Will Malarky's offense allow us to still be explosive offense?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by straitg2nite, Jul 24, 2006.

1. straitg2nite

straitg2nite 86' Book em'

Under Linehan our offense play calling was more opportunity based on the fact we went deep alot with Fererrotte. With more talent at the position now...will he now take advantage of that fact

2. popularwar

popularwar Perennial All-Pro

Mularkey isn't known for going deep all the time like Linehan did. He's more known for gadget plays.

3. Montella

Montella Mr. Germany

no, he is more conventional in his offensive playcalls and wants to bring more balance in the offense, so we're not going to see that much long balls as we see last year, there was a article about it, 2 weeks ago with miamis and buffalos medium and deep ball passes...

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/15018796.htm

but i think, we should be fine with the balanced offense and maybe prevent of some mistakes that we did last year...

4. Al13

Al13 Don´t mess with Clint

no offense, but i think as a fan you should know the name of our coaches....

5. icephinfan

icephinfan Dolphins Fan!!!

Yeah, and we know in the 5 yard line were going to run and not throw.:wink:

6. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG ~LACUNA LEGIONS~

I don't think you'll see much difference between the two OC's{Mularkey / Linehan}. Our offense is built strong, and has the firepower to go deep now that we have Culpepper at QB. He's one of the best long ball passers in the league, so I don't see how we'd gameplan any otherwise....

Everyone talks about a balanced offense under Mularkey, but I tend to think we'll be more high flying now that we've added a legit QB....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

7. phinMikeDC

phinMikeDC Third Down RB

Why would you say that? When we were down 23-3 to the Bills last year, Mularkey called a pass play from the Phins three yard line that got picked off that started our comeback.

8. SteelersRule32

SteelersRule32 Member

Malarky will drive you nuts with his play calling. Or at least he drove me nuts when he was the offensive cordinator of the Steelers.

9. feelthepain

feelthepain Banned Hammered

I think Saban will insist he go deep a ittle more often if for nothing more the to soften the D a little and making it eaiser to run the ball. I think Saban likes to run the ball myself.

10. feelthepain

feelthepain Banned Hammered

Was that with both Maddox and Stewart or was it one more then the other??Didn't both QB's have breakout seasons with MM as their OC??

11. thecoordinator

thecoordinator Banned Hammered

all i can say is i hope and pray its not a one man show, becaus if mularky is in charge we're not going to the superbowl EVER

12. icephinfan

But, he wasn't under Saban then either.

13. SWS84

SWS84 A True Fan

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't worried about Malarky and his play calling. It's the one area on the team where I think we may have taken a step backwards instead of forward. Saban hasn't made many mistakes thus far, I hope he didn't make one here.

14. SteelersRule32

SteelersRule32 Member

In 2001 which was Malarky's first year as the Steelers O-cordinator. Kordell did have one of his better years. But nothing to scream about. Kordell had 14 TD's and 11 INT's. I don't remember Kordell's passing yardage from that year off the top of my head. In 2002 the Steelers season and offense started off very bad. Tommy Maddox came in and replaced Kordell at the end of the third game that year. Tommy did have a good year and saved the Steelers offense. In 2003 with Tommy Maddox starting the whole year. The Steelers were very inconsistent on offense and got away from the run. Which isn't Steelers football.

Overall Malarky was an alright O-cordinator but even when the offense had success...Malarky still drove me nuts with his play calling.

15. Funkymonks

Funkymonks The monks are on our side

I think that if saban thinks we need a long ball in a certain sitution, he'll override mularkey. You won't see as many as last year but you will see long balls in better situations, not just throwing it up there to throw it up there

16. TRUDOLFAN54

TRUDOLFAN54 PHINZ4LIFE!!!!

100% agreed...:dolphins:

17. icephinfan

EXACTLY!!!!

18. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral King of the Wild Frontier

As long as the job gets done in an error-free, efficient manner I don't care if they throw up 15 deep balls a game or 1.

19. Aqua4Ever04

Aqua4Ever04 Banned Hammered

I don't think play calling will prevent us from being explosive. The fact is we have play makers, and they will make plays. All Mularky is suppose to do is put them in posistion to make plays, regardless of weather it's a 5 yard out route or a straigh 9 route down the sideline, Chambers will make his plays with Daunte throwing him the ball.

20. lemonpepperfish

lemonpepperfish janitor

if the deep ball is hitting, we'll throw more and more of them. And with daunte's arm being daunte's arm, we'll be hitting 'em.

21. nolimit

nolimit Active Member

No,but he was under Cowher at one point. Seriously, you guys need a dose of reality. Saban is not GOD. If Cowher couldn't help Mularky why do you think Saban can? Mularky sucks!

22. nolimit

nolimit Active Member

Which, unfortunately, is Culpeppers claim to fame.

23. BLITZKRIEG

While in Pittsburgh, the Steelers had one of the NFL's top ranked offensive units under Mularkey. That's all you need to know as far as I'm concerned. Just because he's not head coaching material, and bombed as one in Buffalo, doesn't mean it will happen in Miami....

He's under totally different circumstances, and has far less responsibilities now. There's no need to even compare the two situations. Miami has far more talent than the Bills, and much more stability at the key positions. He was set up to fail from day one in Buffalo, and that's exactly what happened.

If you think Jauron is going to do any better than Mularkey, you're in for a long / painful experiece this year. He's got even less to work with, and the Bills will be lucky to win 5 games in 2006. Just looking at Jauron's coaching record should be enough to make Bills fans cringe at the thought. He's one of the worst HC's the NFL has ever seen. Good luck.....:lol:

PHINZ RULE!!!!

24. BLITZKRIEG

Unfortunate for the rest of the AFC Conference. Man, and to think we could have traded up for Losman a few years back!!!...:rolleyes::lol:

PHINZ RULE!!!!

25. CDNPHIN

CDNPHIN HOME OF THE 1st PLACE LEAFS.

It's true, Mularkey probably cost the Bills more games than he won them.
    He's known for takin' stupid risks at bad times... I DON'T LIKE HIM!

26. PhinsRock

PhinsRock A True Fan

Not worried, an OC is only as good as the guidance he gets from the HC, Saban will keep a tight reign on Mularky, and from the Buffalo game last year I remember Mularky is NOT afraid to go deep, when he sees the right defensive lineup.

27. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Member of the 'Owned! Awards' Commitee

I don't care if we are going deep or not as long as we win:D

28. BLITZKRIEG

Looking at the situation he was thrown into while with the Bills, it's amazing he was able to coach those teams to as many wins as they had. Donahoe was the major weak link in Buffalo, and Mularkey was the skapegoat for Donahoe's failures as GM....

In Miami, Mularkey wont have nearly the same pressures or responsibilities as OC. He's not installing his offense, so the players don't have really that much to learn. He's basically taking Linehan's play book, and changing the names of the plays. Sounds easy enough in my opinion, and I highly doubt that he'll be forced to use his "trick plays" as a means of beating our opponents....

In Buffalo, MM threw caution into the wind a lot, but that was because the Bills offense was always placed in desperate situations where they had to catch defenses off-guard. We wont be forced to do that because of the balance we have, and Mularkey will be a fine coordinator as a result....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

29. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Member of the 'Owned! Awards' Commitee

He's talking about when he was in buffalo, Mularky is better OC than HC

30. PhinFan0202

PhinFan0202 Alriiigghht miaaammi!!!

Another bitter Bills fan. :shakeno:

31. bigmiamifan

bigmiamifan Perennial All-Pro

hahaha. Another intelligent bills fan. Saban is ZEUS (I'm atheist) and Cowher has NEVER had a potent offense. They run, they run, they run and every once in a while throw a LONG FOUR YARD PASS!

GO back to buffalo, or at least improve your NFL IQ before spewing trash here.

32. djphinfan

djphinfan Perennial All-Pro

Fact:Kordell was getting mvp consideration when he was a steeler.
    Maddox was getting hype for turning his career around under the guidance of Mularkey.
    Then he had the great oppurtunity to work with some amazing talent in Kelly Lebrock Holcolmb and the mighty JP Loserman.
    Put them all in a blender and you still don't get a Culpepper Shake.
    Don't be jealous its all good baby, your going to get your quaterback with the first pick of next years draft in Brady Quinn, things are looking up ehh

33. BuffaloBills06

BuffaloBills06 Banned Hammered

Dude these guys wont listen to you. We have been telling these guys for months that his playcalling sucks

34. Mr772

Mr772 Pro Bowler

Mularky is like Norv Turner he sucks as a head coach but is a pretty good as a coordinator.

35. Alex44

Alex44 Chicago Bears GM

Doesnt matter how many you throw, it matters how many you complete

If we show the ability to complete deep passes im sure we will throw a lot, if we dont show that ability than we probally wont throw as many

36. G-Force

G-Force Hall Of Famer

That frachhise is too STUPID to draft Brady. I hate to see them ruin the kids carreer if they do slip up and get him. I really like Brady Quinn.

37. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran bad spelur

and we've been listening..ad naseum...when Linehan made Nick unhappy he was pulled down to the sidelines...Malarkey will get the same treatment if Nick doesn't like the play calling. Don't worry your wooly little heads, WE will be just fine...worry about Dickie...WE'LL worry about Nick and Mikey...

38. G-Force

G-Force Hall Of Famer

:sidelol:

39. jbond

jbond Pro Bowler

I'd say "pretty good" is giving Norv some credit so hopefully MM does better. Norv's godlike status came from being on a team that had awesome talent in the years of no salary cap. He's not as good as everyone tries to make him, imho.

40. PhinFan0202

PhinFan0202 Alriiigghht miaaammi!!!

There is a difference between you telling us and him telling us. You're bitter because it didn't work out for Malarkey as a head coach so you bash him every opportunity you get. I could care less what he did as a head coach but as a coordinator you can't argue with the results.