With cap issues looming, five Dolphins under particular pressure this season

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Sep 7, 2017.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article171718682.html

2. Snoop

Snoop Well-Known Member

3. Snoop

Snoop Well-Known Member

I'm definitely cutting Maxwell and Pouncey. Julius is 50-50 right now on returning, let's see how he performs now that he's back with Gase. Cam Wake would have to have an abysmal year for Miami to even consider letting him go, and that won't happen. Juwan James needs to step up his play if he wants to earn $9M next year.

rickd13 likes this.
  4. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Maxwell, James, Thomas and Pouncey would essentially add $32M in cap space. And I can see Tannehill restructuring to help save some cap space. I don't see any other way to add more. Wake shouldn't even be a consideration unless he absolutely loses his ability. It's shaping up to be a bargain hunt type of off-season in 2018. The Tannehill injury and subsequent Cutler signing hurt to a degree what Miami can do.

jnozag likes this.
  5. greasyObnoxious

greasyObnoxious I love lamp Finheaven VIP Donator

the writing's been on the wall. ever since we gave Suh the big contract and extended Tannehill, this team needed to start hitting in the draft. or in other words, needed to be run like any other successful franchise

6. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Deja vu looks like we may be rebuilding the offensive line
    again and again...will we ever get it right?

Marino1313 likes this.
  7. jnozag

jnozag Well-Known Member

this^

I think the main draft focus next year is OL. 2 of first 3 picks will be OL. Probably a TE too.

8. <O>

<O> Well-Known Member

Trading Tannehill for two second-round picks would be a mistake. Second-round picks are less likely than not to become long-term starters in the league.

9. <O>

<O> Well-Known Member

With that being a five-player unit, the largest on the field, it's impossible to stock that unit with talent across the board unless a team neglects some other part of the starting roster. Teams simply have to live with about average-level play from that unit and try to overcome it with talent elsewhere.

This is why there isn't much variation in offensive line play throughout the NFL. There is no team that's willing to put excessive resources into that area, and extremely good or bad offensive line play happens for teams more by accident than by design.

For every third-round Dallas Thomas-like pick who flops like Thomas, there is one who plays well. The team that got Thomas was unlucky. The team that got the guy who played well was lucky. The latter team has a better player on the offensive line than the former team, but there still isn't much variation in that area throughout the league, certainly nowhere near as much as there is in other areas of the starting roster.

10. greasyObnoxious

Getting Dallas Thomas in the 3rd round wasn't bad luck but ineptitude.

DKphin likes this.
  11. <O>

<O> Well-Known Member

The percentage of third-round picks who become long-term starters in the league is well below 50, and I'm not sure there's a team out there that's significantly better than any other at bettering that mark. If not, it's a crap shoot, and luck rules the day.

12. Jimi

Jimi The World Is Yours

Ya but what are the odds that a 3rd round pick is so bad that he costs you years of your life just from having to watch him?

Greer17, HeavenCent and DKphin like this.
  13. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

I don't even know how to approach this nonsense.

roeky, mfish41, WCUPUNK and 3 others like this.
  14. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

Two 2nds for T-Hill and 1st & 3rd for Landry, yeah I could fix a wholelotta holes on this team provide Cutler plays like an All-Pro and Landy forces a trade without any D/V baggage

15. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

What the lack of cap space in 2018 and the limited options mentioned in the article, I can understand the rumors surrounding Jarvis Landry. I remain hopeful Miami will be able to sign him to a long term deal. We'll soon find out. The luck of having found O-Linemen, Eric Smith, Jake Brendel, Anthony Steen, In UDFA over the last 2 years will help cap wise, especially, "IF" they develop into starters and or solid backups, for 2018. This cap situation for at least 2018 puts an enormous emphasis on hitting on the teams 2018 draft selections. They are in a bargain hunting position next year. But I am nervous about the D-Line moving forward at the DE position. If Charles Harris doesn't develop another DE will need to be drafted high.

16. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Maxwell is almost certainly a goner. The team has two young players in Lippett and Tankersley ready to replace him.

I know the front office loves Pouncey, but that's too much to pay for someone with his career injury rate. Not a huge fan of James, but I think if Pouncey goes the team will hold onto James. That would be too many changes on an offensive line that still isn't complete to begin with.

The thing with Pouncey is that you don't replace his talent very often in free agency, so that would likely have to be a high draft pick. Miami isn't set there with a quality backup plan.

Thomas is interesting, but certainly someone who was very unimpressive in preseason. If he plays well, Miami may keep him. Long-term, you just know Gase would love to find a young, playmaker at tight end.

17. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

I'm hopeful they'll figure out what to do with Pouncey, James and the cap. Things are getting real tight. If Tannehill is open to a restructure, that be extremely helpful. But I'm not expecting a F/A bonanza.

18. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

Cap issues are the most overhyped aspect of the NFL. Money can easily be moved around.

fishfanmiami likes this.
  19. greasyObnoxious

Not at all?

20. traptses

traptses Starter

This team has more starting 5th round picks than they do 1st round picks. Every round is essentially a crap shoot.

If our staff feels that Tannehills knee concerns aren't worth an $18 million guarantee, I'm all aboard trading him for picks that may or may not help our future

21. Finsfan1984

Finsfan1984 Seasoned Veteran

My take...
    Maxwell gone, Thomas gone, James gone, Pounced gone, and Cam comes back.

22. <O>

<O> Well-Known Member

Yes it is. Even first-round picks have but about a 50% chance of becoming long-term starters in the league.

I agree, but now you're illustrating primarily a financial concern, and not a talent concern (i.e., whether the talent traded for will equal the talent traded), and you're unlikely to find a suitor for a trade of much value when you yourself don't believe he's healthy enough to warrant his salary.

23. Snoop

Snoop Well-Known Member

So we blow up the OL .... works for me.

Finsfan1984 likes this.
  24. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

If OC Jake Brendel, OT Eric Smith, and OG Jesse Smith develop the Dolphins will have a core of young, cheap, incredibly athletic UDFA O-Lineman.

Did I mention cheap?