With Hartline re-signing...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by fanfin, Mar 5, 2013.

1. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

how do you think this will effect the rest of FA and the draft? I think we still make a run at Wallace and or Jennings. In the draft if we got Swope and Justin Hunter our WR's would be stacked. Wallace/ Jennings, Hartline, Swope, Hunter, Bess, Matthews.... What do u think?

2. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

That is a total madden scenario man. But I believe we still go after Wallace/Jennings with Hartline too.

Then I'd guess one receiver thru the draft before round 3 or before, depending on who is signed. and possibly one later.

*just saw Bowe's deal. Man, we are really gonna have to shell it out if we want Wallace

3. ohall

ohall A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

I'm not sure why anyone would think us re-signing Hartline would stop us from going after Wallace or Jennings, or even sign both of them. Just because a contract is worth 6-7 million on AVG per year this doesn't mean that's what the cap hit will be for the 1st couple of years.

4. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

I think I miss your sig with a new #1 pick every other day

5. Perfect23

Perfect23 A True Fan

I still believe that we will go after Wallace or Jennings because they know Hartline is not a number 1

6. joeharley666

joeharley666 Banned Hammered

Think some of these posters have rocks in their heads. Hartline is going to be a very very good highly productive #2 receiver for this team. My god, the defenses went after Hartline and Bush and tried keying on shutting those guys down and look at the games and the season Hartline had. Especially for a guy who does not have #1 talent. You get a true #1, Hartline will shine AND score more TD's. don't understand why no one gets it and see's him for what he his.

7. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

I say Binns kicks *** next year. hahahahahaha!

no, he's a scrub. he dropped a TD pass vs. NE.

8. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

thats why i say spend the $ in a better way.rather than on oneguy who will demand 12 + million.get our future #1 wr in the draft just like we did last year with qb

9. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

With the Hartline pick, and the price for Jennings and Wallace being near or above the Bowe mark, I think we push hard for Cook and beef up our TE. Then get a speedster with our top 3 picks to complement Bess and Hartline. We have to push hard for Jennings and Wallace, if for no other reason than to drive the price up for someone else.

10. Dolphinokie

Dolphinokie Active Member

although signing Wallace or Jennings would be nice I don't believe it is critical if we draft right

11. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

more like 2 a week... things change... you think Ireland's idea of his #1 pick hasn't changed a lot?

12. z926538

z926538 Rookie

Actually I think Ireland settled a couple of weeks ago on the Offensive Tackle that he plans to take in the first round.

13. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

too bad there won't be one there worth taking

14. Dolphinokie

Dolphinokie Active Member

wish they could get that notre dame te in the draft n swoope is a must get late in the 2nd or in the 3rd

15. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

Hmm, this is an interesting scenario I've not entertained. I've all but assumed Wallace signing is a foregone conclusion. But signing Cook as an "instead of" Wallace then drafting two WRs is not one I've expected. Interesting one though

16. Stefins

Stefins Just a Dolphins Fan

My gut feeling is...
    We try to get Wallace...but he signs with Cleveland...
    We sign Jennings.
    We draft a WR with 2A.
    Draft Def with #1 pick.

We resign Long.
    Sean Smith is gone.

just a feeling

17. PhinMagic

PhinMagic Banned Hammered

Long is out the door. The days of paying over $10M for a guy that doesn't make any plays should soon be over.

18. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

I hope that's gas you're feeling because I'd be pissed if we don't come out with Wallace. I want to re-sign Long and replace Smith with Keenan Lewis (obvious because I have it on my sig :D ) but to me Wallace is the key to a successful offseason no matter what else we do. Not Jennings. :(

19. flynryan15

flynryan15 A True Fan Donator

I doubt Wallace goes to Cleveland to be spanked by his old team twice annually

20. MarSly

MarSly Well-Known Member

If we draft Swope I see Bess being traded..

21. Anvil35

Anvil35 Leave Users Titles Alone!! Finheaven VIP Donator

Even with Hartline seeming in the fold, I believe Jennings will be the target.

Bumpus likes this.
  22. Atila

Atila Atila - the freshmaker. Finheaven VIP

I remember reading long ago that Philbin likes to get his receivers in the draft. I don't think they are ready to make a Superbowl push next year and our front office and coach knows that. With that in mind, I look for them to upgrade the TE position with Cook/Finley/Keller/etc and then draft 2+ receivers in the first 3 rounds.

I don't see Philbin as the type of coach who is going to spend huge money on a FA receiver when he has had so much success with his own homegrown products in the past. Re-signing Hartline AND getting a strong TE gives us flexibility to not have to reach for a WR.

We have needs at CB, S, OG, TE in a bad way, I look for most of those to be addressed in FA so we can set ourselves up to go "BPA" throughout the draft.

Just my opinion.

23. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

Philbin's past like of drafting WRs doesn't take preeminence over that Ireland's contract renewal is on the line and has the necessity of winning and making the playoffs "this" year. Ireland and Philbin know that Wallace is a no ands ifs or buts about it. Ross is losing money if Ireland doesn't put butts in the seats. Rookie WRs that will need 2 years to develop is not happening if Ireland wants a job next year.....and "he's" calling the shots so.

24. MexDolfan

MexDolfan Seasoned Veteran

Nope.

Ryan Swope requires a year or two to grow.
    Davone's contract expires this season, so unless Ryan proves me wrong by exceeding expectations, Bess will be a critical piece of this offense in 2013.

25. cdz12250

cdz12250 FinHeaven VIP

Don't count your Hartlines before they're signed. Ireland is still quite capable of pissing him off so that he walks.

26. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

of course they go after WR's in draft and FA. Hartline is part of a team last year that went 7-9. we cant just re-sign all of the same players and hope they change. new blood and our rookies developing from last year will be the key to bridging the gap with NE

27. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

Hartline resigning at 6 mil gives me an uncomfortable feeling. Consider this, he will be making more then Jordy Nelson and is nowhere near the playmaker Nelson is. Don't get me wrong I like Hartline but not at 6 mil. It scares me to think the guy making these decisions think he is worth that amount, especially when we have a critical need to upgrade the WR Corps and this is step 1. Jennings or Wallace should have been the priority here not Hartline. There is nothing wrong with letting Hartline testing the market to determine a value to others then make a decision from there.

Keep in mind that there are additional holes to plug and Ireland has already spent 1/3 of the cap space on 2 questionable signings. Not the type of start I wanted to see.

28. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Meh the Nelson arguement annoys me. Joe Flacco now earns more than Rodgers is he better? You can be assured next time Nelson renews his contract he will earn much more than Hartline

29. MadDog 88

The point is Hartline should not be getting more then 3/14 and no Flacco shouldn't be getting paid like that but, the Ravens had no choice. That solidifies how ridiculous contracts are becoming and I am sure you agree that because the Ravens did it doesn't make it right.

30. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Meh I said before this deal I would pay Hartline 5-6 million so I wont complain now. You say contracts are getting too high but well thats the business the Dolphins are in now. The Dolphins see Hartline as a good number two complimentary piece, and 6m is what those players earn nowadays. Dont blame the player blame the system.

If he hit free agency he would get 6m if he is in Philbins plan then its betterr to lock him down now. Especially with Bowe and Welker coming off the market (which only pushes Hartlines value up)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2013
  31. Krush

Krush Finaholic Donator

That means no Jennings in Miami, but Wallace is still in play.

32. MadDog 88

I don't understand the logic here. Can you elaborate?

33. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Blame the hacks that view him as a good number two option.

34. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Donator

Hartline can be a good option as a number 2 depending on the situation. Get Mike Wallace, get Cook, draft Bailey or sope(insert your prefered rookie WR here) and you've got a good combination or speed, strenght, elusiveness and 3rd down options. So thats one situation where a guy with Hartline's skillset can be a good number 2 guy for a team. There are other ways and combination to accomplish this, but to just discount him as a bad number 2 option altogether...? I dont know bout that...