Without Tannehill, We'd be the Browns (In-depth research) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Without Tannehill, We'd be the Browns (In-depth research)

Aqua4Ever04

Active Roster
Reaction score
Spent most of the day (don't tell my boss) compiling this information and writing this piece. It's a collection of all the snap counts from players on the OL, at TE, WR and RB from 2012-2016.

Also, I took the numbers from each of the WRs/TEs, and compared their stats from the time with Miami, and the years after.

Spoiler alert, everyone got worse after leaving Miami.

https://www.lockedondolphins.com/tannehill-save/

Every year of Ryan Tannehill’s career, he has played with at least one offensive lineman (sans 2016) that graded among the five worst players at their position.

2012 – Jonathan Martin – bottom five tackle

2013 – Tyson Clabo – bottom five tackle

2014 – Darren Colledge – bottom five guard (Jason Fox and Shelly Smith did not qualify)

2015 – Billy Turner – bottom five tackle

2016 – No bottom five lineman – playoffs, 12th rated passer in the NFL

Last edited:

Seriously though,

I don't know if we'd be the Browns, but to remember people claiming Davone Bess was one of the NFL's elite playmakers while simultaneously arguing that the quarterback couldn't elevate anyone was pretty funny.

Sadly, the big takeaway from this piece is not that Ryan Tannehill is great, but more that we have surrounded him with hot garbage for most of his time here. I'm pretty sure you couldn't put together a worse OL than the 2015 unit that included Thomas, Turner, Douglas and Fox if you tried. Though in fairness to Jamil Douglas, he was a rookie who was shuffled around to 3 different OL positions he didn't play in college and is still on a roster somewhere.

Honestly, if the usual debbies don't have the time to read this, or can't comprehend it. Don't post. There will be plenty. For some reason plenty of people on here don't want to actually analyze the player, but would rather just look at win/losses usually.

Kudos Aqua4ever04 for posting this here, and not exclusively in vip. I hope you're ready to bang your head against the wall to defend your position. You'd think with all the "RT negativity" that poll Vaark posted would have much different results

The Browns have a boatload of picks and chitload of cap space by design. If they ever got a competent owner and coach staff they would dangerous.

Fortunately, should-be felon Jimmy Haslam is more interested in defrauding mom and pop trucker operations than running a winning football team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I think it is high time this FO gets it's act together and put a decent team together.

The Browns have a boatload of picks and chitload of cap space by design. If they ever got a competent owner and coach staff they would dangerous.

They just put a really good FO together. Dorsey is a damn good GM and they signed Wolf today.

If we arent very careful the Browns will quickly pass us

They just put a really good FO together. Dorsey is a damn good GM and they signed Wolf today.

In all honesty, it really wouldn't take much to pass the Dolphins right now. If the Browns find a capable qb they could easily win six games.

Brother I think they have already passed our front office with the quality of people they have hired.

Yikes. I'll Like it for the effort and the writing. As legitimacy, it flunks.

It helps to not be so much of a fan. That's what a young writer with a specialized interest needs to know, beyond anything else. There are very few gigs covering that isolated team. There is niche online stuff but that's low ceiling.

If you demonstrate balanced real world appraisal and break away from zealot Dolphin obsession and all the conclusions destined to fail, countless people have opportunity to be impressed and open doors for you. With this type of approach it's tap dancing on either side of silly.

Listen to that cbrad guy. He is an amazing resource. Don't copy his methods because that's not your style. But honor his conclusions. They will be exponentially superior to subjective yours.

The article makes so much sense. I have said it before and I will say it again, if you want a model of how not to develop a young talented qb, look no further than the Miami Dolphins. For more than half his career he was surrounded by garbage skill position players, horrible coaching, and an incompetent front office. For almost all of his career he has been protected by some of the worst offensive line play the NFL has to offer, and yet people believe that Tannehill has been the biggest issue with this team.

I am not delusional to think that Tannehill is Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, but I definitely think you can win with him if you built a good team around him. I would put him in the same tier of qb as Matt Ryan.

Last edited:
Honestly, if the usual debbies don't have the time to read this, or can't comprehend it. Don't post. There will be plenty. For some reason plenty of people on here don't want to actually analyze the player, but would rather just look at win/losses usually.

Kudos Aqua4ever04 for posting this here, and not exclusively in vip. I hope you're ready to bang your head against the wall to defend your position. You'd think with all the "RT negativity" that poll Vaark posted would have much different results

Oh I’m well trained in that area lol. It’s a microcosm of where we are in 2018. Everybody just arguing with the title but don’t actually read the content. They all want to be heard but don’t want to educate themselves on the topic.

And the guy starting a post with “yikes” and then acting like he’s trying to help me somehow. Really quite rich.

The article makes so much sense. I have said it before and I will say it again, if you want a model of how not to develop a young talented qb, look no further than the Miami Dolphins. For more than half his career he was surrounded by garbage skill position players, horrible coaching, and an incompetent front office. For almost all of his career he has been protected by some of the worst offensive line play the NFL has to offer, and yet people believe that Tannehill has been the biggest issue with this team.

I am not delusional to think that Tannehill is Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, but I definitely think you can win with him if you built a good team around him. I would put him in the same tier of qb as Matt Ryan.

I’m running out of ways to prove it. The film study isn’t enough. The raw data isn’t enough. Showing his impact on his teammates isn’t enough. That’s the problem with the esoteric game.

Back
Top Bottom