Will the Miami Dolphins pick up DeVante Parker’s option? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will the Miami Dolphins pick up DeVante Parker’s option?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
God, I hope not. I know the kid has talent and if we let him go he will probably blow up somewhere else, as that is what happens with this team. But he has woefully under performed with the Dolphins and with the state of the team I don't think it will get any better.

parker2.jpg

DeVante Parker was supposed to have a breakout season.
He was supposed to be a monster. He was supposed to be a Pro Bowler. He was supposed to dominate the NFL.
Yeah, so, not of that happened.
Instead, Parker had less catches and less yards and less touchdowns and, in general, folks have less patience for Parker’s potential.
A former teammate of Parker once said that at a certain point you have to stop talking about his potential.
http://dailydolphin.blog.mypalmbeac...iami-dolphins-pick-up-devante-parkers-option/

I think it will be considered...I mean a long-term contract could be worked out on the cheap...maybe go that route.

Depends on how he plays this year.

The option has to be picked up by April 30th of this year I believe.

Obviously they pick it up knowing they can rescind it before 2019, but there is risk since it is guaranteed for injury and DvP ain't the healthiest dude on the block.

What would it cost?

first-round players have a fifth-year team option included in the deal, which would add a year to the player’s time with his club while paying him an average of either the top ten players at his position (top ten draft pick) or an average of the top 25 players at his position (picks 11 through 32).

People are letting their personal dislike for Parker cloud their judgement. If there was a 25 year old receiver who was 6'3 and averaged 56 receptions the past two seasons on the free agent market what would you be willing to pay him? I'm sure it's more than what Parker is scheduled to make during his 5th season, which is still two seasons away. Parker has more receptions and more yards in 2017 and 2016 than Rishard Mathews had in 2015 and everyone not only wanted to keep Mathews but wanted to break the bank if needed to keep him. Of course Parker is a 1st round pick and Mathews was a 6th, but sometimes people let expectations out way production. I'm saying if Player A is playing below expectations at 56 receptions and 700 yards and Player B is playing above expectations at 56 receptions and 700 yards why would you be willing to pay a lot for player B and pay nothing for player A. Now when Parker's rookie deal expires you might not give him a max deal for his second contract based on his play so far, but he's still been a player you would want on the roster if the price is right.

I admit I'm bias and firmly believe if Landry does leave Parker will help fill that void and put up nice numbers with a healthy qb and an expanded role in the passing game.

Player A had a screw in his foot and always has Lower body issues. If he isn’t going to be healthy we are wasting money no matter how good he is when healthy.

People are letting their personal dislike for Parker cloud their judgement. If there was a 25 year old receiver who was 6'3 and averaged 56 receptions the past two seasons on the free agent market what would you be willing to pay him? I'm sure it's more than what Parker is scheduled to make during his 5th season, which is still two seasons away. Parker has more receptions and more yards in 2017 and 2016 than Rishard Mathews had in 2015 and everyone not only wanted to keep Mathews but wanted to break the bank if needed to keep him. Of course Parker is a 1st round pick and Mathews was a 6th, but sometimes people let expectations out way production. I'm saying if Player A is playing below expectations at 56 receptions and 700 yards and Player B is playing above expectations at 56 receptions and 700 yards why would you be willing to pay a lot for player B and pay nothing for player A. Now when Parker's rookie deal expires you might not give him a max deal for his second contract based on his play so far, but he's still been a player you would want on the roster if the price is right.

I admit I'm bias and firmly believe if Landry does leave Parker will help fill that void and put up nice numbers with a healthy qb and an expanded role in the passing game.
The problem is we've all seen him play. Those other players we see the stats and say pretty good. With Parker, we know the stats don't tell the whole story. They don't show his unwillingness to fight for the ball, show him shy away from contact, and not maximize his God-given ability.

Yeah I am letting my personal opinions on this issue "get in the way" I'm afraid. The problem is that I have seen all of the major players in the conversation about the wide receiver room and who should and should not be kept in action. First, let me say that I am not naive. I know that the issues of picking up Parker's option and paying Landry somewhere near what he and his agent are after are two different conversations entirely. The problem with this narrative is that I see far FAR too many people having a problem with paying Jarvis because he is a slot receiver. Meanwhile, Devante (because of his draft position and where he lines up on the field) should be maintained and utilized more because he is our #1. Yet in my opinion, Parker (while he has shown flashes of brilliance) does not come close to showing the heart and passion that Landry has given us while playing for this team. Landry and Stills are both very good receivers IMO. While neither could be considered "Great" at this point in their respective careers, both would be very valuable to Tannehill and/or any young QB that we may draft. Grant has shown that he can be dangerous, but based on what I have seen from Caroo and Parker's lack of productivity up to this point, he is going to need both Stills and Landry to maximize the mismatches that he can create on the field. The point being: Yes, Parker is technically our "number one receiver" and Yes, I understand that Landry's asking price for a "slot receiver" is high, but the fact is that I wish that more than a few on this board would show nearly the passion and sentiment for keeping a player with Jarvis's heart and passion and what he has given to this team, as they do for retaining someone like Parker, who up to this point has been inconsistent and has shown a lazy work ethic to be blunt. The fact that so many here seem to believe that Parker and Caroo can magically transform into something that they haven't been up until this point in the wake of Landry's absence is mind-boggling to me. I will always support the team before any one player and I am definitely not advocating paying Landry a king's ransom, but IMO if we let him walk without at least making a REAL attempt at finding some middle ground then we are making a HUGE mistake.

Landry had more touchdowns this past season than Parker
has had in the previous 3 years...LET THAT SINK IN

42 Games and Parker has 8 tds

Back
Top Bottom