William Hayes contract situation | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

William Hayes contract situation

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
If he is willing to any reduction in salary, I would like to see him on the team next year. I know he is not get any younger, but he performed well.

The Dolphins so far have given no indication if they want to re-sign impending free agent defensive end William Hayes. Miami might try to sign him after free agency starts if they can get him back at a reduced rate.
Hayes, 32, was an asset when healthy, ranking 18th overall among defensive ends this season and fifth against the run, according to Pro Football Focus.
He was placed on injured reserve with a back injury on Nov. 27 and ended the season with 19 tackles and a sack in 10 games.
Hayes would have been under contact next season if Miami hadn’t agreed to his request to rip up the last year of his contract.
In return, Hayes’ salary for 2017 was lowered from $5.5 million to $4.7 million but Hayes received a $2 million signing bonus.
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article193816064.html

That sounds like miamis looking for a strong side that can also play in tbe nickel

If it’s the draft that sure sounds like tremaine Edmunds to me.

Unless they are moving Raekwon which I’m seriously doubting

Also sounds like kikos a 2018 plan a

That sounds like miamis looking for a strong side that can also play in tbe nickel

If it’s the draft that sure sounds like tremaine Edmunds to me.

Unless they are moving Raekwon which I’m seriously doubting

Also sounds like kikos a 2018 plan a

Kiko as any plan A isin’t all that encouraging. Funny Hayden txted me a few hours ago and mentioned Edmunds.

Hayes is a free agent and one of the highest rated on the market. He didn't play well.....he played great. He isn't going anywhere cheap. His run stopping grade was in the 90's and he has always been and effective pass rusher.

I was impressed with what Hayes showed this year. One of the bright spots was his play, IMHO. We acquired him for nothing, he wasn't a media circus, he did exactly what he was projected to do--solid run defense and solid pass rush as a strong side DE mostly on early downs. Yes, he got injured and is old, but I'd definitely bring him back. When you have reasonably priced solutions, you don't throw them away, especially when your defense is subpar.

Let's not lowball this guy, he delivered as advertised. That's rare for newly acquired vets these days.

We have nobody on the roster who is as stout against the run therefore we would be stupid not to bring him back.

I highly doubt he's back...we have Phillips,GodChaux & Vincent Taylor to rotate....GodChaux seems very promising.

he will demand something in the 3-5 million range per year we don't have the cap for it.

I highly doubt he's back...we have Phillips,GodChaux & Vincent Taylor to rotate....GodChaux seems very promising.

he will demand something in the 3-5 million range per year we don't have the cap for it.
As promising as those young DT’s are we still need a capable DE that can set the edge.

Restructure Suh and make it work.

As promising as those young DT’s are we still need a capable DE that can set the edge.

Restructure Suh and make it work.

Our dline didn't set the world on fire with Hayes...the whole dline was underwhelming I don't want him back unless it's very cheap.

Restructure Suh...Get O-Line or a LB or pay Landry.

Hayes was a nice addition. He was a force against the run, which is much needed with our reliance on smaller, quick DEs. I'd love to see him return if the back checks out and the belief is that he still has gas in the tank at 32. The good news is that his type of game holds up pretty well against Father Time - Id sign him for two years with an easy out in the third.

Kiko as any plan A isin’t all that encouraging. Funny Hayden txted me a few hours ago and mentioned Edmunds.

Edmunds is very good. In the bowl game I was focusing on Tim Settle because defensive tackle is my favorite position. But Settle showed up so fat and out of shape to that game he wasn't doing much of anything. So I switched to watching Edmunds. That is not a second round player. I don't know why some posts here recently have Edmunds slipping to us in the second round. I'd be very surprised at that, unless he flops the combine.

Edmunds is more explosive going forward than either Roquan Smith or Rashaan Evans. He reminds me of some of the missiles that Atlanta has drafted recently on defense.

I thought William Hayes was a pretty good addition and we missed him after he went on IR. BTW - he doesn't come cheap. He's still good at setting the edge and teams pay for that.
I agree. based on what he can do setting the edge, Miami would be wise to re-sign him.
I hope we can acquire another player like him, he was one of the best additions overall last year

Hayes is a free agent and one of the highest rated on the market. He didn't play well.....he played great. He isn't going anywhere cheap. His run stopping grade was in the 90's and he has always been and effective pass rusher.

Yet he only averaged 42% of the defensive snaps
you'd think such a great player would have received
more playing time

It also seems Gase like is intrigued by Grant and his versatility. It's taken a while, but as far as I know, Grant is the only guy we have that can play all of the WR positions. Laundry really isn't an outside guy and doesn't seem like a real deep threat out there. I hope we see more of Grant. IMO, the guy has the IT factor and can really help us.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom