Will Miami be in salary cap hell in 2014 ?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Miami be in salary cap hell in 2014 ??

fisi

Active Roster
Reaction score
So, last week Jeff Ireland dramatically changed the Dolphins roster with a handful of key moves. Gone are veteran leaders Jake Long, Reggie Bush, Sean Smith, Karlos Dansby, and Kevin Burnett. In comes Dannell Ellerbe, Philip Wheeler, Dustin Keller, and crown jewel Mike Wallace.
Most noted in the additions is the very low 2013 cap hits they have, very quickly followed with how large of a 2014 cap hit they have (such as Wallace’s $15 mil base salary).
I’ve seen numerous fans worrying that Miami will be in salary cap hell as a result of these deals. Rather than wonder and worry, I decided to look into it for all you die hard Phin fans who are just as worried about the future of this franchise as you are 2013.
First, we have to take into account that the 2013 cap is $123 million before carry over (teams are allowed to carry over unused cap space if they choose to). 2014 should be at least that much if not more. http://finnation.com/cap-hits-miami-salary-cap-hell-2014/
Second, who isMiamiprojected to lose as free agents? The current free agents are slated to be:

• Paul Soliai
    • Randy Starks
    • Dustin Keller
    • Richie Incognito
    • Chris Clemons

• Davone Bess
  • Reshad Jones
  • Dan Carpenter
  • John Denney
  • John Jerry
  • Koa Misi
  • Nolan Carroll

Third, with the players currently under contract, Miami’s 2014 cap hit is presently slated to be $75.57 mil plus whatever Miami signed WR Brandon Gibson to (details yet to be released). This means the Dolphins are projected to have just over $47 million in cap space (minus Gibson’s cap hit). That number could be increased dramatically by working with the deals for these players:

• Matt Moore: $4 mil. Devlin could be ready to be the back up at that point.
  • Richard Marshall and Dimitri Patterson: both at $5.3 mil.
Outside of that, Miami is spending their money on Wallace, Ellerbe, Wake, Wheeler, Hartline, Fields, and Pouncey. Everyone else is making less than $1 million. In the space of two offseasons Ireland has made this a very young and cheap team that, believe it or not, has a lot of drafted players on it.
These players aren’t receiving a ton of recognition… yet. Hopefully Philbin and company can continue to coach these guys up and, with added play makers in the 2013 draft, this team will start to impress all of us again.
Join us on our message board and share your thoughts at FinNation Forums
Join us on Twitter at @FinNation

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no cap-oligist but I say who cares. a lot of those free agents coming up I'd rather see walk. maybe we replace some of them on the cheap in the draft.

The FO has handled this FA period amazingly, everything is set up, Miami is going to be good for a very long time if Tannehill progresses

I keep hearing reports that we're somewhere around 15-20 mil under the cap for next year...not 100 percent sure though so don't quote me on that.

How far can than crystal ball of yours see before it is too hazy? I figured 2014 would be good, but I was wondering about 2015 and on. Obviously, Miami has set themselves up to have many choices to make within the next 2 years as to who they re-sign and who they let go. Many players have a year or two here to prove they deserve being re-signed for big money.

Carpenter needs to be consistent again to be re-signed. John Jerry and Incognito need to impress. I can't see us keeping both Starks and Soliai, although I would love that. I'm guessing it's which ever player has the better year, but if they're both solid I would love to see them each get a couple more years.

I'm surprised Matt Moore re-signed with us, but happy. I thought for sure he would look for a starting gig. Maybe next year.

I love Bess, but I don't see him sticking around next year if our other receivers do well. He's been a favorite player of mine since I saw him in Hawaii.

I thought the 1 year deal for Keller was a good move. It will cost if he shines this year, but that means he earned it anyways.

Yeah I read in another thread that we were close to 20 million under the cap for next year and we still have some of the most money available to spend this year (besides teams like the bills and browns). The media blows everything out of proportion.

Let's worry about this season before we worry about next season.

And
nickoffermanpopnlock-1.gif

its three years or bust, thats what we have been setting up for

according to most 'capologists', no. the way it's manipulated by today's team economists, contract constructors and bean-counters… hell can wait.

We will be ok. Hopefully we are looking to just tweak a few positions next off-season

Resign
rashad jones middle of season for 4-5 mil a year
Whoever is cheaper soliai or starks(around 7 mil)
Clemons if he plays well will come fairly cheap (2-3 million)
Misi and carrol should be cheap, they are both nice role players (6 mil combined)

Draft a TE to replace Keller, draft soliai or Starks replacement, let bess walk and draft either Austin or swopes. Determine whether Jerry comes back based on if he plays well and see incognitos contract demands would like him back but we'll see how much he asks for either way you spend around 20 mil resigning free agents and have a nice 20 mil to play with in free agency

Back
Top Bottom