Worst LB in football? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Worst LB in football?

I'd take Blake Martinez over anyone we played last year.

This year's LB unit still has questions as well. Timmons has never played professionally in a one gap scheme and McMillian will have his rookie bumps. But I don't see them as the worst so at least we have that going for us.

I concur.

Pretty pessimistic...Kiko's bad year in Philly was better statisitcly than Martinez last year. As Kiko showed last year he can be dynamic, with 6 take a ways and over 100 tackles with no support.

Why would you think Burke's defense will disappoint? Everyone who has ever been around him is very impressed with him. He was just on NFL.com list of he next wave of head coaches. We helped him out by giving him so many new pieces from last year. The dline, LB, and secondary all got help. I don't think we will move from the bottom of the league to top 10, but top 15 isn't out of the question.

The Giants spent money wisely on their DL, which is one of the best in football, so good that it can mask any deficiencies from their LB group. They replaced Hankins by drafting Alabama's Dalvin Tomlinson one spot before us in the 2nd (you could argue Miami should've taken him), adding him with OV, JPP and Harrison and their DL will probably be even better

But what they have on DL doesn't change the talent at LB. They may be able to mask the deficiencies at the position, but that doesn't make their LBs better than ours

Kiko's bad year in Philly was better statisitcly than Martinez last year. As Kiko showed last year he can be dynamic, with 6 take a ways and over 100 tackles with no support.

Tackles are the most overrated defensive statistic. NE's Dont'a Hightower had an excellent year last season yet had a mere 31 tackles. Likewise, Martinez is also a smart and efficient defender. A defense's job is to get the **** off the field, not accumulate tackles. Concerning Alonso, the amount of tackles he had means very little when the majority of them occur 5+ yards downfield vs the run.

Why would you think Burke's defense will disappoint?

His coaching tree and his statements of staying with the same scheme.

I'm gonna go along with this and Kiko Alonzo is better than anything the packers throw out there at lb and it's not close

If I was the Green Bay packers had Miami placed a 2nd round tender on Kiko I would have been on it like white on rice.

GB has an excellent front office so they would've never done that, better restricted players have received no interest from other teams when that high a draft pick is on the line. Nobody was giving up a 2nd for Kiko, despite his age and draft status this is a guy that was traded away by 2 different teams in his first 4 seasons.

Tackles are the most overrated defensive statistic. NE's Dont'a Hightower had an excellent year last season yet had a mere 31 tackles. Likewise, Martinez is also a smart and efficient defender. A defense's job is to get the **** off the field, not accumulate tackles. Concerning Alonso, the amount of tackles he had means very little when the majority of them occur 5+ yards downfield vs the run.

Do you like Miami? Green Bay had the 12th worst scoring defense, so I don't know Blake was getting off the field. He also had 1 int compared 6 turnovers Kiko had. Tackles are overrated? I guess Zach, Brian U., Ray Lewis were over rated, as they always lead the league in tackles. Are turnovers over rated? Is Kiko perfect, nope. Did he put up a good year with no help last year? Absolutely.

Burke is a clean slate. He is staying with the same scheme, but changing things like moving defenders around. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, as I want this team to succeed.

Do you like Miami? Green Bay had the 12th worst scoring defense, so I don't know Blake was getting off the field. He also had 1 int compared 6 turnovers Kiko had. Tackles are overrated? I guess Zach, Brian U., Ray Lewis were over rated, as they always lead the league in tackles.

Look into how those 4-3 defenses differed from our current scheme. Their design was the biggest difference with those MLB's and their production. Those 3 also excelled in the second most important fundamental skill that LB's need and that is shedding blocks. Something at which Alonso is horrible at.

Burke is a clean slate. He is staying with the same scheme, but changing things like moving defenders around. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, as I want this team to succeed.

If only I could be as good as a fan as you are. Maybe if I strive better to do so the Dolphins will play better in return.

Last edited:
Strange article. Miami hates playing in cold weather? Says who? They won at the Jets and in Buffalo last year.

He also says the defense is **** yet losing Joseph is a negative? How does that equate?

Vance Joseph didn't give a **** about stopping the run, he openly admitted that much. He favored pass defense over run defense.

The wide nine should only be played when we're in the lead.

Hayes should help...It's all about Phillips, though.

Timmons is the barometer for the LB's, Raekwon is just gravy and if Kiko can shoot gaps instead of being asked to shed blockers, por favor...

Look into how those 4-3 defenses differed from our current scheme. Their design was the biggest difference with those MLB's and their production. Those 3 also excelled in the second most important fundamental skill that LB's need and that is shedding blocks. Something at which Alonso is horrible at.

If only I could be as good as a fan as you are. Maybe if I strive better to do so the Dolphins will play better in return.

Maybe! We went to the playoffs last year, and Gase has earned some trust. If he hired Burke I have faith it will probably work out. He gave him a lot of new toys to play with, so we should see a huge improvement. If it doesn't I also have faith Gase will nip it in the bud.

His coaching trees?!?! Jim Schwartz and Marvin Lewis aren't good enough for you? Wow.

His coaching trees?!?! Jim Schwartz and Marvin Lewis aren't good enough for you? Wow.

Check their playoff success, more specifically how poorly their defensive schemes have fared in the postseason, and get back to me.

Stank ass gym shorts.

Vance Joseph didn't give a **** about stopping the run, he openly admitted that much. He favored pass defense over run defense.

The wide nine should only be played when we're in the lead.

Hayes should help...It's all about Phillips, though.

Timmons is the barometer for the LB's, Raekwon is just gravy and if Kiko can shoot gaps instead of being asked to shed blockers, por favor...

Not happening. With the exception of when a linebacker is being read on an option play or RPO, a linebacker is assigned to be blocked by an offensive player on every run play. This especially holds true for our one gap scheme.

And speaking of one gap defensive fronts, Timmons has never played professionally in one. He's always had the benefit of the DL occupying multiple gaps allowing him to flow more freely over the top.

Check their playoff success, more specifically how poorly their defensive schemes have fared in the postseason, and get back to me.
Stank *** gym shorts.

Yeah that damn SB ring Marvin won as a DC of the ravens, and Jim making the SB with TN just sucks. I guess Gase will suck too because John Fox couldn't win the big one, and the Denver offense got killed against the Seahawks. A coaching tree doesn't define anything. Look at all the failures on Bill's coaching tree, and zero successes.

This is Burke's first DC job. You don't know what we are going to see. I am optimistic Gase wasn't a moron hiring him.

GB has an excellent front office so they would've never done that, better restricted players have received no interest from other teams when that high a draft pick is on the line. Nobody was giving up a 2nd for Kiko, despite his age and draft status this is a guy that was traded away by 2 different teams in his first 4 seasons.

Only reason they wouldn't would be the back 7 specifically the corner situation was a train wreck in 2016 thus they invested both their top picks in corner types to try and right the ship. Blake Martinez has athletic limitations that will always limit the players impact.

In the late 2nd round after Miami and Houston picked the last 2 worthy lbs that can play early and size wise fit the scheme lb was pretty much picked clean. If you are telling me it's Kiko or those other options I'm taking Kiko although admittedly I'd rather have had another year at the tender before I did any long term extension and in trade teams don't do one year rentals and give up even late 2nd round pick compensation.

Green bays lb situation in 2017 is a massive hole.

Yeah that damn SB ring Marvin won as a DC of the ravens, and Jim making the SB with TN just sucks. I guess Gase will suck too because John Fox couldn't win the big one, and the Denver offense got killed against the Seahawks. A coaching tree doesn't define anything. Look at all the failures on Bill's coaching tree, and zero successes.

Lewis didn't run the same defense that he did in Baltimore when Burke coached under him in Cincinnati and it's cute the credit that you give Schwartz in Tennessee as he wasn't the coordinator or even a positional coach.

Want to talk about the importance of defense and scheme? Denver won the SB because of their defense and Wade Phillips . . . the season after Gase left and that prolific offense was no more.

Coaches that worked for Belichick may not have become worthy head coaches but he has produced a few very successful coordinators. Currently DC's Crennel in Houston and Pees in Baltimore are very good.

Back
Top Bottom