'll look like a quitter in his first NFL head coaching gig, less than two years in. Not going to happen.

gunn34 and Avigatorx like this.
  4. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

This post is ridiculous.

5. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

Not a chance. Yes there have been obstacles, but he can always go back and relive his first season here. How things clicked after he got the guys to buy in. Look at the Giants, yuck. Gase won't run, he will be here until we win it all.

6. evo8904

evo8904 Gase + Cutler = Garbage Finheaven VIP

Nah, he won’t quit, that would destroy his NFL career.

7. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

The only thing that would make Gase quit is if suddenly the FO (T-bum/Grier etc.) became toxic for him. While I'm sure the challenges we've faced thus far this season have tested the "same pageness" of the HC and GM/VP, I doubt it will get close enough to the toxicity that existed with Philbin/Ireland/Aponte etc.

8. JJM_7

JJM_7 A True Fan

LOL.

He'll probably age about 10 years, but he's not quitting.

Coolguy3 likes this.
  9. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

This yr doesn't say he is good coach or bad coach. if Adams does this next yr. I would fire his ***. .he made playoff in 2016. the right thing to do give Adam 4yr as coach of dolphins....

10. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

Gase has got to get a quick moving offense going. Compared to even the Titans, we are just slow. Quick slants, even some bombs thrown, we have to try. Seems like Gase is playing so safe lately. Yes, we won 2 games that way, but we also lost 2. Cutler must thread some passes to partially open receivers.
    Gase wanted Cutler here, I'm not sure Cutler wanted himself here.

11. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

cutler is done in nfl... he need retire. enjoy life. Adam need be real and put cutler on bench...

12. ladeback

ladeback Seasoned Veteran Finheaven VIP

We lost our starting QB. Seems like Gase backed the wrong horse so far, but it still won't cost him his job. Not with the Tannehill injury.

13. Digital

Digital Starter

Coaches often face a wave of adversity. I think this is the early wave for Gase. Sure, we could see the first 5 games as a wave, but coaches are always seeing that. Now, with his QB going down unnecessarily (everyone within the organization knew he should get the surgery last year), bulking up greatly across the LB corps and losing half of that to again have LB woes, then having your 2 OL solutions (Larsen via FA and Asiata via the draft) not contributing, your seam threat solution not have it anymore, having blown your cap on a QB who isn't performing. And now to have our fickle fan base start to turn on you.

Yeah, it's definitely a wave of adversity.

Nevermind that only 2 teams in the NFL are ahead of us in the all-important loss column. Nevermind that our coaching staff has, once again, managed to win 100% of the close games so far this year. Nevermind that we have not yet lost a game at home this year. Sure, the sample size on everything is ridiculously small and not really even worth measuring. And, we have definitely not looked good doing it. But, we've shown that our defense is starting to come together. We've shown that our emphasis on special teams has produced a good product. We've shown that we have the RB to make this offense great ... and if only we had the OL and QB working well we could get the most out of the RB and our talented WR corps.

Will Gase get fired? No. For all of the negativity we throw at Ross, he has shown some self-awareness. Ross knows that he is clueless about football, and that's an important thing to know. So he focuses on what he should focus on ... finding people who do know football and getting their advice. Looking at the processes of the winning teams and not fouling up those processes here. So the good teams give their coaches time to develop. They don't fire a Jimmy Johnson after one abysmal year (they wait until they're on the verge of a dynasty to kill the goose that lays the golden egg!). They give a Mike Tomlin time to grow into the job and find his way without pressure of being fired. They hire coaches with the right mental makeup to weather adversity. They let the coaches coach and stand behind their coaches rather than let the players undermine the coach by going directly to the owner. So no, Ross is not going to fire Gase. While Ross may not be the most competent football guy, at least he realizes that and has learned to give his young coach the time needed to grow.

Will Gase quit? Nothing in his makeup, interaction with the front office, staff, players or media suggests that. Everything he has shown is that he is a fighter who is 100% committed to making our team better. Rightly, he will defend the team from the press if he feels the team is being threatened. But he also knows when to be a straight shooter. He isn't afraid to accept blame when he deserves it, nor is he hesitant to accept blame when it is not his fault but it will help the team to take on the role of scapegoat. He is all about winning, and his strong shoulders are fully capable of taking the strain that comes with the adversity of losing. He is unflinching in his commitment to the team. No, Gase will not quit.

Should Gase go? All of the decision makers recognize the dominos falling against us this season. Injuries to key players, impact of a devastating hurricane in the area, loss of a home game to London, loss of a bye week to that hurricane, probably the most travel miles of any team in the NFL this year, unfavorable schedule, etc., etc., etc. While they're not giving Gase a pass on the season, none of the decision makers is going to advocate getting rid of Gase even if this turns out to be a rough year. But, if we cannot eek out a winning season, it certainly puts more pressure on next year. No, Gase should not go this season or next offseason. He deserves the chance, and has earned the chance, to get 3 full years to make this team a winner.

How will the fanbase fare? Well, this is that time when a beleaguered coach figures out who is with him, and who is simply a bandwagon fan. It's the time when he sees which journalist is buying in to the team's vision, and who is just interested in clickbait and riding the wave of public opinion and controversy as a substitute for analysis and reporting. If I understand Gase, I'd imagine that he is taking copious notes of who has his back, who is treating him fairly in their evaluation, and who is just feasting on our misery right now. I'd also imagine that these notes dictate how he interacts with the media once we start winning again. And we will start winning again.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  14. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

gase learned a ton this season. I think you will see his thumbprint on solving the OL and QB woes. Nothing is certain, and they can't mortgage the team on RT's knee. Create competition at qb for a team that has been mediocre for 22 years or so

15. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Doug Marrone quit.

16. flynryan15

flynryan15 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Is it? Offense stinks! Obvious issues with offensive personnel on the sideline. Players going AWOL. Assistant coach huffing blow in his office before meetings. Said assistant coach videoing the event, while making sexually explicit comments about what he would like to do to a hooker *****. Hooker using the video for revenge and posting it online. Embarrassing the whole organization. He loses a couple in a row with a struggling offense while refusing to make changes to his scheme he is on the hot seat for sure.

Who are we kidding all of the above, Ross will give him an extension and a raise.

17. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

Gase doesn't strike me as a quitter -- that's one thing I feel confident in saying about him. In fact, I'm fairly confident he will get it together in year three when he gets his QB back. I'm just severely disappointed right now.

Avigatorx likes this.
  18. kingfin23

kingfin23 This is the Year

Gase wants to build a winner. He's not going anywhere

19. Ryan1973

Ryan1973 Pro Bowler

He didn't quit, he had an out in his contract and he used it. Big difference.

20. flynryan15

flynryan15 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

People will do anything to get out of Buffalo! Literally they will get in a barrel and row themselves over Niagra Falls to escape Buffalo for Canada. Can we really blame Marone for exercising an out clause to escape the earths butthole?!?!

21. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

You better believe it. Right now he has an owner that likes him and has stood behind him.......to quit now would be a major mistake.

22. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

He'll be here this year and next . . . Minimum

23. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

Agreed. There's no way he doesn't get a minimum three years after inheriting a **** team and taking them to the postseason as a rookie head coach.

Starting to feel like we've all been too hard on him. I mean, some of the issues have been ridiculous (play calling) but look at the cards he's been dealt. I think I'm going to lay off for the rest of the season. This year is a waste by default.

24. gunn34

gunn34 Pro Bowler

Of course he will survive.

25. jessejames123

jessejames123 Scout Team

He's had to deal with quite a bit this year. When most teams starting QB go down in training camp the season is a wash anyway. Not saying you dont do whatever you can to win but I dont know of any others in recent history who have had success for an entire year after their QB went down in TC.

Hes gonna get a pass no matter what happens this year. Thats not even counting the Hurricane, no bye, traveling, Timmons, Mcmillian/Lippett injury, Larsen, Cutler being even worse than he prob expected, now Foerster etc.

They, including him, are going to want to see him and RT together again imo.

Hes gonna be here for awhile. He will take his lumps as a coach too. And will be better for it in the long run.

Ray R likes this.
  26. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

im more worried about the fans quitting than Gase....

finmann likes this.
  27. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Good point. Really a challenging season for Gase and the entire team.

In some ways, this season feels like it hasn't started for Miami. Part of that is the hurricane, being displaced and on the road for the first three weeks. Last week's win was pretty huge for this franchise.

I'm not expecting a major turnaround, but I do think Gase will find a way to rebound. Some positives...the team has looked really good in run defense and better as of late against the passing game. The defense, with a few more additions, could be really good.

It's pretty obvious that Miami needs offensive lineman, and a better tight end. That could happen in one offseason. Plus, McMillan's return will help.

Ray R likes this.
  28. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Though it's doubtful, what if the season turns around for Gase? Gase is not a quitter, and will never leave his 1st HC Job, but everyone around the NFL can pretty much see what is happening to Miami.

What if Miami by some crazy microscopic chance, is able to turn it around with the type of schedule that awaits them...Gase will look like a Coach of the year Candidate, Hell, Gase will win it pulling away easily.

fishfanmiami likes this.
  29. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Reality: Gase having to put up with all of this **** and still somehow winning football games just gives him more leverage going forward for a better contract extension and more say over football operations.

Ray R, tay0365 and fishfanmiami like this.
  30. A500

A500 Active Member

I don't see Gase as the next Nick Saben

31. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

Excellent point......many fan were expecting playoffs this year and were let down once again. My question is, if the Dolphins are going into rebuild mode which I think they will (at least on offense), are fans going to wait another couple of years for this team to be good?

32. BenchFiedler

BenchFiedler Undrafted Pro-Bowler

This team will be special........next year..
    We have the making of a great defense. We will have to wait for Tannehill to come back to give this defense a rest hopefully. There is no defense in the NFL that can hold 4 quarters when the offense is going 3 & out most of the game.

33. randomname

randomname A True Fan

I've been very critical of him this year but you guys are right that you have to give him another year. Heck, if you fired him after this year with all the handicaps he's had to put up with, who's going to want to come in a replace him if they're afraid they're not going to get a fair chance?

I just wish this team would properly rebuild for once. Problem is we have Tannenbaum and he has no idea how NOT to use the entire salary cap on 1 year stopgaps (that probably aren't even good).

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  34. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

Totally in agreement......stop spending money to constantly "fill in" positions and just draft players that fit your scheme (if we have one). I wonder if Jimmy Johnson is the only coach in the league good at trading down in the draft and acquiring multiply draft picks to make a team better quickly, he did it in Dallas and he did it in Miami. Why can't we do that? Why are we so afraid? Take a look at Buffalo who was supposed to be crappy this year, not only do they have a better record than us, but they are loaded with draft pick in the upcoming draft.... if they draft well, they'll be the next dominant team in this division.....look out. At the same time, we've spent a ton of money with nothing to show for it. WTF

35. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Smoking Hole at the Hard Rock Moderator Finheaven VIP

Short answer- Yes

Long answer- Yes

J. David Wannyheimer and Ray R like this.
  36. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater Optimist Homer Finheaven VIP

No way Gase quits, he's got a career to think about and the quickest way to destroy it, outside of sending pictures to strippers of you using drugs, is to quit when the going gets tough.

Also, i don't think Ross will fire him, because he's not that knee-jerk type of owner. Gase deserves a chance to turn the team around the same as Philbin got.

37. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

They beat the Chargers and Matt Cassel. Relax. The team stinks.

38. Despacio

Despacio Pro Bowler

“Ryan’s going to be a beast this year.”

Gase before Ryan went down. This is not the team the man wanted to field. As much hate as a Ryan gets he gave Adam the best chance at winning. This season will always be one that’s trying to be saved, not the foremost example. Every coach needs a good QB to win Championships 99% of the time.

39. Dolphins512

Dolphins512 My Friends Call Me Bob Finheaven VIP Donator

Gase isn't going anywhere

40. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

He had it made in the shade if he just started Moore , mulligan for losing his WB. He probably does survive but Cutler has to reflect poorly on him. That move was all Gase. He can say it's not Jay all he wants but the offense never looked this incompetent under Tannemoore last year.