Will we ever use a premium pick on a RB? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will we ever use a premium pick on a RB?

Kebo

I'm your huckleberry
Club Member
Reaction score
I wanted Jonathan Taylor. I wanted Javontae Williams. We never go high for a RB. This year I want Charbonnet. I am also looking forward to seeing Spears play in the Senior Bowl.

Might we?

I'd say, "yes".

Will we?

Maybe. I think that this regime has a pretty strong set of beliefs about value, and rarely wavers from that.
Each year, we hear rumours that this or that player was on our board, but was selected before we were comfortable making the pick.

This year, I think they'll take Gibbs if he's there @2, or Charbonnet @3, or even @2 if they're sold on him. There are others that they might take a look at farther down.

I want to bring up Edmonds. Yes, he was a failure, but I think that what most thought he would be... shows what we are really looking for. The book on Edmonds was that he was as much of a receiver as a running back, and that he ran with some power, but was not solely a power-back... then he got here and just couldn't figure out which hole to hit... wasn't a sure-handed as he had been previously... and just stunk it up so badly we were forced to move him.

A FA that bombed on his new team, it happens, but his style of play is what I want to focus on. McCaffrey is the same sort of back, and it's telling that SF spent some serious capital upon him. I think a zone-blocking scheme needs a quick RB with hands... but not so light as he wont be able to pick up 3rd and 1.

Again... I think there are 3 or 4 other RBs that we might look at on day 3, as well as a few like McBride whose stone hands make him unlikely, or Achane who is too small to be more than a complementary piece.

If we can find a 1A type of back on the third day, then we'll pay almost nothing against the cap for 4-5 years of play... so I still think that we'll weigh that against reaching on day 2.

I’m with you on Charbonnet. The draft is so deep at CB I’d probably bet that’s the pick in round 2. Hoping Charbonnet is there in the 3rd.

My RB wish list…

1 Charbonnet
2 McIntosh
3 Kareem Hunt
4 Samaje Perine
5 Tyjae Spears

I'm on the Charbonnet band wagon because I think he's exactly what Miami needs. Jones is my later round back.

Achane if he drops a little and if the Dolphins don't resign Mostert.

I don't see why Mostert would not be back, there should be mutual feelings for him to stay.

Not sure about Wilson, he had his moments and i would not mind him back.

I can't see either of them being very expensive.

So you could look around for a cheap Vet to add in FA or Draft one.

I would not want to use the 2nd rounder on a RB but I would be fine using one of the 3rds depending on who is there.

I also would be on board with trading down from their 2nd rounder to add more middle round picks(again, depending on who is on the board)and that would make it even easier to grab a RB.

This certainly is a very strong class at that position.

RBs selected Last year:
2nd round, 3 were selected
3rd round, 3
4th, 5
5th, 5

2021:
1st round, 2
2nd, 1
3rd, 1
4th, 3
5th, 0 (1 FB)

RBs fall a lot farther than some people think. Over the last 2 years, only a total of 10 RBs were taken on the first 2 days of the draft.
Yes... it varies from year to year, and Yes, some of this is based on the quality of the crop, but the numbers are also affected by the low value of the position.

Could we select a guy in the third round or below and still get a starter? Very possibly.

RBs selected Last year:
2nd round, 3 were selected
3rd round, 3
4th, 5
5th, 5

2021:
1st round, 2
2nd, 1
3rd, 1
4th, 3
5th, 0 (1 FB)

RBs fall a lot farther than some people think. Over the last 2 years, only a total of 10 RBs were taken on the first 2 days of the draft.
Yes... it varies from year to year, and Yes, some of this is based on the quality of the crop, but the numbers are also affected by the low value of the position.

Could we select a guy in the third round or below and still get a starter? Very possibly.
This RB class is generally considered to be a lot deeper than the last 2. They still might fall, but unlike the last 2 years, a 3rd or 4th is going to get a quality back. Great year to take one on day 2 or early day 3.

Back
Top Bottom