World Cup- USA | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

World Cup- USA

I always love the "imagine lebron or megatron" stuff... you seen what messi looks like? Lol

Are you saying that Jordan, Kobe, and James could not be strikers because they are too tall? Why?

The U.S. has a chance against Portugal if Ronaldo doesn't play, if he plays it's gonna be a tough test for the U.S. team. Germany is another ballgame and I don't think this U.S. team is up to the task.

Based on your pic, Argentina looks very good.

I always love the "imagine lebron or megatron" stuff... you seen what messi looks like? Lol

Or even Frank Ribery. That being said, you have to think if other sports did not exist or if the U.S. emphasis on soccer was at the top, the makeup of a tall, super quick and athletic striker up top would be a dynamic that defensive lines across the world would struggle with.

Also you could imagine it would be "easier" to find that Messi type when more eyes and more options make themselves available to soccer.

The thing with the US is that they don't put as much money towards or focus towards soccer. It ranks I'd say fifth behind, American football, basketball, hockey and baseball. I have to agree, if the US put more emphasis on soccer then who knows how dominant they can be especially with the the amount of people in this country.

Are you saying that Jordan, Kobe, and James could not be strikers because they are too tall? Why?

Not what I said in the slightest.

But being tall and able to catch a basketball has jack **** to do with being able to play this sport at a high level. Unless you want them all to be keepers I guess

not if they grew up playing soccer, they would be better conditioned. my point was what if the elite athletes in this huge country played soccer from the beginning? the US team would be damn good. the good athletes in this country go to football or basketball mainly.

A few things:

• Soccer players have to be able to run and run and run all day, and then fall down, get up and run some more. There's a reason more soccer players look like strong-legged marathoners than NFLers. Their bodies are tuned for endurance, not raw power/strength.
  • Speed is a good thing to have in soccer, but speed/quickness with the ball is even more important. In this regard, short striders with quick feet have a big advantage over long striders.
  • Height and jumping ability, as you might imagine, is secondary to the above. Even players who do have height (Peter Crouch, Mertesacker, Ibra) have quick/coordinated feet first and foremost.

not if they grew up playing soccer, they would be better conditioned. my point was what if the elite athletes in this huge country played soccer from the beginning? the US team would be damn good. the good athletes in this country go to football or basketball mainly.

if they actually had the talent to play soccer, yeah. it's not like this is something you simply decide on.

Not what I said in the slightest.

But being tall and able to catch a basketball has jack **** to do with being able to play this sport at a high level. Unless you want them all to be keepers I guess

Sorry, what was your point? Mine had absolutely nothing to do with being tall and able to catch a basketball.

A few things:

• Soccer players have to be able to run and run and run all day, and then fall down, get up and run some more. There's a reason more soccer players look like strong-legged marathoners than NFLers. Their bodies are tuned for endurance, not raw power/strength.
  • Speed is a good thing to have in soccer, but speed/quickness with the ball is even more important. In this regard, short striders with quick feet have a big advantage over long striders.
  • Height and jumping ability, as you might imagine, is secondary to the above. Even players who do have height (Peter Crouch, Mertesacker, Ibra) have quick/coordinated feet first and foremost.

Good points. I disagree on the conditioning. There's more standing, walking and jogging than running over a 90 minute match. NOT taking anything away from what soccer players do but, they would winded in having to go full speed 3 or 4 times up and down the court in the NBA. The human body has a tolerance level, and any athlete training for a specific sport would be in condition to play it.

Agree on the quickness but, guys like Jordan, Kobe, some point guards, and some RB's have that. Also, consider some NFL DB's like Revis, Grimes, and Dion. IF they played soccer all their lives, could they be great defenders? Again, just an interesting discussion on the "What If's."

The thing with the US is that they don't put as much money towards or focus towards soccer. It ranks I'd say fifth behind, American football, basketball, hockey and baseball. I have to agree, if the US put more emphasis on soccer then who knows how dominant they can be especially with the the amount of people in this country.

In many countries, athletes best shot out of poverty is soccer. It's not that much different in those choosing football or hoops to at least get to college with the BIG money Lotto shot at being Pro's.

One funny tidbit. I, like everyone, knows that CAPS is for how many international matches a player has played. At Happy Hour, the question came up as to what the letters CAPS stood for. No one knew, and we wasted time in trying to put words to the letters. Had to look it up to find that it stands for baseball caps received for the match, like those in the NBA and NFL.

After many years of watching soccer, I never knew that. lol

The issue initially was that the USSF initially put all their resources into one academy; IMG down in Bradenton. Which produced some talent but not enough to be considered a success. Now there's a better infrastructure both for the USSF, and the MLS (as well as the NASL and USL Pro) to where we have legit academies all over the country. It's not great YET, but you are starting to see some fruit coming from MLS Academies with international potential.

The issue initially was that the USSF initially put all their resources into one academy; IMG down in Bradenton. Which produced some talent but not enough to be considered a success. Now there's a better infrastructure both for the USSF, and the MLS (as well as the NASL and USL Pro) to where we have legit academies all over the country. It's not great YET, but you are starting to see some fruit coming from MLS Academies with international potential.

Don't know much on this. How do they select who attends? How long is it for?

Back
Top Bottom