With the 16th pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins select... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

With the 16th pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins select...

My top two realistic hopefuls at this point are 1) Jimmy Williams and 2) Santonio Holmes. Williams is an immense talent that can contribute at both the Safety and Cornerback position. Unlike years past, we dont have a premier talent in the secondary so I dont see how we can pass on him if he is still available. If he's not on the board at #16, Holmes should be the pick. He brings more to the table than any other reciever in this draft including Jackson, who im not at all sold on.

I think most of us see that Nick is probably not going to go after secondary help with the 16th pick unless Michael Huff is there. We have just addressed it already in free agency and there doesnt seem to be that big of a need for it anymore.

At first I didn't like the idea of picking a WR in the first round because quite frankly I think Booker is an excellent number 2 posession type receiver. But I am warming up to the idea of Holmes. I dont think Chad Jackson is a better option because he is the typical example of a guy who shot up the draft boards because of his workout. He is good but most people were talking 2nd round before that. Not first WR taken.

There are some out there who are very high on Holmes. Not only is he very athletic but most importantly he is considered one of the best route runners to come out of college in the last few drafts. He knows the game and knows how to set up cornerbacks to make effective breaks. I think with his speed and his knowledge he could really be a great player in the league. Also, I seem to remember teams talking about his run blocking as being excellent. Although I could be wrong on that last fact.

It seems every year a top player drops.There is talk that Ngata and Huff may drop this year.You would have love one of those picks.

I really like Justice but he is on the rise and might be out of our reach.

I am hoping for a tradedown but I will be happy with any player Saban selects because I trust his judgement and he knows better than we do who will be the BPA for us.

BTW this thread belongs in the draft forum.

As much as I would like a LB, I think Greenway is bit of a stretch at 16. I think he is more of a mid 20's draft pick, making me think that Sabab will go another direction.

Just a thing to remember also is Braylon Edwards. Remember the articles that we read about Edwards saying that Saban had him believing that we were taking him at #2. He likes to blow smokescreens. My ideal scenario would be a trade down to the mid 20's and pick up a second rounder in the process.

I didn't mention that Holmes is very tough too. Makes catches in traffic.

+
Makes catches in traffic
Very Tough
Fast and athletic
Excellent route runner
bonus in run game
big game player (did anyone else see the Notre Dame Fiesta Bowl)
good hands
can be helpful on special teams
soft hands
consistent and very durable (never missed a game)

-
size

I can't understand why he isnt being discussed higher. Last year proved that you don't need to be 6'2"+ to be a good receiver in the NFL.

5'10" and 5/8ths with excellent jumping ability is not that bad and yet he seems to be highly downgraded because of his size.

Steve Smith, Santana Moss, Antwan Randle El all proved the size thing to be a myth. Even Chambers is only 5'11", but I guess he doesnt really play like that.

Santonio Holmes played in a conservative offense in Ohio St. I would love to know what he could have done in a more open offense.

Trade down twice to the end of the first and pick up two third rounders. Then select Nick Mangold, Center Ohio State with the first pick, a wr, cb and Olineman with the three thirds and a DT with the fourth.

Sign Harrington, Schulters and Ephraim before the draft and we'll be good to go.

DolphinDevil28 said:
Good chance he won't be there at 16.

I disagree. I think there's a strong chance Bunkley will be there at 16. I don't think Miami needs a DT though. And everyone needs to stop saying they want us to pick Huff. Forget it, he's definitely NOT going to be there. No true safety will be available at 16. It'll be either a late rounder...or the position will need to be addressed in FA, or by re-signing Schulters. I thought we had a shot at Winston Justice, but he did awesome at his pro-day, so he may be gone. It's a tough call.

miamirw said:
Trade down twice to the end of the first and pick up two third rounders. Then select Nick Mangold, Center Ohio State with the first pick, a wr, cb and Olineman with the three thirds and a DT with the fourth.

Sign Harrington, Schulters and Ephraim before the draft and we'll be good to go.

We have 2 guys who can play center and have progressed rather well thus far in thier careers.
We need safeties WAY MORE than we need corners. We have tremendous depth at corner...and are hurting at safety...and we're still light even if we do sign Schulters.

Trade down twice and get 2 third rounders???Really???
I think it's more likely to just trade down to Indy's pick for thier 1st and 2nd rounder.

SethDaddy~

I agree with you.....Trade with Indy for their late first plus their second seems reasonable. I would be excited if this happened. Do you think that Greenway is a stretch at 16?

Dolphins54 said:
SethDaddy~

I agree with you.....Trade with Indy for their late first plus their second seems reasonable. I would be excited if this happened. Do you think that Greenway is a stretch at 16?

Yes he is. Early on he was considered a top LB but now there are alot better options for LB over Greenway at 16.

Jimmy James said:
I hope beyond hope that Justice falls.

If Justice is around im sure Saban will take him. Although if hes not around look for Nick to trade our pick. That's what i think.

hardhitn said:
If Justice is around im sure Saban will take him. Although if hes not around look for Nick to trade our pick. That's what i think.

I think he meant to the second or third round. Justice should fall to 16th but would we really take him? Vernon Carey and LJ Shelton seem to be our answers at tackle next year and Houck is high on Anthony Alabi.

What are we turning into the Detroit Lions? Yeah we'd have a strong passing game if we picked up Holmes, but I'd say we have a much greater need for an OLB. You're only as strong as your weakest link, and considering we just signed an all-pro FB, and we have a pro bowl TE, we won't be running that many 3+ WR sets. We need to get an OLB that fits Saban's scheme and will help us this year and the next 10 years. That's why Lawson would be the best pick, and Greenway would be the 2nd best pick.

Sethdaddy8 said:
I disagree. I think there's a strong chance Bunkley will be there at 16. I don't think Miami needs a DT though.

I disagree, he's top 10. First DT off the board.

Motion said:
I disagree, he's top 10. First DT off the board.

I'd be shocked if he was picked before Ngata.

Back
Top Bottom