Will the field condition at Hard Rock Stadium improve? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will the field condition at Hard Rock Stadium improve?

marino2duper73

Active Roster
Reaction score
I watched the game last week vs the Falcons, and tonight's game vs the Ravens.

I am concerned about the condition of the grass and surface at home.

1. I've reviewed footage of the practice field outside (obviously not the bubble), and it does not appear to be in as fragile shape as the stadium's surface.

2. I understand the humidity and moisture saturation that exists in south Florida, however I have never seen such weak-rooted grass on an NFL field, with the exception of Levi Stadium in SF.

Here's my question...and I especially appreciate the feedback from those who've actually been to the stadium and/or practices to see these conditions.

What is the exact issue, and is the team surface crew doing a good enough job,?

Considering the field has been an issue for a few seasons now..

- A Fin Fan in Sacramento

Been awhile (2 years), but I'm glad to be back here on FH!

It's a patchwork stadium. The engineers weren't going to get everything right. That was an absolute guarantee. I posted it as soon as the plans were announced several years ago.

The air circulation is very poor. Spectators are fanning themselves throughout the stadium and especially in the lower bowl end zones. The breeze, if any, simply doesn't get there. But the cameras don't show that aspect so fans watching on television don't understand the issue exists. Last season it didn't start lessening until the weather cooperated beyond mid October.

Problems with field condition were less predictable. I thought there would be some troubled areas but not anything close to this degree. Keep in mind we haven't reached the doubleheader weekends when both the Canes and Dolphins play at home. I haven't checked the schedule this time. Hopefully there aren't too many of those. I have season tickets to the Canes. Last year there was a sod crew at those games that ran out onto the field during every time out to replace as many chunks as possible. The Dolphins obviously receive the worst of it as the followup game.

It's amusing to read so many complaints about the field on this forum simultaneous to Dock Stockton and Crew never spotlighting it at all and Tom Garfinkel interviewed during the third quarter while gushing about the caliber of our stadium and its 30 year extended lifespan.

BTW, Dock was intentional. This site doesn't approve of that first name.

They're playing on the same turf used for El Clasico. It has to be very soft and be able to give to protect the soccer players. It looks like they cut it razor thin for the football game though. There isn't a long enough growing period to have some good teenage grass mat its root system together.

Install field turf and be done with it.

It's a patchwork stadium. The engineers weren't going to get everything right. That was an absolute guarantee. I posted it as soon as the plans were announced several years ago.

The air circulation is very poor. Spectators are fanning themselves throughout the stadium and especially in the lower bowl end zones. The breeze, if any, simply doesn't get there. But the cameras don't show that aspect so fans watching on television don't understand the issue exists. Last season it didn't start lessening until the weather cooperated beyond mid October.
I've never been a tape guy on watching fans reaction to South Florida mid August temperatures. I do know that the Dolphins used to hand out those cardboard fans before the remodel and they were being used a lot by the fans. I didn't receive one last September while sitting in the lower section. It was shaded so I didn't really need it though because the temp was lower inside than previous years. If I was a gambling man I bet your odds of being cooler would be increased if you didn't purchase the same seats in the stagnant heat zone you described.

Back
Top Bottom