With all this qb talk, what made MARINO slip so far? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

With all this qb talk, what made MARINO slip so far?

TheFallOfTroy54

Starter
Reaction score
i never really thought about it, but for those of you that know or were around, what made marino slip so far in the draft? why wasnt he a top 5 pick? just curious

oh and after watchin Leinart again today, im sold on that he sucks, Drew Olson though, for some odd reason i like the guy

First post in a while, so Hi Ya'll...

As I recall, Marino slipped in the draft because there were rumors of drug use.

Prjman

Prjman said:
First post in a while, so Hi Ya'll...

As I recall, Marino slipped in the draft because there were rumors of drug use.

Prjman

Yep, that was it.

I think that there were some unfounded rumors that he was into coke and that he was difficult to coach.

Bet the Jets, who took Ken O'Brien and the Chiefs, who took Todd Blackledge, were kicking themselves for the next decade about missing out on Marino.

There were also 5 other QB's that were considered top prospects (Elway and Kelly among them.) Since there were some doubts about him, he lasted till the 27th pick where any other year he doesn't make it out of the top 10.

TheFallOfTroy54 said:
i never really thought about it, but for those of you that know or were around, what made marino slip so far in the draft? why wasnt he a top 5 pick? just curious

oh and after watchin Leinart again today, im sold on that he sucks, Drew Olson though, for some odd reason i like the guy

Anyone who saw the cannon that Dan Marino displayed in college can't be amazed at all the passing records he established in the NFL. What is surprising is that five teams thought they were selecting a better quarterback than Marino in the 1983 draft. With the Miami Dolphins picking late in the first round, they didn't even work out Marino, part of the Quarterback Class of '83 that is recognized as the finest in history. Coach Don Shula didn't give the University of Pittsburgh quarterback much thought. "I never dreamed we'd get a shot at him," he said.
clear.gif
[size=-2]Dan Marino had one of the greatest seasons ever in 1984.[/size]

But when he still was available at No. 27, Shula picked Marino, disregarding the rumors of his drug use (never proven) and his throwing more interceptions (23) than touchdown passes (17) in his senior season. "When he was there," Shula said, "I wasn't about to let him get away."

With his golden arm and lightning-quick release, Marino became the most prolific passer in NFL history - the all-time leader in touchdown passes (420), yardage (61,367), completions (4,967) and attempts (83,58) when he retired on March 13, 2000 after 17 seasons. The 6-foot-4 quarterback set up in the pocket and dared defenses to stop him.

"You were basically at Dan's mercy," said Ronnie Lott, the Hall of Fame defensive back. "All the great ones see the game so quickly that when everybody else is running around like a chicken with his head cut off, they know exactly where they want to go with the ball. It's like they see everything in slow motion."

In his second season in the league, No. 13 made it look like a game of two-hand touch. Two records he set were especially staggering: 48 touchdown passes and 5,084 yards...

Link:

http://espn.go.com/sportscentury/features/00016179.html

TheFallOfTroy54 said:
damn he had 23 ints and 17 tds his senior year? wow, thats terrible

A lot of the better Pitts plays graduated a year before Marino. He was real good his junior year.

Back
Top Bottom