World-wide interest in American Football | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

World-wide interest in American Football

Never say die

A Porpoise Driven Life....
Reaction score
I'd like to know the real deal in how American football is viewed in countries outside of the U.S. particularly the NFL.

Is their any real following, that goes beyond a handful of ex-patriates for example?

Are the broadcasts all late night UHF channel stuff.

Are kids routinely seen tossing a football, or playing pick-up games?

Do you see NFL jerseys on anything but fat american tourists?

Are there sports bars that have all the games showing and a bunch of rowdy cliques of fans that attend these?

What's the honest-to gawd truth of the way this game and the NFL are viewed abroad?

Thanks, graci, mer-cy, dunka-shain, webien, etc.

yup... I'm english thru and thru and love the sport.

I go down the park with my mates and toss a ball about.

we get 5 games shown live a week... and a hilite show.

people I know hav super bowl parties and me and my cousins hav draft parties.

finsnchips said:
yup... I'm english thru and thru and love the sport.

I go down the park with my mates and toss a ball about.

we get 5 games shown live a week... and a hilite show.

people I know hav super bowl parties and me and my cousins hav draft parties.

Whoa, I am a little shocked, I know football is "America's new pastime" but I thought soccer would be by far the most popular in your part of the globe and football would be tied for a distant second with rugby.......

phillyphinphan said:
Whoa, I am a little shocked, I know football is "America's new pastime" but I thought soccer would be by far the most popular in your part of the globe and football would be tied for a distant second with rugby.......

it actually is that way though, the english seem to be adapting to mor "major" sports now and so does the rest of the world, more like we have been with our sports and we also are adapting to soccer a little bit more, or at least our younger fans are, its more reverse of what the rest of the world is doing

soccer is the sport, its my sport as well.... cricket and rugby are also extremely popular... but sports like baseball and football are growing in popularity and basketball is played a lot in high skools.

we even have our own american sports channel over here. www.nasn.com

Cool, It probably would be a whole lot bigger if and when the High Schools got into it. Nothing like the atmospere of two hometown rivals sluggin' it out on a Friday night, with the players and cheerleaders cheating on each other with the rival players and cheerleaders afterwards!

All in all I'd love to see a true world league with quality teams from multiple continents......hope I live long enough to see it!

finsnchips said:
soccer is the sport, its my sport as well.... cricket and rugby are also extremely popular... but sports like baseball and football are growing in popularity and basketball is played a lot in high skools.

thats pretty sweet

Here in México american football is very popular. You see lots of people in the street wearing NFL clothes, specially cowboys, dolphins, steelers, 49ers and raiders stuff. Right know we have 2 games a week on national tv (monay night and a sunday afc game), like 5 years ago we had 4 sunday afternoon games, sunday night and monday night football.

College (mexican) american football is big in México, the most popular leaguea obviously is soccer, but after soccer i belive that college football and pro beaseball are tied for the second most popular leagues. Callege football games get crowds in between 10,000 and 70,000 people.

They also have sports bars in the main cities aswell--I wouldn't say that the NFL is as popular now as it was in the 80's--but the followers now are a lot more knowledgeable. Britain has its own league and as Fins said we get 3 or 4 games a week live. I also believe it is huge in Germany too

finsnchips said:

Do know how much it cost to have nasn Fins

I also believe it is huge in Germany too

From what I've seen on NFL europe, it looks to be the place where the NFL is biggest outside the U.S. and probably Mexico and Canada.

Aren't the majority of the teams in NFL Europe from Germany?

Are there any leagues in Europe that play American football that actually receive air play (outside of NFL Europe)?

hi, this is germany calling ;-) !

are you serious ? hey there is a big and still growing community of really crazy american footballfans here in germany !!!

since we're having the NFLE we're happy to see some games live, even if there's no comparison to the NFL-level. but it's close. and don't forget, guys like kurt warner, marcus robinson, jay fiedler (should have kept him here *grin*), dante hall and many many more have been playing here !

for example: EVERY SUNDAY nearly 20 - 50 people are meeting in a bar and watch the games on a big screen. we are connected to the NFL-stats and we are all totally crazy about fantasy football. hey, and these games will end at 2 a.m. in the night !!!!!! that's hard, when you have to leave your bed again at 6 a.m- !!! :-)

beleive i've met people from the states who have called themself big football fans and i knew much more about the game and the teams than they did !

we're having a big NFLE-party EVERY year on a ship on the river rhein. there are about 1.000 fans, a live-band, D.J.s, girls ..... onboard !!!!

hey, we are as crazy as you are ... and the crowd is still growing !

go FINS - kick J...S-*** !!!!!
Ralf

Lobotommy said:
hi, this is germany calling ;-) !

are you serious ? hey there is a big and still growing community of really crazy american footballfans here in germany !!!

since we're having the NFLE we're happy to see some games live, even if there's no comparison to the NFL-level. but it's close. and don't forget, guys like kurt warner, marcus robinson, jay fiedler (should have kept him here *grin*), dante hall and many many more have been playing here !

for example: EVERY SUNDAY nearly 20 - 50 people are meeting in a bar and watch the games on a big screen. we are connected to the NFL-stats and we are all totally crazy about fantasy football. hey, and these games will end at 2 a.m. in the night !!!!!! that's hard, when you have to leave your bed again at 6 a.m- !!! :-)

beleive i've met people from the states who have called themself big football fans and i knew much more about the game and the teams than they did !

we're having a big NFLE-party EVERY year on a ship on the river rhein. there are about 1.000 fans, a live-band, D.J.s, girls ..... onboard !!!!

hey, we are as crazy as you are ... and the crowd is still growing !

go FINS - kick J...S-*** !!!!!
Ralf

Love it, if I am ever in Germany I will look you up... bands, DJs, girls and Football... I am sure some great Beer also....

yes the germans love american football, but the problem here is, that you still can\t get much info about the NFL, the only real source you can use is still the internet, watching nfl games live is only possible if you have a subscription with the local pay tv network called premiere and they normally just get the rights in time to show some games live, some games live means , 1 @ 1pm and 1@ 4 pm your time, they also show the monday night game live, but no sunday night football or any pregame stuff, i for myself call me a lucky guy, since i have a neighbour in my house who is a retired american GI and therefore has an AFN decoder hooked up, so we get everything we want, can choose between like 3 games at 1 pm and like 3 at 4 pm, sunday night is available too, no dolphin game guarantee though and this truly suckz, but at least i can see a lots of games and follow my phins on radio or internet if not on tv

GreenMonster said:
Love it, if I am ever in Germany I will look you up... bands, DJs, girls and Football... I am sure some great Beer also....

hey, EVERYBODY who will ever be in düsseldorf is invited to visit us !
we already have lots of friendships to US-fans.
letÄs have a beer, let's have fun and let's watch some football, if possible!

YOU'RE WELCOME A N Y TIME !!!!!

Back
Top Bottom